Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 03:05 AM

Otak Otak and other delicacies

I thought that over many years I had sampled most of the foods SE Asia has to offer but yesterday I had Otak Otak (so good they had to name it twice). I think it is now close to the top of my favourite foods - I cannot believe I have never eaten it before.

As far as I can make out it is fish and spices with seafood (in this case calamari and prawns) and eggs. The dish can either be steamed or baked.

Mee Goreng you are probably all familiar with but this was a Mee Goreng Mamak, (Indian Muslim Mee Goreng) - no chicken but bean curd and slightly different spices. If it were not for the Otak Otak this would be top of my list of current favourites.

Then there is Durian - I love Durian but it is not to everyone's taste. First there is the strong pervading smell which is why most hotels ban it.

Personally I rarely buy the fruit (RM10 per kilo) but prefer to pay extra for a selection. The problem with buying the fruit is that it is very variable.

Once you overcome the smell of rotting alien fetus the fruit itself is absolutely delicious and creamy.

When we were driving back from the Cameron Highlands the car filled with the strong smell of Durian. It took a moment but we realised that immediately in front of us was a small van full of the fruit. I risked life and limb to overtake.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	180921 010 Jitra Restaurant.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	7320   Click image for larger version

Name:	180919 101 Cameron Highlands Dinner.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	7321   Click image for larger version

Name:	180920 025 Cameron Highlands Durian.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	7322   Click image for larger version

Name:	180920 035 Cameron Highlands.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	7323  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 07:07 AM

Re: Otak Otak and other delicacies

Yummy!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Looks tasty Bruce, well apart from the Durian. Am I right in thinking it is banned almost everywhere in public? I wonder who first decided to eat one?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Looks tasty Bruce, well apart from the Durian. Am I right in thinking it is banned almost everywhere in public? I wonder who first decided to eat one?
I don't think it is banned in public because every market and road side stall sells it but Hotels have signs everywhere banning it. It certainly has a strong smell.

To be fair the smell is no worse than some cheeses I have sampled in Europe, I remember as a child my Aunt's cheese platter one Christmas included a cheese that smelled literally like shit.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

22-09-2018, 05:09 PM

I am in trouble...

This afternoon I mentioned to my friend that I had not tried Otak Otak before. She was quite taken aback and produced several photos of me taken years apart both in Malaysia and Thailand which clearly show me tucking into Otak Otak.

I can only blame old timer's disease. I was forced to take her out to a local Thai Restaurant as penance. We had Snakehead fish, prawns and calamari.

Probably my last night out in Malaysia for a while, I fly out of Alor Setar to KL tomorrow arvo then back to god's own country tomorrow night, land in Sydney about 10am on Monday. Four weeks has just flown past.

https://www.bcl.id.au/

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	180922 006 Jitra Rung Reang Restaurant.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7327   Click image for larger version

Name:	180922 012 Jitra Rung Reang Restaurant.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	7328   Click image for larger version

Name:	180922 003 Rung Reang Restaurant Jitra.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	7329  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't think it is banned in public because every market and road side stall sells it but Hotels have signs everywhere banning it. It certainly has a strong smell.

To be fair the smell is no worse than some cheeses I have sampled in Europe, I remember as a child my Aunt's cheese platter one Christmas included a cheese that smelled literally like shit.
That made me laugh.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:38 PM

Should this not come under food and drink heading instead?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

24-09-2018, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Should this not come under food and drink heading instead?
Why? It comes under the heading, "What I did on my Hols".

One of the joys of holidays is eating interesting and exotic meals.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-09-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why? It comes under the heading, "What I did on my Hols".

One of the joys of holidays is eating interesting and exotic meals.

Normally I would agree but I'm not so sure now of the above.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top