Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:57 PM

Re: Lucky in life

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Sorry, but I don't agree with that and nor does my dictionary:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/good%20fortune

Omah, If you say so!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Some people appear to be lucky in life as in successful and never seem to struggle, sailing through life with not much to worry about and some quite the opposite where bad luck seems to follow them around.

My husband and I have worked hard all our lives and still have some years left before we retire but life has always seemed hard and we've had to struggle just to make ends meet as there never seems to be much left at the end of the month after paying the bills. Obviously I know many, many people are just like us.

I have tried starting my own business a number of times and none of them were ever successful, I worked hard at making them work but they never took off

I heard someone once say that "we make our own luck in life"
Do you think that is true or do you think some people are just lucky or unlucky.

Look forward to responses x
You make your own luck

We aren't rich, we both work hard, we own what we have and owe no one. We could have been richer and retired by now if we had made different choices back in our younger years, but we didn't, we chose this path
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Omah, If you say so!
I'll bet that old lady was a rich old lady - they're the first to say "I earned every penny!" .....

Now an example of "fortunate" would be Dido Harding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_Harding

Harding is the daughter of Lord Harding, and the grand-daughter of Field Marshal John Harding, 1st Baron Harding of Petherton, who commanded the Desert Rats in World War II. Raised on the family pig farm in Dorset, she was educated at St Antony's Leweston from 1978–85. She then graduated from the University of Oxford in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (the blaggers degree), where she studied under Vernon Bogdanor and alongside David Cameron; and then at Harvard Business School, gaining an MBA.

On graduation she joined the management consultancy McKinsey & Company. Leaving to become marketing director at Thomas Cook Group, she was then appointed commercial director at Woolworths Group. She then joined Tesco within Sir Terry Leahy's office as international support director, before being appointed commercial director of “added-value foods” in 2001.

Resigning her position in October 2007, she joined the board of directors at Sainsbury's as convenience director. She was named CEO of TalkTalk in 2010, during the period when the group split its Carphone Warehouse retail operation from the group telecoms operation. She was appointed as a non-executive director on The Court of The Bank of England in July 2014. She has also served on the boards of British Land and Cheltenham Racecourse.

In October 2015, TalkTalk experienced a "significant and sustained cyber-attack", during which personal and banking details of up to four million customers is thought to have been accessed. City A.M. described her responses as "naive", noting that early on when asked if the affected customer data was encrypted or not, she replied: "The awful truth is that I don’t know". Her "inflexible line" on termination fees was also criticised. Marketing ran a headline, "TalkTalk boss Dido Harding's utter ignorance is a lesson to us all". The Evening Standard noted that "It has been a tough week for TalkTalk boss Dido Harding, facing complaints from customers and calls for her head."

In February 2017 Harding announced she would stand down after 7 years as CEO of TalkTalk in May 2017 to focus more on her public service activities. She was appointed chair of NHS Improvement which is responsible for overseeing all NHS hospitals, comprising foundation trusts and NHS trusts, as well as independent providers that provide NHS-funded care in October 2017.
So, the totally incompetent Harding, who's never done a day's work in her life, is in charge of the NHS ..... and I'll bet my life that she only turns up at the office for a couple of meetings a week, when she can spare time from the racecourse ..... Harding was "fortunate" from the day she was born .....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top