Join for free
Page 136 of 370 « First < 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 186 236 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
How wonderful to have so much going on there! Meanwhile, a few thousand miles to your west or south, as the case my be, our days in this Land of Oz have been filled with preparing the vegetable and flower gardens, helping with the spring cleaning, and otherwise enjoying the simple pleasures of being with my parents. In other words - I have worn myself out and am basically covered head to toe in mud
The quick report is that it is chilly and rainy, but I decided to make a go of it in the drizzle, craving the feel of my feet on the road. Six miles at a ten minute pace was not particularly good, but how relaxing it was to run past the familiar wheat and the alfalfa fields with their lavender carpets and grassy aromas that remind me that I am once again...home .

Floydy, I too am impressed with all of those heavy weights and the way in which you seem to complete your routine in such a short amount of time. Am I correct that your try to minimize the time between sets and exercise for the most part?
You sound like you're having lots of fun playing around in the mud, Surfermom. I imagine a young lady looking like a swamp monster jogging past those lovely fields. Good you made the effort anyway. Safe journey back next week in the Honda

I've always trained in such a way where I don't spend too long resting between sets and exercises, it keeps the blood flowing with 'cooling down' too much and then you're ready for the next exercise. I see these guys sitting on a bench in front of the mirror basically staring at themselves for ages (though they would say that they're looking at what's going on around them?. The jury's out on that!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Floydy, very informative, I'm sure some of those machines would be just the kind of exercise I need for core strength. When I've got this Piriformis sorted out I might take you up on your offer....Be gentle with me though....

Foxy, mine is quite a bit better than it was, though still not right. It seems to take flippin' ages to get better doesn't it.
I find I can't lay on my side in bed - either side - for very long before it starts off hurting and wakes me up. I am having to sleep on my back.
It also makes my thigh muscle and buttock on that side ache when walking too.

How does yours affect you? Can you lay on your side?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 03:10 PM

Mups - darned quiet in here isn't it? I'm sure Bob will return soon enough to offer his advice. Just wish I could help!

- - - - - - - - -

After a nice afternoon out yesterday with three of my mates and a few jars of ale (or rather glasses), I had no plans to train at all today having completed two pretty intensive sessions this week, but with almost all my work done around the house following a quick measurement of a fence there was a hole in my day, so on with it.

Just a short session from my routine but it was by no means easy, as I now force myself to complete my programme as per my template with the updated reps and weights. All adds up to my required holiday image for June lol!

Thursday, 29 Mar 18: Upper body top-up.

DB press, 22kg:
15+2 / 12+2 / 10+2
*No weight change today as 22kg on each arm is a decent effort but I altered my reps slightly from last week taking into account the pauses I’m now adding following each set. These really do make a difference when I’m suddenly having to hold the dumbbells high while I catch a couple of breaths and continue with the extra reps. The triceps were positively burning after these today.
However, I’m rather sado-masochistic when it comes to pushing myself and next time will see me use 24kg dumbbells, lowering the reps slightly for a couple of sessions until my arms get stronger again. All good fun!

Barbell standing curl, 30kg:
10+2 / 10+2 / 10+2
*30kg is a relatively easy weight for me bicep curling like this, but it’s the reps that test me. Again, those final two after every set really get the muscle pumping. But, again, you know me by now and next week I’ll be using a 35kg bar but lowering the reps to 8+2 instead for a while.

Standing DB curl, across chest, alt., 14kg:
6+1 / 6+1 / 6+1
*New exercise. Dumbbell in each hand, lifting but towards the opposite shoulder rather than straight up. This works the peak of the bicep and causes more definition so as to separate both heads of the muscle. +2 on the pause reps next time.

DB hammer curl, seated, 14kg:
6+2 / 6+2 / 6+2
*These were fine but after the first set where I was having move the weights out slightly to avoid brushing my thighs each time, I did the other two sets standing. You need to keep the weights close to the body as you lift, not splaying out at the sides as that doesn’t isolate the muscles enough.

Machine curls, both arms together, 30kg:
25+2 / 15+2 / 12+2
*These were difficult today as they were probably done too far into my session when my arms were getting tired. I’ll lower set 1 next time to 20 reps.

Chest press, 40kg:
20+3 / 15+2 / 12+2

Triceps extension, 55kg:
20+2 / 15+2 / 12+2
*Took three reps off from the last set. Arms burnt out!

Ab crunch, 40kg:
30 / 30 / 30

40 mins.

Quite a gruelling session to be fair, really went for it with very little rest in between sets. I’m at a concert tonight where I shall enjoy myself, so there will be no training tomorrow but Saturday looks promising.

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Foxy, mine is quite a bit better than it was, though still not right. It seems to take flippin' ages to get better doesn't it.
I find I can't lay on my side in bed - either side - for very long before it starts off hurting and wakes me up. I am having to sleep on my back.
It also makes my thigh muscle and buttock on that side ache when walking too.

How does yours affect you? Can you lay on your side?
Sorry Mups, I got tangled up in the 'Trust' thread and the 'Jesus' one....

