Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 11:40 PM

Do you think about Old Age?

When I was 50, I never thought even once about what it might be like when I turned 75. Even up to 60 years old, I never once considered how I would feel in my 70.s and 80.s....

What a blow when I finally realized my age. You think you are never going to get there, then all of a sudden, you say to yourself, H***, I may only live another 5 years or so.

It is a little disturbing to say the least. We never know what hardships, what diseases, or problems and challenges we are going to have when we get in our 70s and 80s....

I can't do my own housework now, and haven't been able to since I became 70. I have to hire a housekeeper to come in every two weeks and give it a good clean.

Sometimes I am so tired, I can hardly drag my bones into the shower. I have heard that old people don't want to take a bath or shower. I hope to God, I can keep myself showering and never let it get the best of me, but you see old ladies and men in nursing homes all the time, and they have to have someone help them bath...

I had to have help with bathing for a couple weeks each time I had my cancer operations as I was so sick and so weak, I couldn't do it without help. I am ok now, but I know what it is like to not be able to do it.....

In another 4 years I am going to be 80, can you imagine !!!
I have no idea what that is going to be like. It is just too much for my little brain to comprehend.......I bet it is going to be hard and I bet I get very confused.....
Even now, I have forgotten to do things that I knew how to do for years, I look at something and have no idea how to do it.....I have to sit down and reallty concentrate.....

I never let myself get too fat, I walk a lot, every day......I don't want to be too far over weight, but I seem to have about 15 lbs now, that I shouldn't have......

I don't want to eat meat anymore. Never thought that would ever happen to me, I loved my steak and roast beef.

Do you ever look ahead and wonder what you will be like. Do you ever get scared or worry that you might end up in a nursing home, and maybe abused or something?

I really, deep down, have not yet learned to cope with old age. I just don't seem to accept it. I flirt with younger man, I go out with a few men, that would love it if I would marry them, but I just want to date and have fun. I do everything I did when I was 65, yet I am 11 years older now.....and I don't feel I look that old, but maybe I am blind.

Rant over.......care to share???
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 12:34 AM

Re: Do you think about Old Age?

Your experiences in Canada may be different to those in the UK as much depends on how the country views their older residents - as valued members of the community to be looked after as they age - or as a nuisance and a drain on society. I suspect in the UK it is becoming the latter...........helped no doubt by the precept that Brexit is only happening because of the older generation.

If someone in the UK is unable to look after themselves and has to go into a home - their property can be sold to pay for their care (costs are huge!) but they're allowed to keep £16,000. Strangely in Wales - they can keep £40,000, and I believe in Scotland it's even higher!

Whatever the case, I think that if you have family members around to help, that's a great reassurance.

The expats in Cyprus manage to recruit east europeans as care workers...........obviously not a cheap option but I would certainly see that as preferable to a care home in the UK.

My mother emigrated to Canada to be close to other family members and after a while chose to live in 60+ flats and she really loved it. They went twice a year to Las Vegas and she had a great time. Sadly the step after that didn't appeal.........
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Your experiences in Canada may be different to those in the UK as much depends on how the country views their older residents - as valued members of the community to be looked after as they age - or as a nuisance and a drain on society. I suspect in the UK it is becoming the latter...........helped no doubt by the precept that Brexit is only happening because of the older generation.

If someone in the UK is unable to look after themselves and has to go into a home - their property can be sold to pay for their care (costs are huge!) but they're allowed to keep £16,000. Strangely in Wales - they can keep £40,000, and I believe in Scotland it's even higher!

Whatever the case, I think that if you have family members around to help, that's a great reassurance.

The expats in Cyprus manage to recruit east europeans as care workers...........obviously not a cheap option but I would certainly see that as preferable to a care home in the UK.

My mother emigrated to Canada to be close to other family members and after a while chose to live in 60+ flats and she really loved it. They went twice a year to Las Vegas and she had a great time. Sadly the step after that didn't appeal.........
This is a very informative and interesting post Lindyloo, thanks for that.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 01:05 AM

I think about old age & feel dread. Mostly it's the thought of not being able to look after myself - relying on other people for personal care.

My kids will take over my affairs. I don't want it to happen but it will.

Already they annoy me. Recently I paid £400 to have a short fence erected. Their attitude was 'save your £400 you don't need a fence' Do I need them to tell me what to do with my money? Do they think I'm docile already?

Most annoying coming from one who thinks nothing of spending £15,000 on a new kitchen and God knows how much on a brand new range rover!!

Old age -It's not much to look forward to. I don't want to be a burden on anybody or treated like a child.

To be honest - I try not to think about it!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 01:13 AM

What do I think not much I'm afraid .
I can still ride a spirited horse .
But soon I won't be able to hire a car .
My eyes aren't what they used to be.
I will never paint a masterpiece or play the guitar .
The other day I went on some horrible site on FB called fateday and it said I have 1year 5 months two week and five hours left to live .
It gave me a bit of a jolt but then I put in Mr Ms details and found he's already been dead two years -so that's why he's so grumpy !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 03:36 AM

Old age? when does that happen?
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 06:58 AM

On reflection I was fine up until I was 55 when I was diagnosed with throat cancer, up till then I had not had a days sick leave in over ten years unlike the younger members who needed a week with a paper cut.
I had a really hard time with the cancer treatment with horrendous side effects which I never recovered from. But most of my working life had been spent on building sites which takes it's toll on your body and now I have the expected arthritis in various places and other issues which really make me feel ancient. Losing your long term partner also really kicks the **** out of you and is physically as well as mentally debilitating.

I am 65 in 3 weeks and gave realised that I am now in the generation that gets blamed for all societies ills, the state of the NHS, Brexit and pretty much anything else.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->

I am 65 in 3 weeks and gave realised that I am now in the generation that gets blamed for all societies ills, the state of the NHS, Brexit and pretty much anything else.
Just a young puppy then?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 07:19 AM

I am fortunate enough to still be very healthy - mentally and physically.

As for 'old age' - it is better than the alternative!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Yes I think about old age Blue,its a far away place I dont imagine for one second I shall get to see.
Im only 54 but with previous cancer and other health problems Im on a slippery slope downwards im afraid.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top