Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 11:41 PM

Re: Decanting milk....

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Nope

I only drink wine when I go out for a meal. I tell you Mags, there's bugga all here
Gosh! you're hard to please Pesta!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Gosh! you're hard to please Pesta!
Well, there's only me here and I don't need a lot.

I've never been a wine drinker as in sitting around with it Mags.
I do enjoy a glass of red with a meal when out though. TBH half a glass and I'm ditsy!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 11:50 PM

Well, there's only me here and I don't need a lot.

I've never been a wine drinker as in sitting around with it Mags.
I do enjoy a glass of red with a meal when out though. TBH half a glass and I'm ditsy!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Have you got any empty wine bottles Pesta?

I thought Pesta was looking for containers to freeze milk in?
You couldn't use glass because the milk will expand when frozen and break the glass. (Remember how milk on used to pop the lid off when it froze on the doorsteps).

I have never frozen cows milk, I always though it altered the texture and it can 'separate' when defrosted?

I kept dairy goats for a good few years and always froze their suplus milk in special thick polythene bags.
I had a little heat sealing machine to seal the tops closed.
Goats milk is a different fat content to cows milk, so freezes well without changing texture.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I thought Pesta was looking for containers to freeze milk in?
You couldn't use glass because the milk will expand when frozen and break the glass. (Remember how milk on used to pop the lid off when it froze on the doorsteps).

I have never frozen cows milk, I always though it altered the texture and it can 'separate' when defrosted?

I kept dairy goats for a good few years and always froze their suplus milk in special thick polythene bags.
I had a little heat sealing machine to seal the tops closed.
Goats milk is a different fat content to cows milk, so freezes well without changing texture.
Yes, I remember the lid popping up when the milk froze on the doorstep Mups

No, the texture is fine after freezing and it doesn't separate when defrosted. It's just as it was before freezing.
BTW I'm talking semi skimmed, so don't know if skimmed or full fat change their texture after freezing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 12:22 AM

Yes, I remember the lid popping up when the milk froze on the doorstep Mups

No, the texture is fine after freezing and it doesn't separate when defrosted. It's just as it was before freezing.
BTW I'm talking semi skimmed, so don't know if skimmed or full fat change their texture after freezing.

That's interesting. I'm gonna experiment with that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 12:55 AM

Aaaw... I've gone all goey...

It wasn't the expense though, it was throwing something way if it might be scarce in the shops.

Why is milk only ok for 3 days once opened anyway? I'm sure milk used to last all week when were younger.
Skim milk lasts for ages.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 07:46 AM

I buy semi skimmed from the milkman - keeps 5 - 6 days in the refridgerator - no problem.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 07:50 AM

Hi

Advice from me.

I know sod all about many things,

I am a complete numpty about vital day to day things.

ST on cats, Mups on dogs, Barry, Judd, Fender and Gasman on DIY.

I do however know my stuff about certain things.

I started life as a Public Health Officer, a job now long gone.amongst other things, Infection Control in Isolation Hospitals.for Smallpox.

During the Cold war, I was a Nuclear, Chemical and Bacteriological Warfare Officer,
I have been seconded to the WHO.

I have worked abroad, and after 9/11 back to Enforcement.

I have a very limited Knowledge base, but I am good at my job.

Pesta, dump the milk. we have loads of it.

As soon as you open the container it starts to spoil.

Use it until rhe sell by date, no longer.

You are keeping yourself and others safe by doing so.

Some of the posts on here, by so called professionals are not only stupid, they are criminal.

Follow the Government advice and you will minimise the risk to yourself and others.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Tipping milk from a larger plastic milk bottle into a smaller one is something we have always done without any trouble. Also kept milk for quite a lot longer than the date given on the bottles. I think it's always possible to taste at the first sip (or smell when the bottle is opened) if milk has gone off.

We have a 4 pint bottle of milk at the moment because we couldn't get our usual 2 pint ones. The larger will be used to fill the smaller.

I haven't given consideration to this subject before reading here but I'll give it some thought. Maybe we have cast iron guts

Edit: Typo

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top