Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 11:02 AM

New Guitar Day !

Last Saturday I decided that it was about time I bought a Gibson Les Paul again. I had one years ago but I never got on with it very well, because it had the split coils and chambered body that Gibson were doing and at the time. I thought this would be a good idea because it would be lighter and more flexible in tone, better for the 80s stuff we do. I sold it in about a month... it just wasn't "a proper Gibson Les Paul"... !

After about 6 years I realised a Gibson Les Paul is just supposed to be heavy and unsophisticated because thats what makes a Gibson Les Paul, a Gibson Les Paul, with that wide coarse sound and warm tones.

So, me and my friend popped over to Peach Guitars in Colchester and after about half an hour of looking around and playing a few off the racks, I managed to bag this one. It had just come into the warehouse and had been earmarked for some other customers, but, because my mate is such a guitar legend and knows the owners really well, they let me buy it for the same ticket price as the others.

Its a real beauty but needs a setup so its off to Guitar Legend Martyn Booth this afternoon a prep and some adjustments from one the best (if not the best) luthier's in the world (lucky he lives down the road from me, is a very good friend and worked on guitars for me over the past 10 years or so).

So, here it is.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_181033.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	11878   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_191051.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	11879  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 11:06 AM

Re: New Guitar Day !

Hi Bread that looks a beautifully made instrument, my son and grandson would love it.

My grandson is just learning the guitar, not on such an impressive instrument though ...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 11:26 AM

Nice figuration on that Les Paul Bread, best guitar I ever played (it was my mates) was a 59 Les Paul, it almost played itself.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Nice figuration on that Les Paul Bread, best guitar I ever played (it was my mates) was a 59 Les Paul, it almost played itself.
Mine has the 50s neck so its a bit of a chunker.

That 59 your friend has needs to be insured and kept in a safe, dry place. My friend who came with me to get my Les Paul last week has a 69 and thats worth around £10+ but would be a lot more if it had more of the original parts.

Thanks for the kind words
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

13-03-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Bread that looks a beautifully made instrument, my son and grandson would love it.

My grandson is just learning the guitar, not on such an impressive instrument though ...
Part of being a musician is reminiscing about the crappy instrument you learned to play on many, many years ago and wishing you never sold it.

How old is your Grandson ? My advise is to get him lessons as early as possible from a recognised tutor so he learns good technique straight away. It will accelerate his learning massively.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 11:44 AM

In 1975, I had a new Stratocaster, it was a Blonde one with white scratch plate, only regret stipulating a tremolo arm, to have any chance of maintaining intonation was to use all 5 balance springs, then that defeated some of the purpose of the trem.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

13-03-2020, 11:53 AM

Can't remember if that Les Paul was used in here.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 12:05 PM

I am so envious bread. I had a Les Paul back in '81, Black with Ivory trim. I started learning on a Columbus copy but when I got the real thing, it was like a dream. I wish I still had it as it would be worth a few bob now. Enjoy your new guitar mate.

Here's an old pic of me playing (right)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	img20190628_19285006_0001.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	11880  
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 12:09 PM

Wishing you happy fingering twang-man and this is from a fellow twanger :thumbup:
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 12:20 PM

What can I say. You know how much I appreciate this post. Take the superlatives as read. A Les Paul and a Marshall. What else would a man want!?..I had an SG Standard when I was a young fella. The classic blood red 2 pick up. Now I have a Strat. I let go of that SG when I was 21. I still mourn for it after 56 years. But I love your choice. May you have many golden hours with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top