Join for free
Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 04:46 AM

Re: Why the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor

What about the example of a woman who is 20-something, possibly thirty who has had to divorce her husband after he was being unfaithful and turned nasty towards her?

She has two young children of toddler age and has had to use all her money available buying her way out of wedlock to be free of this man who abused her. She has moved into a rented house, dark and dingy with no furniture and is surviving on her basic wage to feed and clothe her kids. She has barely enough money left for herself and no chance of going out enjoying herself, her only priority is to ensure that her children grow up through schooling as well as possible, struggling as she does with very little help from anyone. She won't go to the benefit offices but borrows from her generous family and always manages to pay them back.

Anyway, years go by and she has no option but to apply for credit cards and a loan just to get by, paying the minimum amount each month. But these debts escalate and even though she now has two teenage daughters, she owes thousands and struggles to pay it all off. It's a vicious circle and she simply cannot claw her way back out of this debt.

She meets another man when her daughters are in senior school and he puts some money into her house deeds and they share the mortgage. he has credit card consolidation loan of his own though and they carry on being cautious but trying to enjoy their life.

20 years on and they are nearly out of debt, the two girls have grown up with families of their own and there is a light at the end of the tunnel at last.

The moral of this tale is that no, it is not easy to sort out your debts. Everybody has different situations and although some of the more wealthy members of this forum may disagree, I speak from the real world.

By the way, the woman in question is my wife.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 07:34 AM

I never understand these situations Floydy .
Surely a man must pay support for his own children ?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I never understand these situations Floydy .
Surely a man must pay support for his own children ?
He probably had to pay some kind of Child Maintenance until they were a certain age, Muddy. I don't know how it works.

My main reason for mentioning this issue was basically to highlight the fact that certain people on here do not understand why many people (who they will probably judge as being "common") live their lives. Not everybody is born into money or has a priveleged lifestyle as those who simply are out of touch with reality. They need bringing down to earth and seeing how actual working people live their lives.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 07:58 AM

It's all a matter of luck and choices though isn't it ?
Some of us make good choices or just get lucky in life .
Some people are astute others dreamers.
Others make bad choices that they thought were good ones at the time .
That is life .
Very few people plan their lives but there are those who do ,they know what they want to be from the first , they have direction
Others just go with the flow not always a good thing .
You can swim but you can also sink.
I think it was Dudley Moore who talked about the long banana skin .
The one that causes so many people set backs in life .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 08:04 AM

There are just those folks also, who spend a life, trying to do the right thing, that is what I read into Floydys post.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-01-2019, 08:11 AM

I think that most people try to do the right thing in life .
You can do the right ting and still be lucky or unlucky .
It's best however to do something .
So many people ( myself included ) drift through life a the whims of currents and fortune.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-01-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There are just those folks also, who spend a life, trying to do the right thing, that is what I read into Floydys post.
Thanks bud. Hit the nail on the head there. Shame it's been missed by others as my post was extremely heartfelt and difficult to talk about but I do feel this issue was worth talking about as it happens so often in real life.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
What about the example of a woman who is 20-something, possibly thirty who has had to divorce her husband after he was being unfaithful and turned nasty towards her?

She has two young children of toddler age and has had to use all her money available buying her way out of wedlock to be free of this man who abused her. She has moved into a rented house, dark and dingy with no furniture and is surviving on her basic wage to feed and clothe her kids. She has barely enough money left for herself and no chance of going out enjoying herself, her only priority is to ensure that her children grow up through schooling as well as possible, struggling as she does with very little help from anyone. She won't go to the benefit offices but borrows from her generous family and always manages to pay them back.

Anyway, years go by and she has no option but to apply for credit cards and a loan just to get by, paying the minimum amount each month. But these debts escalate and even though she now has two teenage daughters, she owes thousands and struggles to pay it all off. It's a vicious circle and she simply cannot claw her way back out of this debt.

She meets another man when her daughters are in senior school and he puts some money into her house deeds and they share the mortgage. he has credit card consolidation loan of his own though and they carry on being cautious but trying to enjoy their life.

20 years on and they are nearly out of debt, the two girls have grown up with families of their own and there is a light at the end of the tunnel at last.

The moral of this tale is that no, it is not easy to sort out your debts. Everybody has different situations and although some of the more wealthy members of this forum may disagree, I speak from the real world.

By the way, the woman in question is my wife.
Decent people often have to borrow I know exactly what you mean even though I have not experienced what you speak of. I always think I could become a statistic with just a couple of things going wrong. People with a lot of money don't seem realise they may be in that same position themselves with just a couple of different turns in their lives.

I also think it's harder than ever for young people to live within their means when they see lives they feel they should have and can't attain that level. Even getting a home these days is far harder than it used to be.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sorry but you're clearly only offering half the story there. If she was married and separated with 2 kids then the father HAS to pay Child Maintenance for many years so no, she wouldn't be without money.

"Child Maintenance is legally payable for a child until they reach the age of sixteen if they go into full time employment or up to the age of 20 if they continue in full time education up to A Level/Higher/Advanced Higher or equivalent"
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Sorry but you're clearly only offering half the story there. If she was married and separated with 2 kids then the father HAS to pay Child Maintenance for many years so no, she wouldn't be without money.

"Child Maintenance is legally payable for a child until they reach the age of sixteen if they go into full time employment or up to the age of 20 if they continue in full time education up to A Level/Higher/Advanced Higher or equivalent"
Catching a father or making them pay is often just not possible realist. Can't get blood from a stone comes to mind.

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top