Join for free
Reply
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,590
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-02-2018, 09:14 PM
21

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
So if we stop buying they'll have better lives ? I can't imagine that if they have same capitalism we suffer from.
We are discussing a move from production in Spain and Portugal among others to other parts of the World. So this would be a big increase in demand for agricultural produce from the chosen regions.

When there is a sudden surge of demand for agricultural products this does not come without consequences for the new growers. For example deforestation to create agricultural plots, diversion of agricultural land from local production to international export etc. I think the most devastating example was quinoa, but I am sure there are others.

We don't know what the working conditions for the farmhands will be or how much they will be paid or whether they will be well treated. At least in the UK we can try to keep an eye on that.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,590
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-02-2018, 09:16 PM
22

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Do we really need for example Broccoli sure it's nice and we eat a lot of it but it's labour intensive maybe we should concentrate on easy to harvest veggies .
Why should we have to reduce our available product lines when we have everything we need at decent prices as we are? This is where Brexit starts to become all about reinventing the wheel. Did people vote for all this nonsense?
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,339
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-02-2018, 09:20 PM
23

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Do we really need for example Broccoli sure it's nice and we eat a lot of it but it's labour intensive maybe we should concentrate on easy to harvest veggies .
Hi

Broccoli is no more difficult to harvest than Sprouts Cabbages and Cauli.

Potatoes, carrots and parsnips can be highly automated, but they would be boring if that is all you got.
Reply With Quote
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is offline
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 17,626
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-02-2018, 09:22 PM
24

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Brocalli is a fussy delicate vegetable that must be picked in the middle of the night at a certain temperature before it flowers .
It is harvested and packed at the same time .
We can live without it .
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is offline
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,867
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-02-2018, 09:29 PM
25

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

There is one very simple answer to the brexit issue

All those in the UK who want to stay in the EU move over and live on the continent. That would ease up our housing crises- free up our roads- have plenty of hospital beds- school places in abundance. We would not have to pay so much in tax because most on benefits would be going as well when they get cuts under UK laws

Simples is common sense
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,590
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-02-2018, 09:30 PM
26

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Considering the complexity of picking it, broccoli is astoundingly cheap.
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,339
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
12-02-2018, 07:25 AM
27

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
There is one very simple answer to the brexit issue

All those in the UK who want to stay in the EU move over and live on the continent. That would ease up our housing crises- free up our roads- have plenty of hospital beds- school places in abundance. We would not have to pay so much in tax because most on benefits would be going as well when they get cuts under UK laws

Simples is common sense
Hi

I do not know a single one of my Polish friends who are on Benefits, they all earn too much and pay full tax and National Insurance.

We have a young couple here, she is Spanish, he is Hungarian.

She is a microbiologist, he is a Hydraulics Engineer.

They were both the only qualified applicants for the jobs and both earn in excess of 40k a year.

It is about time we started training our own.

Unemployment here is 1.2 % and every single one in the Social Housing are UK born and bred and on Benefits.
Reply With Quote
Purwell
Chatterbox
Purwell is offline
North Herts, England
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5,769
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
12-02-2018, 08:01 AM
28

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
There is one very simple answer to the brexit issue

All those in the UK who want to stay in the EU move over and live on the continent. That would ease up our housing crises- free up our roads- have plenty of hospital beds- school places in abundance. We would not have to pay so much in tax because most on benefits would be going as well when they get cuts under UK laws

Simples is common sense
Why don't you move to cloud cuckoo land?
Reply With Quote
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Julie1962 is offline
Surrey
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 38,315
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
12-02-2018, 12:06 PM
29

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Well on this one you would be well wide of the mark Julie.

We have a minimum wage and healthcare.

They have neither.

We can make lives better in those countries if we want to by insisting what they sell to us is paid for decently. Write it into contracts that people have decent rights. I've worked for Japanese countries here insist on various clauses in contracts, if they can force me to do daft stretching exercises before I start work we can look at ways to help others with our contracts.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We are discussing a move from production in Spain and Portugal among others to other parts of the World. So this would be a big increase in demand for agricultural produce from the chosen regions.

When there is a sudden surge of demand for agricultural products this does not come without consequences for the new growers. For example deforestation to create agricultural plots, diversion of agricultural land from local production to international export etc. I think the most devastating example was quinoa, but I am sure there are others.

We don't know what the working conditions for the farmhands will be or how much they will be paid or whether they will be well treated. At least in the UK we can try to keep an eye on that.
See my reply to swim

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
There is one very simple answer to the brexit issue

All those in the UK who want to stay in the EU move over and live on the continent. That would ease up our housing crises- free up our roads- have plenty of hospital beds- school places in abundance. We would not have to pay so much in tax because most on benefits would be going as well when they get cuts under UK laws

Simples is common sense
Or simply move to London I think most of them wanted to stay, certainly most in that big building houses our MPs do.
Reply With Quote
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Julie1962 is offline
Surrey
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 38,315
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
12-02-2018, 12:08 PM
30

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I do not know a single one of my Polish friends who are on Benefits, they all earn too much and pay full tax and National Insurance.

We have a young couple here, she is Spanish, he is Hungarian.

She is a microbiologist, he is a Hydraulics Engineer.

They were both the only qualified applicants for the jobs and both earn in excess of 40k a year.

It is about time we started training our own.

Unemployment here is 1.2 % and every single one in the Social Housing are UK born and bred and on Benefits.
I'm afraid round here I'm not so sure that applies. I know at least four who work only enough hours to access benefits, if you offer them more than 16 hours they are horrified. Also most are in nmw jobs that attract tax credits. Another form of benefit. They may not be unemployed but they know how to use the system.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.