Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Read an article this week that 7,000 of us Britons are still watching Black and White TV.

Good for them I say and it has to be said there was far better viewing in the old B/W days plus by the time you have flicked through the hundreds of programmes you could watch today it's time to go to bed anyway and I do miss that dot slowly disappearing when you turned of the telly.

Nowadays they waste the first 5 minutes of most programmes, showing clips of what is to be shown later then getting half way through a story and saying we will return later to find out what happened next! What is all that about.

Comedies were funnier, serious stuff had us on the edge of our sofas hiding behind a cushion with gore being left to your imagination and the Beebs Nine news which glued us all to the TV was just that with no renta a gob politician or celebs banging on to spoil the days offerings.

Those were the days when you really had to be quick making that ad break cuppa bacause with todays ad breaks you have time to make the bed, decorate the down stair loo and whip up a laate or two.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Read an article this week that 7,000 of us Britons are still watching Black and White TV.

Good for them I say and it has to be said there was far better viewing in the old B/W days plus by the time you have flicked through the hundreds of programmes you could watch today it's time to go to bed anyway and I do miss that dot slowly disappearing when you turned of the telly.

Nowadays they waste the first 5 minutes of most programmes, showing clips of what is to be shown later then getting half way through a story and saying we will return later to find out what happened next! What is all that about.

Comedies were funnier, serious stuff had us on the edge of our sofas hiding behind a cushion with gore being left to your imagination and the Beebs Nine news which glued us all to the TV was just that with no renta a gob politician or celebs banging on to spoil the days offerings.

Those were the days when you really had to be quick making that ad break cuppa bacause with todays ad breaks you have time to make the bed, decorate the down stair loo and whip up a laate or two.
I think in truth some have colour TV Solo, they don't want to pay out for a colour licence. I record most things, that way I can skip the ads.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Solo dearheart.

I truly thought you were going to bang on about something else.

I refer of course to those precious do-gooders claiming not to have a tv in their house.
I don't believe it,

I love your reminder of the little dot.

I must say, these days it'd be more fun to watch the dots than today's watch the garbage on offer

uh oh!
I feel a word coming on.

The WORD is STACCATO. does that grasp your imaginatio.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 06:01 PM

I better cheer Gummy up.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 08:55 PM

Jealousy is not confined to beauty contests it seems.

"Some of the crowd at Zimbabwe's annual Mr Ugly contest have complained that the winner was not ugly enough. The runner-up and his supporters said Mison Sere's ugliness wasn't natural since it was based on missing teeth. Mr Sere won $500 ($330) and plans to start a TV career. The organiser David Machowa told the BBC's Steve Vickers that models make money from their looks, so ugly people should have the same opportunity. Runner-up William Masvinu has won every previous year of the competition. He took home $100 this year"
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

10-11-2018, 09:00 PM

Blimey, Jem I had no idea about that.
I seem to remember something about Gurning contests.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 09:10 PM

That old woman reminds me of Les Dawson, remember the faces he used to pull.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

10-11-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
.Those packages mostly came gift wrapped and more often than not we got an awful shock on our wedding night when the ribbon and fancy paper was torn off to reveal.....but as you say we were stuck with it so you folded the ribbon and fancy paper, put it away in a memory drawer and made do with the package. As for the box it came in, you kicked that under the bed
To be honest, most of the young men and women of the 60’s never had intercourse before marriage, but it wouldn’t be macho to admit that then, and for those lads who were ‘courting’ it wasn’t for the want of trying, of course you had the spoofers who claimed it was a regular event with them and we all listened in awe to their sexual exploits, chancers as most of them turned out to be.
I do know a few lads who got girls into trouble and got married in a hurry, some strange matches too, some chaps who thought they were the bee’s knees in the looks department ended up with very plain wives and vice versa, although I wouldn’t even consider the thought of a girl using a pregnancy as a weapon to get a man she fancied, would she?
The church still had a very strong grip on the nations morality and the pill wasn’t invented yet, even if it had it would have been banned. ‘Johnnies’ were banned here too and the girls were scared of ending up like “Juicy Lucy’ down the street who had three children by three different fellas, who were never around funny enough.
Yes young and all as they were they knew their onions and held on to their hollyhocks until they had their man well and truly bagged. I’m sure many lads were disappointed and many delighted plus a few who compared it to fella who visited the leaning Tower of Pisa having saved for years to do the trip, stared at it bewildered and said “Is that all it does?”
It takes all sorts of hookery and trickery to keep this old species going strong.

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

10-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
That old woman reminds me of Les Dawson, remember the faces he used to pull.

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
A typical OFF er, trying to purge posting history.

Posted this before.
your a dead ringer for summat??

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top