Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:21 AM

TP-Link powerline adaptor

Hi. I recently bought a TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT powerline extender, comprising two AV600 units: one connecting by ethernet cable to the router and the other positioned anywhere else plugged into a mains socket.

These work perfectly and provide an internet signal where no effective signal was previously received.

So pleased am I with the result that I'd like to include a second 'receiver/transmitter' in another room of the house. Unfortunately, I cannot find a separate unit available for purchase anywhere, yet I have read instructions about how to connect an additional unit to an existing setup.

Has anyone, by any chance, seen such a thing advertised for sale, please?

The only other option I can see would be to buy another 'kit' including both component parts, but this seems rather wasteful as one of them would not be needed.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Re: TP-Link powerline adaptor

JBR,

I think this is the one - at Amazon:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220-...483271&sr=1-15
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:21 PM

How much?!!!

That's what I paid for the set of two units:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220K...erline+adapter

Thanks anyway, Ted.

Seriously, though, I suppose I could just get another pair of units for a similar price and keep a spare in case mine goes wrong.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 03:35 PM

How come your router doesn't provide a signal to the rest of the house?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just get a better router?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-09-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
How come your router doesn't provide a signal to the rest of the house?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just get a better router?
It is the one supplied by Virgin Media and I pay them enough without being obliged to buy another router!

Actually, I believe the router is as good as I can get; it is the most advanced of those provided by Virgin.

It is my opinion that, whilst the router provides a good signal in the room of the router and also that next door - our living room where I usually use my laptop whilst connected to the router, the signal becomes much weaker beyond those confines. This is no doubt because it is obliged to pass through at least two or three thick walls and a chimney breast in order to arrive where needed: two security cameras mounted on exterior walls.

Making use of a powerline adaptor, the more remote of the two cameras receives a much more powerful signal from the adaptor placed in direct line of sight in the conservatory. The other camera actually receives a moderate signal from the router, but my experiments using the adaptor in an adjacent room provides a much superior signal.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:00 AM

I wouldn't ever be worried about the router that yoru broadband provider gives you. They're invariably very poor, cheap, and don't last long. I learned that years ago.

I just walked into Maplins and bought an off the shelf router, plugged it in, put in the right settings and off I went. The ISP's router didn't even have the power to broadcast into my garden which wasn't far from where it was sited. The Maplins router gave me instant coverage. It also had far better options in its menu settings.

Might also be worth thinking about siting the router upstairs for better coverage.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Hi JB, I recently bought one of these from Argos. It works great and I can now log on even when sitting 50 yards down the garden should I wish. Like you I bought the TP link because our tv wasn't wifi enabled and we wanted to use Netflix and iplayer, but anywhere else in the jouse or garden is now covered by wifi using the booster so we are well satisfied, and for not a lot of money..

Wifi booster
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-09-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I wouldn't ever be worried about the router that yoru broadband provider gives you. They're invariably very poor, cheap, and don't last long. I learned that years ago.

I just walked into Maplins and bought an off the shelf router, plugged it in, put in the right settings and off I went. The ISP's router didn't even have the power to broadcast into my garden which wasn't far from where it was sited. The Maplins router gave me instant coverage. It also had far better options in its menu settings.

Might also be worth thinking about siting the router upstairs for better coverage.
Hahaha! No upstairs; we live in a bungalow.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. One problem - I think - is that Virgin Media have their own specific cable connection. I may be wrong, but I suspect that it will not fit third party routers.

Just as a matter of interest, do you remember the cost of the Maplin router?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-09-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Hi JB, I recently bought one of these from Argos. It works great and I can now log on even when sitting 50 yards down the garden should I wish. Like you I bought the TP link because our tv wasn't wifi enabled and we wanted to use Netflix and iplayer, but anywhere else in the jouse or garden is now covered by wifi using the booster so we are well satisfied, and for not a lot of money..

Wifi booster
I tried your link and got:
"This site can’t be reached"
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I tried your link and got:
"This site can’t be reached"
Sorry about that, but I got the TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300MBPS Wall Plug Range Extender at Argos for £17.99.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top