Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:26 PM

My long trip?

Here's a problem or question for you

Since being a teenager I have enjoyed hiking, camping & backpacking, gradually building up to quite serious mountain walking, backpacking trips in remote parts of The Scottish Highlands, and so on

At about 40 I developed rheumatoid arthritis, not too bad, and though I could no longer do hard scrambling or very long days in the hills, I could still manage about 10 miles a day and backpacking in easier country

Somehow I never got round to learning to ride a pushbike, but I seem to have managed OK this far, at nearly 65

I enjoy reading accounts of people who have done long trips, by foot or bike, such as round the British coastline; round the circumference/perimeter of Wales; the length of Scotland, from the Border to the north coast; and have met a couple of people who have done Lands End - John O' Groats; you get the idea

When I took early retirement I had plans - a Coast to Coast of my own planning; visit my daughter in Gloucester and walk back home to Burnley; walk to visit friends near Stratford-upon-Avon; and a couple of others

Sod's law though, my arthritis has flared up and now I can only manage a few miles a day, and the aching builds up so that it becomes too much after 3 or 4 days. It's there before that and so takes the pleasure off a walk anyway

But I still have that feeling of itchy feet, or frustration, and a desire to go on a long trip, so what can I do?

It would have to involve camping, as I couldn't afford a hotel or B&B every night. Simply catching a train wouldn't be very satisfying, as it's the journey itself that I want

I'd thought of two possibilities-

To use my bus pass on local buses and join up the dots, as it were, and look for cheap B&Bs, or campsites on the outskirts of towns.
Get a cheap hatchback like an old Fiesta for a couple of hundred quid, and chug along the minor roads

Any advice or comments would be gratefully received.
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:40 PM

Re: My long trip?

Quite a few old railway lines around the country have been turned into walkways and cycle routes.
Its easy walking, no steep inclines and you will find towns and villages plus camp sites along the way.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:47 PM

It's all great what you've done so far.. see if there is any hike n ride holiday's on-line or do a sponsored walk for Rheumatoid Arthritis, someone may help you along, maybe travel by mobility scooter and the rest of the way walk? they maybe a lot of possibilities if you look on-line and see what other people have done
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 08:08 PM

I have to say a cheap car sounds a great idea. Drive around a few places. Have a few short walks. Book cheap b & b's. That sounds good to me.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 08:18 PM

Id go for your first choice use your bus pass to move around the country ,it wont cost anything like a car ,you can stop at Travellodges in each town ,if you book well in advance you can get some really cheap nights ,
I have given this some thought for when i get my Bus Pass,
And i shall be doing something similar .
Edit to say
Campings alright when you are young but if you have arthritis now lying on a cold damp floor of a tent is not going to do your bones any good .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 09:16 PM

And I don't know about you zuludog, but I have great difficulty getting up from the floor with my RA and stiff joints. If I bend my knees...fatal! I need help.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 10:41 PM

JAZZI & ELIZA Thanks for your comments on RA & camping; it's obvious when you put it clearly

A brief Surf has revealed Fiestas at £250 to £350. They are obviously older models, the Mk 2 I think, but as far as I'm concerned, that's an advantage; no electronics and manual everything.
I've been in modern cars as a passenger or driven modern hire cars, and I don't like the styling. They seem too enclosed, restrictive, and difficult to see out of the rear side windows

Still, at the moment I'm not taking any medication for RA, so there's scope to do so

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top