Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 05:22 PM

Re: Am I being over sensitive ?

I would be very upset if that happened to me Julie.
If she didn't like the quilt she could have packed it away in a drawer or loft.
I don't think it was nice of her to tell you what she's done.
I wouldn't say anything though, let the husband deal with it, he will probably point out how unfeeling she is when he finds out
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 05:37 PM

FWIW I think it was extremely inconsiderate to throw something away that is so personal to him, without asking him. Whenever I have read of husbands or wives throwing stuff away that belonged to their other half, without permision or knowledge, just think that they have had absolutely no right to do so!

Yes Julie, I can well understand you are feeling hurt. I would be too.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 06:25 PM

I’d be hurt.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 06:53 PM

Another take on this.
We see our grand girls maybe a few times a year. They make things for us, paint pictures we hang on the walls. I hate to think how they would feel if we discarded them.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 07:02 PM

I would explain to her exactly what she had done and what the quilts mean to you all. But that's me, if I don't get it out I'd explode.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
All the kids have had a patch work quilt made by me out of their more memorable clothing, patches of christening robes, school uniforms, favourite footie gear etc anything they have really enjoyed gets put into the design. I give them to them when they turn 18 and we've had some lovely birthdays remembering their favourite times.

So knowing it takes me 18 years to make them they have treasured them I thought.

Anyway today wife of eldest said she had thrown out the tatty thing, my husband asked if eldest knew she had done that but seems it was her idea he knows nothing about it yet.

I am feeling a bit angry she could do that because she does know what it is and how much as a family we love these quilts.

But it is his, when I give a present it's no longer mine and it's for him to use or do what he wants with I know.

So am I being over sensitive feeling this annoyed that she would do this ? I don't want to fall out with her over it she's a lovely young woman and I do love her, it's just this stupid situation getting to me at the moment.

So am I being silly over it getting upset ?

What can I do to stop feeling this way ?

I am not used to feeling like this it's taken me by surprise, I guess I will find a way to forgive eventually but it's eluding me at the moment.
Aww, Julie, I sympathise with you. I would feel particularly hurt too if I learned an in-law had done the same to something that had been made with such love and tender care by me for a family member on a special occasion.
It would have been far better (but not right still) if she had said nothing at all, rather than risk hurting your feelings.

I have the most beautiful, cream crochet bedspread that my sister-in-law made as a wedding gift for us all those years ago. It is so heavy that it is impossible to wash myself, I only put it on the bed in wintertime from December to March, then it goes to the dry cleaners, into a vacuum pack and into the bed drawer until the next year.
I absolutely love and treasure it. and one day will pass it on to one of my DIL's. Whether she treasures it as much as I do is anyone's guess, but I will make a point of letter her know how much it means to me before handing it over.

I'm really sorry you have been upset over this, perfectly understandable on your part, I'm sure she would be mortified if she knew how much though.
Best to forgive and forget. It's done now.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 07:20 PM

Aw Julie - you have every right to be hurt & angry.

I really think the eldest should be told about this straight away and made to realise how hurt you are.

Try to get it back if you can & keep it yourself!
(assuming it's gone to a charity shop & not the tip)
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Totally understandable that you would feel as you do. It has sentimental value and was quite insensitive of her to not to consider your feelings in this. I.d ask what she did with it and try get it back if at all possible. Personally I wouldn't kick up a fuss as it could cause a rift and you have enough to deal with Julie without the stress of worry of a family fall out.

I.m really sorry for you, such a lot of thought and hard work obviously went into it. I hope you can get it back xx
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 09:04 PM

Oh thank you everyone at least I don't feel I am making a fuss about nothing, having said that I won't be making a fuss it's not mine hasn't been since I gave it away. I have no idea if eldest knows about it he's over seas and I wouldn't want to upset him while he's away nor cause trouble between him and his wife. She's not a bad young woman this is first time she's done anything to make me think she's not an angel, so I will keep my hurt to myself.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 09:27 PM

It may not be too late to retrieve it, talk to her. Also when your son does find out, it could cause all sorts of trouble. She may not stop there and do a blitz on everything she doesn't care for.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top