Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Re: Child Abuse

Originally Posted by Azure ->
That is true, Muddy but celibacy is extremely hard on Priests as they are surrounded by females and nuns too.
Sometimes they have affairs with nuns and children are born too.
Well it may be but they are not always surrounded by females only in the church and then they are rarely alone with people .
Yes i expect they do have affairs they are only human after all .
But I have never heard ever of a priest having affairs with nuns after the Middle Ages .
Vocations are at an all time low most nuns are elderly women barring Mother Teresa lot and they are out looking after the poor and needy !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Paedophilia appears to be more predominant in the Catholic Church, although I agree no denomination is immune.
Appears is the operative word .
It's is just given more air time .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Twink I am a lapsed Catholic and i can tell you that this is not usual behaviour .
Priests don't usually prey on young children any more than any other group of people .

Many are good men who do good in this world .
In the third world countries I have lived in I have known priests of extraordinary courage and humanity .

It's a shame to tar all as pedophiles .
There are wicked men in every profession .

Your friends mother was completely out of order allowing her son to go out alone with the priest .
I have never heard anything like it !

As for Ampleforth it doesn't have children aged 6-8 as it is a senor school .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Twink I am a lapsed Catholic and i can tell you that this is not usual behaviour .
Priests don't usually prey on young children any more than any other group of people .

Many are good men who do good in this world .
In the third world countries I have lived in I have known priests of extraordinary courage and humanity .

It's a shame to tar all as pedophiles .
There are wicked men in every profession .

Your friends mother was completely out of order allowing her son to go out alone with the priest .
I have never heard anything like it !

As for Ampleforth it doesn't have children aged 6-8 as it is a senor school .
Muddy I think you have misunderstood me. I never suggested that all priests were pedophiles & I know some are wonderful people, but I was saying there were more who did this than you think. The catholic church is no longer as strong as it used to be, but back on the 20th century priests had a lot of power over their congregation and that is why parents trusted them ( hence my friends mum being proud that the priest took her son to the cinema...the newspapers weren't full of stories of pedophilia in then!). Back in those days people didn't realize that children were being sexually abused by family, friends and even priests & the children were afraid to report it for fear of getting into trouble for telling lies.
On the rare occasions that the children did get people to listen to them & parents reported it, the church would move the priest to somewhere else ( probably somewhere they could get forgiveness from God) and the church would make sure that it was never known to the general public

I often ask myself "Is the catholic church any better than Islam when they covered this up." after all, the catholic church hid the fact that some of it's preachers were pedophiles, while some Imams feel it is ok to allow a man to marry & have children with very young girls,who could die in childbirth.
Whichever way you look at it, they are both respected people that are allowing children to be put at risk so the men can get sexual satisfaction. I wonder how many Muslims believe that their Imam would prevent a marriage between an older man and a young girl in Britain ( where the age of consent is 16) ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Twink children are more at risk from family members rather than Catholic priests .
Especially now I think the safeguards against paedophilia in the priesthood are now among the tightest in the world. Things did happened in the past especially in countries like Ireland Portugal and Australia to name but three where people were only too happy to hand over unwanted or vulnerable children to the church .
Really it's terrible what happened to defenceless children in orphanages and not just catholic orphanages .
It is however the Catholic ones that have been most documented .
Children have always been abused in these situations Charles Dickens wrote Oliver Twist from experience .
Thankfully today a child is less likely to be abused by a Catholic or Anglican priest in the west than by the members of just about any other profession.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Well it may be but they are not always surrounded by females only in the church and then they are rarely alone with people .
Yes i expect they do have affairs they are only human after all .
But I have never heard ever of a priest having affairs with nuns after the Middle Ages .
Vocations are at an all time low most nuns are elderly women barring Mother Teresa lot and they are out looking after the poor and needy !
Yes Muudy

The Poor and Needy Priests!!

I was brought up in a Convent School with Nuns and it was common knowledge that a young Priest had an affair with a Young Irish Nun, this caused a scandal, and the Bishop paid a visit, after which we never saw the Priest or the Nun again,

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 02:27 PM

When my daughters were younger and all wore mini skirts A Priest use to call for donations.
he always used to flirt with the girls and tell them they had nice legs.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top