Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 12:24 AM

Day Trips?

Where do you like to go for a day out? We've just been reminiscing about Keswick in the Lake District, a lovely place we visited a few years ago, steeped in history with an interesting town centre
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 04:16 AM

Re: Day Trips?

Loch Lomond is a favourite
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 08:29 AM

I love going on coach trips for days out. Have explored most of Northumberland that way - and it is a beautiful area. The Lake District is magical as well, but if I could choose only one - it would have to be the seaside - I love the sea - in all it's many moods.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 09:39 AM

All along the south coast from Margate to Weymouth, New Forest, Glastonbury, or nearer home Frensham ponds little and big, Churt, Shalford, Godalming, and many more. We wander off in the car or the campervan and set our selves up with a picnic and a ball game and a nice walk for the dogs.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 09:55 AM

Take the train to Sydney. The line runs along the edge of the blue Pacific Ocean then through the Royal National Park, has to be one of the best rail journeys in the world.(crap for commuters, average speed 45kph)

Spend the day on Sydney Harbour (bus & ferries included in the fare) or wander round The Rocks then back again in the evening.

Even better - Pensioner excursion $2.50 return. (£1.25)
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 10:00 AM

The seaside is usually my preference for a day out. Somewhere not too far to travel. Skegness is our nearest - though Blackpool isn't much further.

I also like York - and much nearer to home we have Matlock & Matlock Bath.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 10:21 AM

Help, I've got nostalgia..
As a youngster, a good day trip was to Girvan or Ayr. Sadly, Ayr looked a bit shabby when I was last there.
I must agree about Keswick - a lovely little town. When Dianne and me first went there, it was a tad quieter and you could actually park without having to mortgage your house. We often stop there on the way to/from visiting our daughters in the midlands. It has a lot of good outdoor wear shops.
Julie, I lived most of my life down the A3 from you in Horndean. We used to head out to the South Downs or along the coast to Bracklesham Bay or the Witterings with our camper. A couple of times a year we would visit the vineyards in Sussex & Kent and buy a couple of cases. I still buy wine and cider by mail order from Biddenden.

Now, day trips are mostly along the coast to places like Cullen in one direction or Cruden Bay in the other. Both have great beaches. Royal Deeside & Balmoral are also within range for a day trip.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 10:54 AM

A place i love is just over the Scottish border, Langholm moor, typically at this time of year driving up to Kielder reservoir, an onward over the border to watch displaying birds of prey A few thermals encourage a lot of activity.

Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Peregrine, Merlin, Goshawk, Kestrel, Osprey, Hen Harrier, and Golden Eagle have all delighted in the past.

Scarborough a lovely old fashioned seaside destination.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 12:30 PM

Always prefer a day out in the countryside rather than the coast so for me somewhere like Bakewell, Tideswell and Buxton areas are within reach and quite often Haworth and Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire - lovely countryside and teashops, too.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 12:34 PM

Ooh I love my day trips! And they are usually to the seaside, or on coaches, like Silver Tabby. We have Wests here in London but they do not go out every day. Getting a bit expensive now so sometimes I use my National Express age 60 discount card to get a third off and shoot off somewhere like Bournemouth.

At the moment as you know I am starting to use the SW Trains Spring Fanfare promotion at £15 day return. Might go somewhere else this Friday.

Would love to take the car out but my windscreen wipers are STILL playing up. Took the car out Sunday and they started again. Oh dear.

Or. I just use my Freedom Pass and go maybe to London or suburbs, and always taking a flask of coffee and packed lunch. Love it love it love it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top