Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 11:12 AM

M1 @ Flitwick

My journey into work involves going under or over the M1, depending on the route that I choose and I pass a point near the Flitwick M1 exit, which isn't far from where I actually work.

Four times this year so far I've seen huge queues at a standstill near this point and twice it's been swarming with Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulances attending what looks like a serious incident.

This morning it seems there's been another crash at almost exactly the same point so I'm beginning to wonder what is actually causing this at the same point so many times.

I rarely use the M1 from Milton Keynes and prefer to join it further down near Dunstable if I have to use it because it always seemed rather dangerous to me so it's obviously got worse with the increasing traffic.

On Thurday I used the M40 and that's getting just as bad from where I join until the M25 junction where you often get cars, vans or even trucks overtaking you from both sides when you are in fact on the National Speed Limit and in the correct lane for the M40.

For us to get down to see MIL it's either the M1 or M40 but if this gets worse I'll seriously consider giving up on motorways completely.

Do you get nervous on motorways these days? stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Re: M1 @ Flitwick

I have never driven on a motorway I don't like them at all my husband however is 4 or 5 times a day on the M25 and stories he comes home with do nothing to encourage me to try driving on the motorway system
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 11:22 AM

I don't drive myself. Saying that I think there was a programme on
the M1 last year. This junction and the underpass was newly made
I think if this is the correct one. They said that the road joining
might not work as they are going faster and also you come upon
this roundabout or something without warning if you don't know the
area.
If its wrong sorry but I am sure it was mentioned as Flitwick.
Might be something on the net about all of the facts. My brain
is going so cant remember everything what was said now.
I have slept since then.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Do you get nervous on motorways these days? stevmk2
Yes I do Steve even more so since a few years ago when my son and DIL got stuck in a holdup on the M40 for 4 hours , I would have been a jibbering wreck by then

I have just declined the offer of a day out which involved spending hours on the M5 motorway, thank goodness I have Chloe as excuse.

ETA Steve the incident you mentioned was on the news earlier, a crash between a coach and a car I think closed the M1.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 12:30 PM

I`m old enough to remember Flitwick as a small place,MK did not exist and folks would drive out to a bridge a bit past Cranfield to look at the M1.

Later,before my driving phobia,I thought nothing of driving down the M1 from Leeds to junction 13 but today?????-not a chance
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 02:15 PM

Some woman almost wiped me out on the M40, junction 2 Beaconsfield, she came down the slip road heading towards the M25, I was in lane 2 doing 70mph leaving the inside lane clear for anyone wanting to enter, she didn't just want lane one, she shot straight in front of me to the outside lane, missed the front of my car by inches.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 03:19 PM

Apparently 3 died in the M1 accident this morning.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 03:37 PM

I frequently use the M20 which is without doubt the worst motorway I have ever driven on. There is a constant convoy of huge Articulated Lorries arriving at Dover from all over the continent. French, Spanish, Polish Croatian and a variety of others. Most of these drivers are used to primarily driving on the "other" side of the road while on the continent. More often than not they clog up the nearside lane but frequently one or more will break ranks and swerve into the centre, overtaking lane without any signals and sometimes even into the "fast" lane, then realise the don't have the power to actually overtake. Apparently according to the powers that be, Kent now has the most dangerous roads in Britain and most accidents occur in Kent. Deep Joy!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I frequently use the M20 which is without doubt the worst motorway I have ever driven on. There is a constant convoy of huge Articulated Lorries arriving at Dover from all over the continent. French, Spanish, Polish Croatian and a variety of others. Most of these drivers are used to primarily driving on the "other" side of the road while on the continent. More often than not they clog up the nearside lane but frequently one or more will break ranks and swerve into the centre, overtaking lane without any signals and sometimes even into the "fast" lane, then realise the don't have the power to actually overtake. Apparently according to the powers that be, Kent now has the most dangerous roads in Britain and most accidents occur in Kent. Deep Joy!!
...my knees are shaking now I am off bury the car keys .
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2015, 06:19 PM

3 dead @ Flitwick crash on the M1 - can't believe it and I feel so sad for the friends and relatives. stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top