Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Saving for later?

How can I persuade my dear hound that when I give him a rawhide chew he does not have to bury it in the garden but can enjoy it? On his first day he happily chomped through half of one, but ever since he has carefully stashed them away. I even tried giving hiim one with all doors closed - he stashed it down the back of the sofa and as soon as he could get out he retrieved it and took it out to bury it.
He has had to compete with other dogs in the pound prior to being here, so I can understand the behaviour, but I'd really like him to be able to just tuck in!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 12:43 AM

Re: Saving for later?

Hi Ania maybe change the rawhide chew to something else which can be eaten more quickly like dried fish
Burns and Fish4dogs both make dried fish products.
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 09:59 AM

He is just being a normal hound! Let him have his fun. When he wants his chew he will go and dig it up!

I watched my old Jack Russell kill a rabbit one day, he picked it up and carried it proudly tail held high and proceeded to bury it on a banking covered in fallen leaves. I went over later to find it and dispose of it (covered in fleas you see!) It had vanished. Obviously he hadn't actually killed it and it had lain doggo until he left then scarpered - laughed for ages afterwards!
In his younger days he would kill them then bury them until they had 'cooked' then he would dig them up and eat them it was totally disgusting
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 11:18 AM

I'm lucky if anything I give my two lasts more than a minute let alone saving it for later. They are gannets !
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
I'm lucky if anything I give my two lasts more than a minute let alone saving it for later. They are gannets !
Mine too....Their Motto seems to be, If it's not nailed down then I'm eating it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 01:10 PM

It's more that I'm curious, really. The first day he was with me he happily chewed away and demolished half of one rawhide bone. Since then they have all been buried, including the remaining half of the first one.
He demolishes any other treats that I give him, no problem.

I'd love to think that he will go back to them some day, but how soggy they will be...
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 01:33 PM

My german shepherd used to do this, I fed him and my border collie raw and if there was a particularly big bone he'd spend all afternoon on it then bury it, often moving it to different places over the next few days. He never did dig them up to chew at again. If I dug them up and washed all the dirt off them offered to him he'd just go and bury it again. My border collie would just leave them on the lawn when finished. Previous to this, my old mongrel would also bury bones and one night when my husband went to bed found one underneath his pillow of all places!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Phoebe was like that when we got her, she was bullied by the other dogs and not allowed to eat so it was afeed by hand jobbie for a while but eventually she got the idea. She has a thing about soft toys she carries them round and then burys them behind cushions or in my bed under the pillow is another good place.Dogs are good for you because you have always to be on your guard, no slacking because you dont know what they have for you up their sleeve.
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Phoebe was like that when we got her, she was bullied by the other dogs and not allowed to eat so it was afeed by hand jobbie for a while but eventually she got the idea. She has a thing about soft toys she carries them round and then burys them behind cushions or in my bed under the pillow is another good place.Dogs are good for you because you have always to be on your guard, no slacking because you dont know what they have for you up their sleeve.
You are soooo right
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Bit worried about Phoebe girl, she is sleeping heavily most of the day, I try to jolly her along but she gives me the , you stupid woman,look. Why does it happen at almost weekend when the vets are more expensive!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top