Join for free
Page 2 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:54 PM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
...except on private property?

Speaking as an ex-smoker I may come across as a bit hypocritical.

But there is a shopping park near me where Sainsbury's is at the far end. To get to it you have to pass a number of shops including a bingo hall. During the bingo hall breaks (and at other times) there are a plethora of people standing still, smoking.

There is no way as a pedestrian to avoid the clouds of smoke as you walk by to get to the supermarket.

The same goes for the outside of pubs where people congregate to have a cigarette.

Or would this be a law too far?
I think it should be banned except in the privacy of one's home, if there are no children there. Parents who smoke when children are present should be prosecuted, imo.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:55 PM

The problem with smoking being allowed in pubs is that the staff have to breathe it in.
Perhaps banning breathing might be easier!

I used to get a nice whiff of cannabis in summer evenings where I lived before, I miss it...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
What banning them or lighting them LD?
Lighting them of course. When everyone's washing is out.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Oh naughty! I posted an on-line petition about it once! I think someone set fire to it!
Problem is what to frolic naked around on Halloween!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
There are areas where bonfires are already banned - 'smokeless zones' - all it lacks are proper enforcement.

Internal combustion vehicles are gradually being banned, either by prohibition and no-go areas in cities and towns, or being replaced by electric vehicles.
Hi

Completely wrong UJ.

A complete fabrication in fact as regards bonfires in smoke less zones.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Completely wrong UJ.

A complete fabrication in fact as regards bonfires in smoke less zones.

Really??? - then I suggest you read the rules (that is if you capable of reading!!!)

Garden bonfires: the rules

There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws for the nuisance they can cause.
Burning domestic waste

You can’t get rid of household waste if it will cause pollution or harm people’s health. This includes burning it.

You can get rid of household or garden waste by composting or recycling it. Contact your local council to find out how to dispose of garden waste and about recycling in your area.
Danger to traffic by smoke

You could be fined if you light a fire and you allow the smoke to drift across the road and become a danger to traffic.

Complain about a neighbour’s bonfire

Your council can issue an ‘abatement notice’ if a neighbour’s bonfire is causing a nuisance. A bonfire must happen frequently to be considered a nuisance.

Your neighbour can be fined up to £5,000 if they don’t stick to the notice.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Shall we ban bonfires & cars as well?
We're probably breathing in far worse from vehicle fumes.
That is a very good point,i never thought of that!.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 04:13 PM

Smoking for some is one of lifes pleasures, if not pleasurable for others so I'm not sure about a complete ban. Choices in life are being taken away slowly but surely, in my mind if someone wants to smoke knowing it causes problems to their health then that is up to them. I'm an ex smoker having quit 10 years ago and while I find cigarette smoke unpleasant now it really doesn't bother me if someone wants to smoke, I choose to avoid areas where people are smoking. Cigarette smoking is just one factor of air pollution pollution is also caused by aeroplanes, cars, buses, trains, power plants, oil refineries etc but, somehow I can't see these being banned too.

Saying all that, parents who smoke in the house around children are irresponsible parents because those children don't have a choice as to whether or not they breathe in second hand smoke. Parents shouldn't be ignorant to the dangers of smoking around children in close proximity.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Really??? - then I suggest you read the rules (that is if you capable of reading!!!)

Garden bonfires: the rules

There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws for the nuisance they can cause.
Burning domestic waste

You can’t get rid of household waste if it will cause pollution or harm people’s health. This includes burning it.

You can get rid of household or garden waste by composting or recycling it. Contact your local council to find out how to dispose of garden waste and about recycling in your area.
Danger to traffic by smoke

You could be fined if you light a fire and you allow the smoke to drift across the road and become a danger to traffic.

Complain about a neighbour’s bonfire

Your council can issue an ‘abatement notice’ if a neighbour’s bonfire is causing a nuisance. A bonfire must happen frequently to be considered a nuisance.

Your neighbour can be fined up to £5,000 if they don’t stick to the notice.

Hi

I am correct, your post clearly stated that bonfires are banned in smoke control ares.

They are not.

You are also wrong in stating that the Maximum Fine is £5000, it is not, that was changed over 3 years ago.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am correct, your post clearly stated that bonfires are banned in smoke control ares.

They are not.

They are, if they cause a nuisance. All that is required are sufficient staff to 'police' it.

Page 2 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top