Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 11:33 PM

Re: Lucky in life

Never tempt fate, but off the record...…….
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
LQ, I am a great believer in, if it’s meant, it will be.
I am also a believer in, it’s better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.

Today, ln M&S, l passed a youngish girl being pushed in a wheelchair by a carer. The girl just grinned and l think that was all she would ever be able to do in her life.
At that moment, it put my selfish life into perspective and l realised, my life wasn’t so bad at all....
I'd go along with that too Art.

I was always told I was lucky by my 2nd husband. As soon as he said that, it changed

I'm not unlucky or lucky now. Life just throws us stuff and we have to deal with it however we can. It's not all plain sailing. Life is testing, it's how we deal with it.

As long as I am comfortable, relatively healthy, can find peace in something to take my mind off what's bad, then I think I'm on a bit of a winner.

I appreciate what I have considering what others go through in life.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Yes ive wondered about some who appear to be lucky in life . I look at some who live in exotic places in the world , beautiful homes and appear to have endless money and life is the best and wonder how it happened , usually with help from wealthy family , yet they must suffer sometimes in life . They have more choices than ordinary folk in other ways perhaps the best health care to ease their suffering or help with chores and children in the way of live in servants and child care . Maybe their lifes are more adventurous as able to do what they please as and when . A quality of life not available to us

I guess they still have life problems they still experience loss and grief .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 10:38 AM

I think in many ways luck is something you can feel even if to others you don't look very lucky. I have always considered myself lucky because despite the hardships I've had a lovely husband and family. Many faced with some of the things we've gone through would feel very unlucky I believe.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Obviously, many people make a "success" of their lives in many ways but, conversely, many people end up a "failure", despite their efforts.

In some cases, luck (or serendipity) plays a massive part of "success":

http://www.2oceansvibe.com/2017/09/2...-end-of-story/

Even if you could imitate everything Gates did, you would not be able to replicate his initial good fortune.

For example, Gates’s upper-class background and private education enabled him to gain extra programming experience when less than 0.01% of his generation then had access to computers. His mother’s social connection with IBM’s chairman enabled him to gain a contract from the then-leading PC company that was crucial for establishing his software empire.
This is important because most customers who used IBM computers were forced to learn how to use Microsoft’s software that came along with it. This created an inertia in Microsoft’s favour when IBM dominated the computer industry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft

DOS (Disk Operating System) was the operating system that brought the company its real success. IBM first approached Microsoft about its upcoming IBM Personal Computer (IBM PC) in July 1980. On August 12, 1981, after negotiations with Digital Research failed, IBM awarded a contract to Microsoft to provide a version of the CP/M operating system, which was set to be used in the IBM PC. For this deal, Microsoft purchased a CP/M clone called 86-DOS from Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products for less than US$100,000, which IBM renamed to IBM PC DOS. The original CP/M was made by Gary Kildall of Digital Research, Inc. Microsoft did not have an operating system when they closed the deal with IBM and IBM had not done their homework. Due to potential copyright infringement problems with CP/M, IBM marketed both CP/M and PC DOS for US$240 and US$40, respectively, with PC DOS eventually becoming the standard because of its lower price. When the IBM PC debuted, Microsoft was the only company that offered operating system, programming language, and application software for the new computer. The IBM PC DOS is also known as MS-DOS.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 11:24 AM

I always think that, if I hadn't worked hard and made some good decisions on serious matters, life could have been much harder.
I am quite positive about things, and that helps me, but we all have to accept that life is never easy...even when you have money!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Some years ago, an elderly lady was telling me about her life and l remarked how lucky she was.
At that moment, she pulled me up and said, ‘l wasn’t lucky, l was fortunate’. Now, when l hear or read about people saying they are lucky, l remember her words.

l have just googled the difference between the two words......

Luck is something that happens by chance. Fortune is something that happens by choice. Being Lucky means chance favoured you accidently. ... Being Lucky is when good things happen that are out of your hands because of chance, being fortunate is when good things happen because you made the right choices in life.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Confidence and self belief plays some part in luck, as does circumstance..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I'd go along with that too Art.

I was always told I was lucky by my 2nd husband. As soon as he said that, it changed

I'm not unlucky or lucky now. Life just throws us stuff and we have to deal with it however we can. It's not all plain sailing. Life is testing, it's how we deal with it.

As long as I am comfortable, relatively healthy, can find peace in something to take my mind off what's bad, then I think I'm on a bit of a winner.

I appreciate what I have considering what others go through in life.
Pesta, Trying not to sound sycophantish!
I totally agree with your post and that is my outlook on life too!
For me, just waking up in the morning is lucky!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:50 PM

Fortunate is when good things happen because you made the right choices in life.
Sorry, but I don't agree with that and nor does my dictionary:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/good%20fortune

good fortune

n an auspicious state resulting from favorable outcomes

Synonyms:
good luck, luckiness

n a stroke of luck

an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome

Synonyms:
fluke, good luck

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top