Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Re: The twin Towers

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
30 years since Lockerbie surely. I drove past on the M74 the next day, the smell of jet fuel was horrific.
I was driving to Glasgow from Folkestone that night. Fortunately my brother had lent me a brick of a mobile phone (he worked for Cellnet) and when we heard the news of the Lockerbie crash on the car radio were able to ring him to find out how it would affect our trip. We had to plan a detour.

First time I used a mobile phone, lucky the crash happened when it did because we would have been on that road a couple of hours later. In the event we arrived in Glasgow at 4am the next morning because I had to stop for a sleep with only about 30 miles to go.

That was quite an eventful trip, there was Lockerbie, a train crash in London and my old man's funeral. It was winter, Thatcher was in charge, everywhere was disgustingly filthy and I thought the UK was the most miserable place on the planet, so much so I didn't visit again until 4 years ago when I found it had cheered up considerably.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top