It's been six weeks to the day since I pulled my Piriformis Muscle while out running Mups, and then there was the lifting and dismantling of the old furniture about a week or two later. It was after the house clearance that the pain came on with a vengeance. Bending and walking were very painful and decided that rest was the only thing to do. After reading so many articles referring to the Piriformis, they all more or less said the same thing; It will take at least six weeks to heal if you are lucky, but more like four or five months for a bad sprain.

I inquired to the health and fitness bloke on the ship, perhaps a stretching class or massage might help, and his words were; Rest is the only thing you can do for a damaged piriformis muscle.

Walking any distance was impossible in the early days, but I have just completed my twenty third mile since Sunday, a selection of fives and threes. Mainly fives now.
I feel no pain while walking now, and managed a few yards of jogging this morning. I must admit though that once I sit down the stiffness and pain begins when I try to get up or bend. With no painkillers it has subsided on it's own by the mornings and after some early stiffness I'm ready to go for my walk.

No pain while sitting Mups, and I'm quite comfortable in bed whichever side I lay on (only from Mrs Foxes elbow when she says I'm snoring) apparently, the piriformis muscle is responsible for getting you back on your feet while gardening, or kneeling, and that is the pain I'm suffering at the moment after a walk, but it is receding slow but sure. The running bits will get longer, and the recovery will be shorter each time and with some care I could be running again in perhaps a month or two, but it's going to be the long game......Take care Mups, and if it hurts....Don't do it...
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 06:32 PM

Well I have loved catching up with this thread.

OGF this is definitely a case of put off till tomorrow because it cant be done today . I know you will know what to do here.

Don’t be hard on yourself because you are not quite where you want to be at the moment. Listen to your body. I bet its saying, look for the moment this where we are at, it will change though.

I was chatting to my PT the other day and I mentioned your Piniforus as I call it…… She says rest and rest then go see a qualified Osteopath or the like and let them set you some stretching exercises.

I would love to have seen the look on your face SM when they called out your number after the race.
Floydy you wear me out just reading about your training Schedules.

Well I have been doing a 20min jog with a five min walk. Loads of strengthening and toning exercises and of course my usual yoga. I now feel the need to slob out over Easter and stuff my face with chocolate.

My husband and I have been in fits of giggles during the cold weather we have been having. My exercise ball, which I keep in the garage shrinks to half its size, but when we bring it into the house it puffs right back up………yes you know what we mean, don’t you……

Great thread Floydsy
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the update Foxy.

Mine is getting better, I guess I'm just a bit fed up with it now and get impatient to feel well again. I have got an old bulging disc problem at the bottom of my spine playing up at the mo too, so it's a bit frustrating.

Good luck with yours Foxy, hope you soon feel much better. x
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-03-2018, 12:02 AM

Great to see you back Cedronella
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 03:42 AM

Cedronella, you are making some find progress! It seems like just a few weeks ago you were just running five and then walking five. Twenty minutes - wow!

Floydy, it must be nice to work out without the pressures of the clock this week. For all my plans, having had both parent land in the ER and then requiring hospitalization has thrown a wrench into my running. That said, we are all taking it in stride and tonight they are both out and home. Whew!

We are actually laughing quite a bit about my spending my break in the hospital, literally checking my mom out of the hospital just as my dad called that he was driving himself to the emergency room. What followed, with my frantic stay-right-there-mister-I'm-coming-for-you-right -this-second, and managing two doctors’ appointments and orders, was something right out of television comedy.

Anyway, I FINALLY got in a short, swift three miles. While the plains states are primarily grassy and flat as far as the eye can see, a few ridges remain from an ancient sea that once covered this middle part of the country. In fact, about halfway, I looked down to find a large piece of sandstone that held dozens of tiny univalve and bivalve fossils. Amazing considering this place is now a thousand miles from the sea.

An aside, but this leads me to wonder whether or not there are many fossils found in UK rock?

But I digress.

Instead of an east-west run that would afford me a flat and easy trek, I decided a north-south route that would push my otherwise lazy legs after this week of cleaning, chasing dogs, and hospital stays. Taking advantage of the warmth of the midday sun, I ran past a field of alfalfa in purple bloom to a rise that afforded me a view of most of this little farm town of 9,000 souls.

With no time to take in the pretty vista, I plunged back down with my feet almost out of control and my breathing almost more so. Back up I went until I reached ridge where dairy cows bellowed out there displeasure at being herded back to a milking barn, Taking in the storybook scene of their black and white velvet and pink, twitching noses above an emerald field of green winter wheat was as good as it gets in the great outdoors.

Before my feet knew it, I had circled back and thanks to those downhill sprints and the distraction of the trees in bloom, I had managed one of the best times of the year.

What chaos, calamity, and comedy awaits me next is yet to be seen, but at least I am fit enough to outrun it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 06:47 AM

Hi

My exercise routine has gone downhill.

My hospital appointments have been put back, one to the end of April, another to the end of May and the third to an undetermined date.

I am off the Steroids again,so concentrating again on diet and doing as much exercise as I can.

I find I balloon when on steroids and this affects my bad leg, so I am back in my leg brace more often.

My ear infection also affects my balance, which makes things more difficult with the brace on.

I will get there.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 12:27 AM

Well that's no good about the appointments, Swimfeeders. Hopefully being off the steroids will minimize the side effects. You do what you can, one step at a time .

Page 136 of 370 « First < 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 186 236 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top