Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 10:04 AM

Re: Trip to U K

Arrived at Birmingham, then the treck from New st to Moor st station to get yet ANOTHER train to Kidderminster, AND would you believe it another esculator!!!, yes you guessed it I ended up on the floor again, but so impressed both there and at Gatwick Railway station how quickly a member of the rail staff was there to help and also to check that Iwas ok. Off then to kidderminster ,un - eventful jouney.Two flirting 14 year olds opposite, how different to Norway where kids will be in the same class from the age of 7 untill 16, so you dont get the flirting so much. They spend so much time together that they almost become like brothers and sisters, the serious business doesnt start until they get to college !!.
Hire car people at station to meet us, nice touch. Details done and off to our Rental cottage , but first pick up some Fish and chips, something that is not available in Norway, so an opportunity for someone there. OH the traffic,queues at islands , traffic lights, not used to this . Also strange everyone in such a hurry? and seemingly aggressive. Strange thing though, drivers in the U k will give way for someone trying to come out of a side road, doesnt happen in Norway .? Strange driving on the other side of the road at first, and Traffic again.
Cottage perfect, very comfortable and a welcome basket containing , tea coff, bread, butter, juice and a very big chocolate cake , home made .
Unpacked !!! which included 6 jars of homemade jam, some Norwegian type salami for BIL, that weighed 3 kilos !!. settled in with Fish and chips and a glassof wine , well there is no rule that you cant drink wine with Fish and chips is there.
More later.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 11:07 AM

I'm glad you arrived at your destination safe and well. It must have been quite traumatic for you both, after the relative quiet of Norway. I hope you have a great time. Do you plan to explore at all, after you've recovered from the journey? If you do, you should try Wales, particularly Anglesey. Our mountains are not so spectacular as yours but it's quieter here and the people are welcoming.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 11:09 AM

He's a Brit expat.
I'm sure he knows Wales and the UK.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 11:21 AM

Oh sorry Norway, I didn't know you were an ex-pat. Anyway, have a good trip. If you've been away from GB for a few years you may find quite a difference.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
Oh sorry Norway, I didn't know you were an ex-pat. Anyway, have a good trip. If you've been away from GB for a few years you may find quite a difference.
Thankyou for the information, I do lnow some of wales having had Holidays there and through takong kids camping there.very generous farmer alowed us a field for nothing near Llanidloes ??. had agreat time .
Norway
i

07-10-2016, 04:59 PM

First day , Need to buy food as we are self catering, so a trip to , well nearest was Sainsbury, just about 3 times larger then anything that we have, and a car park that would accomodate more cars than we would see in a week. WELL what an enormous selection of products, just Potatoes , ther must have been 6 or seven different ones. We needed Sausages ENGLISH,
hmm shelves of them , not just plain ones, I think thre were ones with anything you could imagine in them, so we decided on normal Cumberland. I hate to say it but im not suprised that there appear to be so many overweight people, not only old or 40s/50s but young people. The selection of food on offer and they way it is displayed just makes you want to buy it. Also buying things to take home BOVRIL , not Marmite I hate that. Those green scouring pads , nothing like it in Norway.
It seems that Weedol has now been banned even in the U K so had to make do with some capsules, which are not as good.
Bought 2 bottles wine WOW,very good ones under £12 pounds which in Norway would have cost at least £20 bottle.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 05:02 PM

late but welcome to the UK

Sounds as if you managed to see some English men and women over here, Not easy to spot nowadays
Someone fom Norway is a rare treat
moreover
North Wales, UK

07-10-2016, 05:27 PM

Maybe you should visit Wales, realspeed. Plenty of English here/
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Nice to hear you are over here for your holiday and to read your comments.

I don't know when you left the UK, but were there no superstores in your day? To us it's just the norm. I love them! But do agree there can be too much choice.

As for your travel woes, believe me I can have problems with escalators...where they exist! Good job you didn't exit at London Victoria tube station as you have to lug your baggage up a big flight of steps. Building work is ongoing, with the promise of a new ticket hall, access to all lines and all new escalators in place, by 2018. I don't think I can wait that long.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 10:41 PM

Also buying things to take home BOVRIL , not Marmite I hate that.
get some vegemite laddie that will put hairs back on ya chest - goes well with shark too!!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top