Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 11:17 PM

Re: Online Brexit petition

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You believe Project Fear if you want to. This gentleman is not for turning!
I don't recall "project fear" has said what I just did. Plus nobody is trying to "turn" you. I was just answering your question. They are far bigger than us economically. No deal is also going to push Ireland into reuniting. Brexit has totally scrooed up the Good Friday agreement. How is no deal going to help that situation?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote Banchory "Absolute rubbish, The Article 50 process defines a period of 2 years to make the necessary arrangements and agreements to leave"

Absolute rubbish, The Article 50 process defines a maximum period of 2 years to make the necessary arrangements and agreements to leave or we leave without agreement. Tick Tock.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Quote Banchory "Absolute rubbish, The Article 50 process defines a period of 2 years to make the necessary arrangements and agreements to leave"

Absolute rubbish, The Article 50 process defines a maximum period of 2 years to make the necessary arrangements and agreements to leave or we leave without agreement. Tick Tock.
Or can be extended beyond 29 March 2019 by agreement of the 27 other members

It can also be revoked after that date if the European Council agrees to extend the transition period of Article 50 beyond 29 March 2019

But the point was that those that argue we should have left immediately after the invoking of Article 50 and reneging on the transition period have no idea of the damage that would have done to the UK’s international reputation
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
I am not a believer in anything but non violent protest and am of the opinion that any who partake in or advocate such actions should be met with the full force of the law.
Similarly, so should any member of parliament who acts outside of the law.
Banchory, we have had a succession of Prime Ministers and politicians who have acted completely against the UK's established constitution. How come they didn't get dealt with the full force of the law?

How were a bunch of politicians able to run roughshod over that constitution, how were they able to completely ignore it and by stealth, transfer the sovereignty of this country over to a foreign power, the EU?

These people should be put on trial for what they did.

In the face of such treachery and outright betrayal of the UK people, how should the people react? By standing on a street with placards saying "please give us our country back"?

This country has been invaded from within. A silent war conducted behind closed doors. The damage must be repaired, the actions of the unlawful reversed and undone. The perpetrators slung in prison or expelled from the country.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
As you wish Barry.

I'm for Leaving. Not wishy washy Staying.
No need to bandy insults around, we both want to achieve the same objective but in different ways.

My point is that there are very many businesses that depend on continued, seamless trade and movement of goods between the EU and Britain. These businesses provide thousands of livelihoods which in my opinion we have no right to risk unnecessarily, so by leaving with a deal and with a transition period that risk would be minimised. Personally I think that is an eminently sensible stance.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 09:38 AM

DOMINIC LAWSON: Macron risking recession just to teach Britain lesson

https://mol.im/a/6613603

There's no doubt about who is the favourite politician of anti- Brexiters in this country.
It's someone who doesn't even stand for election here. It's not Tony Blair, still less John Major.
No; their hero is Emmanuel Macron, the President of the Republic of France.
Last week the Independent online newspaper (which campaigns for a second Brexit referendum to overturn the result of the first) adoringly headlined an account of Macron's latest attack on Brexit as follows: 'French President delivers brilliant speech after Theresa May's deal is rejected by MPs.'

Actually, it's well worth looking at Macron delivering his onslaught to an audience in Normandy, an area of northern France not far from the Pas-de-Calais region, which is especially vulnerable to any trade disruptions in the event of a 'no-deal' Brexit.
Their President attempted to reassure them that it would be the 'British who would be the first to suffer' if there were such an outcome, and went on, not for the first time, to denounce what he termed 'the lies' of the Brexit campaign.
But then he immediately unleashed two porkies of his own: 'The British people can't afford not to have a plane taking off or landing in their country; and 70 per cent of their supermarket supplies come from continental Europe.'
In other words, if the British Parliament doesn't accede to the terms brokered by the European Commission, its people will be cut off from the rest of the world and starve.
The actual figures, as supplied by the UK's Office for National Statistics, are that 30 per cent of the food we consume is supplied by the EU. Macron's boast of 70 per cent is either extreme grandiosity (not unusual for him) or a deliberate untruth.
Apocalyptic
And if there were a disorderly Brexit accompanied by the imposition of tariffs on food between the UK and the EU, I would imagine the cheese producers of Normandy might be the least delighted of all.
Personally, I would regret it, too, as I adore French cheese, but our domestic producers are increasingly imaginative and entrepreneurial: why, there is even something called Somerset Brie.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
No need to bandy insults around, we both want to achieve the same objective but in different ways.

My point is that there are very many businesses that depend on continued, seamless trade and movement of goods between the EU and Britain. These businesses provide thousands of livelihoods which in my opinion we have no right to risk unnecessarily, so by leaving with a deal and with a transition period that risk would be minimised. Personally I think that is an eminently sensible stance.
And there are more within the EU could do better outside it Barry. I think it's about 95% don't import or export but who are controlled by EU red tape.

One thing amazes me is how many veterinary drugs are banned or exorbitantly priced because of the EU. Why can't we treat our dogs with cheaper drugs that make them unsuitable for human consumption ? because EU insists they must comply with being ready to be eaten ! Don't know about anyone else here but that appears madness to me I'd starve rather than eat my chihuahua
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 11:53 AM

Guy on the radio the other day said there are 220,000 uk business’s that trade partly in Europe , yet millions of business’s have to be euro governed ... as I’ve asked many times but yet to have a remainer answer ... why to trade in Europe ( something we have done since Roman times) must I open my door to 500,000,000 Europeans ?
If I traded with America I doubt they would agree everyone in the uk could move there , I certainly know Australia and NZ have border controls ... so if I agree migration is good but CONTROLLED MIGRATION is everywhere else then why must I open my doors simply to buy a Porsche ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 11:59 AM

I don't believe that for a second Barry. You are clearly NOT for Leaving. You would be happy to stay, eithe rtotally or with some half in half out fudge.

My point is that there are very many businesses that depend on continued, seamless trade and movement of goods between the EU and Britain. These businesses provide thousands of livelihoods which in my opinion we have no right to risk unnecessarily
We owe nothing to businesses and people operating within them who are conducting trade with a totalitarian dictatorship. You stance is untennable.

As a country it is vital that we break away from that impending totalitarian state. It is vital for the ongoing and future freedoms of literally millions of people. Putting that at risk to save the livelihoods of a tiny few is a ridiculous concept. This country has EVERY RIGHT to sever links with a foreign power that has usurped its sovereignty and judicial system by stealth.

Once we Leave we can negotiate new trade deals with the EU on a reasonable basis. Then your precious companies can adapt and adjust accordingly.

What puts these companies and people's jobs at risk is not actually the prospect of Leaving, but rather the continued actions of those desperately trying to scupper the entire thing to see BrExit cancelled. It is those treacherous individuals that are causing all the doubt and uncertainties and causing companies to hold back on taking the real ctions they need to take to cope with BrExit.

The government should just come right out and say "We ARE leaving in March with No Deal, everyone get ready for it"
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Guy on the radio the other day said there are 220,000 uk business’s that trade partly in Europe , yet millions of business’s have to be euro governed ... as I’ve asked many times but yet to have a remainer answer ... why to trade in Europe ( something we have done since Roman times) must I open my door to 500,000,000 Europeans ?
If I traded with America I doubt they would agree everyone in the uk could move there , I certainly know Australia and NZ have border controls ... so if I agree migration is good but CONTROLLED MIGRATION is everywhere else then why must I open my doors simply to buy a Porsche ?
Too true I know if we trade with many countries I wouldn't as a manual worker be made welcome to live there as they have enough like me already. Same applies here IMO.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top