Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:20 AM

Re: Plastics into bricks

I apologise if this has already been mentioned here, as I have not had time to read every post, but I have doubts!

Whilst I am sure this idea is an excellent one and could be a partial solution to constructive use of plastics, one thing I'd like to know more information about is the load bearing qualities of these plastic bricks.

I know that there is a wide variety of plastics, some very flexible and others very firm, but is there a type that will be strong enough to support, say, three or four storeys (and their contents) without bending and losing stability?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 07:17 AM

I often wonder why planners don't insist new buildings in general have to include innovation... that could include plastic bricks and things like solar roof tiles...in fact solar roof tiles should be standard....they are expensive but the more they are used the price will come down...

Every new building should incorporate at least some form of renewable energy....they could impose that rule right now.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 08:36 AM

There are lots of people who don't care for climate change and are opposed to that kind of diktat.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I
Whilst I am sure this idea is an excellent one and could be a partial solution to constructive use of plastics, one thing I'd like to know more information about is the load bearing qualities of these plastic bricks.
They can't be used for load bearing walls because they compress. It's in the link a few posts back.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Certainly a good idea. Unfortunately, they can't be used for load bearing walls so that would limit their potential use.
I am no expert on it but I also wonder if they can 'breath' like normal bricks. Condensation could be a problem.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I often wonder why planners don't insist new buildings in general have to include innovation... that could include plastic bricks and things like solar roof tiles...in fact solar roof tiles should be standard....they are expensive but the more they are used the price will come down...

Every new building should incorporate at least some form of renewable energy....they could impose that rule right now.
I do like the idea of incorporating new innovations, I really do but what worries me is that they sometimes end up looking like a carbuncle. Some of the 'eco' houses I see on Tv, I wonder how they ever got planning permission to build something so ugly.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am no expert on it but I also wonder if they can 'breath' like normal bricks. Condensation could be a problem.
I wouldn't have thought so, as most plastic applications are designed to contain water.

On the other hand, I have just bought a thin rainproof coat that, it is claimed, can breathe. I don't know whether this sort of technology can be applied to bricks or other constructional materials though.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 06:21 PM

Mortgage lenders are generally not keen on what they consider non standard construction.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 07:58 PM

Thanks everyone for contributing im enjoying the chat.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I do like the idea of incorporating new innovations, I really do but what worries me is that they sometimes end up looking like a carbuncle. Some of the 'eco' houses I see on Tv, I wonder how they ever got planning permission to build something so ugly.
They don't have to look any different from traditional builds... the problem is that innovation often goes hand in hand with innovative design and architects have a field day proving this is different.... its doesn't have to be like that though. Solar roof tiles look much the same as regular ones.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top