Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Monster fatberg found blocking Sidmouth sewer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-46787461

A giant fatberg which is 210ft (64m) long has been found blocking a sewer in a seaside town.

The solid "monster", which is made up of fat, wet wipes and grease, was found near the sea in Sidmouth, Devon.

South West Water said the fatberg was the biggest it had ever found and it would take about eight weeks to remove it.

At 210ft, the fatberg in Sidmouth is longer than the height of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Media captionWhat causes fatbergs?

Fatbergs form when people put things such as fat, wet wipes, sanitary towels, nappies and condoms, down sinks and toilets.
Are those people ignorant, careless or just stupid .....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Re: Monster fatberg found blocking Sidmouth sewer

Stupid I think

We have a septic tank, and nothing goes down that that shouldn't. I have little strainer things on all my plug holes so not even hair goes down. All cooking fats and oils get poured into a glass jar and thrown away, and any guests staying who use feminine products are shown where the doggy bags and bin are

When its yourself having to pay for a soakaway to be cleaned out, you soon wise up
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 04:14 PM

Not far from me I am unhappy to say and no, I don't throw nappies down the toilet. Obviously people should not block the sewers with this stuff but seeing as it is so large, I wonder why it has not been noticed before. I can only imagine that it has been ignored along with so many other things in Devon. The authorities in Devon are not exactly on the ball.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Saw this on our local news. Feel for the people who have to unblock it, it must smell very bad.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not far from me I am unhappy to say and no, I don't throw nappies down the toilet. Obviously people should not block the sewers with this stuff but seeing as it is so large, I wonder why it has not been noticed before. I can only imagine that it has been ignored along with so many other things in Devon. The authorities in Devon are not exactly on the ball.
Probably a product of Take aways as this has been found to be an increasing problem relating to old cooking oil and fat from burgers and fatty food dumped in the drains from as mentioned before Take aways
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:33 PM

OMG!!!!!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 06:29 PM

I never put wet wipes or even those toilet wipes down the loo , they are wrapped in tissue and popped in the bin . My sister came to stay and put toilet wipes down the loo and guess what , it blocked up , she kept saying the wipes disintrigate but im told they take days and weeks .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top