Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Dog enters negotiations to give stick back.

A DOG has confirmed he is ready to begin negotiations for letting go of a stick.

Larry, a four year-old Labrador said he was happy to begin talks but stressed there was no guarantee the stick would be given back straight away.

He added: “Initially, I would be willing to let the stick go a little loose whilst still keeping it clenched in my teeth. I will also no longer be growling at the prospect at giving the stick up.

“In the long run, I’ll obviously be looking for the stick to be thrown again so I can catch it, bring it back to you and let you look at me with it in my mouth.

“I think this is a step in the right direction.”

Larry’s owner Emma Bradford said, “I’m happy to claim he’s a good boy six or seven times if it’ll move things along.

“My only fear is that he’ll give me the stick just so I can throw it again and then we’ll be right back at square one.”
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 03:02 PM

Re: Dog enters negotiations to give stick back.

I can't think why, but that story instantly brought to mind something I have been hearing a lot of in the news lately!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Not good to throw a stick for a dog, it can get wedged in his teeth, across his throat, get stuck in his throat & choke him, the dog would not know this. His owner should buy him a tennis ball or a ball launcher, much safer.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Not good to throw a stick for a dog, it can get wedged in his teeth, across his throat, get stuck in his throat & choke him, the dog would not know this. His owner should buy him a tennis ball or a ball launcher, much safer.
What?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 06:58 AM

That happened to one of my dogs. It wasn't a stick thrown by me. He chewed it out of a bush by himself, the silly bugger.
It got wedged between his teeth and luckily I could get my hand in his mouth and remove the stick. He was fine after that.
Frieda
Southeast USA
Frieda is female 

28-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Getting back to the original intent of the OP

Dogs are great negotiators - especially if we humans make the mistake of making eye contact with them.

My Rottweiler loves to play fetch -- thankfully she has the decency to bring her Kong ball (it's bigger than her mouth so she can't swallow it like she might swallow a tennis ball. Drop it at my feet, then look up at me and say "ok you may throw it for me again."

After about six times of that, she decides to keep the Kong ball to herself and my arthritic shoulder is grateful. I have thought about buying a chuckker but these Kong balls aren't balls in the real sense --- they are odd shaped with a hole thru them so we humans can put food in them to keep the dog occupied --- which I won't do because I think it's too frustrating for the dog

FWIW, I am a lot happier getting on the 4-wheeler to take her and my other two dogs for a run on our farm. Half to three fourths of an hour of that and they all sleep for the rest of the day
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Actually cats are good negotiators too as long as you are prepared to do it their way....no problem
Frieda
Southeast USA
Frieda is female 

28-12-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
actually cats are good negotiators too as long as you are prepared to do it their way....no problem
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:24 PM

But couldn't a tennis ball get stuck in its throat?

Not a little yappy lap dog, of course; a proper dog.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But couldn't a tennis ball get stuck in its throat?

Not a little yappy lap dog, of course; a proper dog.
I don't think so, if supervised while playing with them. I've seen all sizes of dogs playing with tennis balls. There is a risk with any toy that a dog could choke on it, even proper dog balls which is why all dogs should be supervised with any toy. If a dog is a chewer when playing with tennis balls, use a proper dog ball like with the launchers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top