Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 10:18 PM

The Bear in My Yard

I've started carrying an axe handle when I go for my walk. The driveway is teardrop shaped, about an eighth of a mile long. I do the loop six times.

Trouble is, I live in a mountainous area. It's a rural setting. If it weren't for the clear-cutting of the forests and the other human incursions, the wild predators would normally stay away. There are bear, cougar and bobcats in the area. Normally we would not see them very often. This area was settled by pioneers in the 1800s and displaced the Native Americans. Pioneers planted orchards. Other people moved in in the meantime and also planted orchards and started raising chickens. The chickens attract the bobcats. The orchards attract the bear, when the apples are ripe. They start ripening at the end of September and falling to the ground. This attracts bear.

My husband is doing a wild turkey study. He has a trail camera. We saw one bear in the neighbor's orchard a month ago. A week ago the camera caught one in the middle of the night about 75 feet from our house. On November 14th and again on the 15th the camera caught the bear. This morning I noticed that all the apples that had been on the ground in the orchard for month or more were suddenly all gone. There are still some on the trees. Today I will shake the rest off of the trees, so the bear can eat them entirely and hopefully stop coming around. I already picked all I need.

As I result now when I take my walk, I carry an axe handle just in case a bear attacks me. Normally black bears don't bother people, but you can never trust wild predators. The turkeys gang up on the bobcat and chase them away...at least some of the time. It's usually the hen turkeys who do this.

See the picture below in another reply.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 10:20 PM

Re: The Bear in My Yard

Got pics?
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 10:23 PM

Yes, I do, but I have to figure out how to put one in this thread. I can easily but them in my album, but I'm not sure how to put one in here, since it doesn't work the same. Off to have lunch now. Hopefully I can figure it out after lunch.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 10:46 PM

I doubt you would be able to fight a Bear off with Axe handle or any other wild animal of a size .
A Gun would be better protection ,dont you think .?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 10:51 PM

Sage, the axe handle is not going to do you any good against a bear.

If it is a black bear, you don't have a lot to worry about as they are not meat eaters, so a loud whistle will scare him and he will run away. You did a good thing Knocking all the apples off the tree. He is probably trying to fatten himself up for hybernating during the winter months...

I know nothing about cougars and bobcats......you may have to do a bit of research......

Wouldn't it be "safer" if you were to buy a treadmill so you don't have to exercise outside? I would be doing any walking where I knew cougars and bobcats were sniffing around.

Don't wait until it is too late Sage....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
Yes, I do, but I have to figure out how to put one in this thread. I can easily but them in my album, but I'm not sure how to put one in here, since it doesn't work the same. Off to have lunch now. Hopefully I can figure it out after lunch.
Hi Sage

Hoping this will help you to post any photos from your album in your Profile into a thread:

Right click on your chosen photo in your album to enlarge it...

>>>

A drop down box will appear, click on "Copy Image Location"

>>>

Return to your reply box and click on this symbol at the top of the box:

A box will open, click in the box then copy and paste your photo URL (which was saved when you copied the image location ..... then click ok.
Sage
U. S.

16-11-2018, 11:16 PM

Here he/she is in all her glory. It was taken at about 8 pm so it's dark and grainy.
Thank you Mags.
Sage
U. S.

16-11-2018, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I doubt you would be able to fight a Bear off with Axe handle or any other wild animal of a size .
A Gun would be better protection ,dont you think .?
No. I hate guns. I won't even touch one. My brother killed his neighbors with one.
Sage
U. S.

16-11-2018, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Sage, the axe handle is not going to do you any good against a bear.

If it is a black bear, you don't have a lot to worry about as they are not meat eaters, so a loud whistle will scare him and he will run away. You did a good thing Knocking all the apples off the tree. He is probably trying to fatten himself up for hybernating during the winter months...

I know nothing about cougars and bobcats......you may have to do a bit of research......

Wouldn't it be "safer" if you were to buy a treadmill so you don't have to exercise outside? I would be doing any walking where I knew cougars and bobcats were sniffing around.

Don't wait until it is too late Sage....
Black bears are omnivores. I will not live in fear. I over came the fear when my brother murdered his neighbors. I was terrified for a long time after that. It's safer here than it is in the city where people attack people regularly. I learned what to do if a bear or a cougar comes close. They talk about it on the news here.

The bear is very unlikely to attack. If he comes close, I can use the axe handle to keep him from mauling me - to hold him away from my face and throat and give me a chance to escape. It's better than nothing - contrary to what people here may think.

I assume none of you stay in your homes, because of the violence that can occur outside your door. This is the same.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sage ->

Here he/she is in all her glory. It was taken at about 8 pm so it's dark and grainy.
Thank you Mags.
Thank you Sage!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top