Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:44 AM

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

I've never head of duckduckgo until I read this thread, so that's how popular Google is I guess.
Fir interest, how did others hear of it? Did they Google "search engines" first by any chance?

I'm okay with Google as it's the most versatile. I can find anything I need to know easily such as helpful things like images, shopping and maps.
Why should I suddenly wish to go anywhere else.
And there is no "reduction of real books" either. Everything is still available in paper form if you want it, like I do.

I do not like the way they gather information though and find all of that quite disturbing, but I have nothing to hide and I'm careful with giving out personal details, so I don't worry about it and we'd all be paranoid wrecks if we start getting anxiety attacks about being watched all the time!

This forum is okay though if you put up with the habits of elderly folk: digressing, rambling and moaning about the young I'll find somewhere to hide now
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Recently joined twitter and that if you follow right people is very enlightening. Also I send all search engines as I can remember wondering about things prior to internet and you either waited until Saturday to go to the library or had to rely on people you knew who likely had no more idea than me what the truth was. By Saturday I'd usually forgotten the question too so never did find the answer.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Having said that, most websites are in thrall to Google analytics so Google keep their eyes on you and store your internet activity using that.
Spot on.

Don't think a lot of people realize that.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...=1568884052202
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I've never head of duckduckgo until I read this thread, so that's how popular Google is I guess.
Fir interest, how did others hear of it? Did they Google "search engines" first by any chance?
I heard of it a few years ago from a friend who works as an IT lecturer. I downloaded it to the phone but never ended up using it as it's less user friendly than others. Reading about it again I saw that it was somehow now linked to google. I thought the main thing with duckduckgo was that your identity was protected. But I think the search results are no better.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 10:22 AM

I use Google as a search engine and find it very useful indeed.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 10:28 AM

I saw the duckduckgo word a couple of years ago ...

I use Google Chrome, and if you go to Settings > Manage Search Engines ... it's there as an option. But I don't mind using Google, and I use Google.co.uk not Google.com ... if it makes any difference.

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 10:37 AM

Anyone use VPN?

A VPN is a "virtual private network" that allows quite a bit of anonymising of what you get up to. Some are free, some paid for but a common feature is to make your location appear to be in other countries.

Very useful for accessing sites that are prohibited by the EU (!) or only available in certain countries usually by reason of copyright.

Then there's the "Dark Web". Very useful for nefarious activity. Just "Google" it on Google as a first step to start your drug dealing!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I heard of it a few years ago from a friend who works as an IT lecturer. I downloaded it to the phone but never ended up using it as it's less user friendly than others. Reading about it again I saw that it was somehow now linked to google. I thought the main thing with duckduckgo was that your identity was protected. But I think the search results are no better.
How do you know that's true, Annie?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-09-2019, 11:21 AM

One thing we now have to be very careful of is pour past history on the internet.

For instance, if you are visiting the USA, you will now need to fill in a huge form about your internet use. What you don't disclose may be found by their 'detectives' and you will be refused entry to the country.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 11:57 AM

I mostly use Startpage as a search service but DuckDuckGo is set as the search provider on one browser that is installed.

Startpage retrieves its results from Google, but doesn't reveal to Google who was it that has sent a search request. As has been shown in previous posts, the choice is there if you look into things a little and don't follow the popular choice. It's easy to use a search service other than Google and not all of them log your searches.

All search engines do the same thing though. They send out their bots to explore any page that people put on the Internet and so the search results are always going to be more or less the same. Just a question of whether you mind the activity being logged or not.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top