Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 04:13 PM

new ceiling light

Got fed up with the poor lighting in this room. It had a pendant light with a lampshade over it. So today decided to modernise.

First thing was to switch off in the fuse box the downstairs lighting circuit and the light switch. Checking with a tested all was dead/

So down with the old light and undid the ceiling rose only to find 3 cables when there should really only be one/ heavens knows but suspect used as a junction box as well.

without disturbing the wires too much I broke the plastic base and that left the terminal strips free.
as usually the wires were to short so having spare cable in the garage stripped that back and got the length I needed and conneceted to the terminal block

Out with the tester again to check we had power before was offering up the new light fittingthen everthing off yet again.
eventually it is up and working

Being muli directional may not have got them as I want exactly yet, but they work and a lot brighter as well

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 04:27 PM

Re: new ceiling light

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
So down with the old light and undid the ceiling rose only to find 3 wires when there should really only be one/ heavens knows but suspect used as a junction box as well.
Well done.
But you need two wires to make a circuit work. A live which is switched and a neutral. Usually there is an earth, yellow green, as well. So, three wires would not be unusual.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Well done.
But you need two wires to make a circuit work. A live which is switched and a neutral. Usually there is an earth, yellow green, as well. So, three wires would not be unusual.
Sorry I made an error in the post not with the job, it should be 3 cables into the ceiling rose not three wires, so corrected the mistake. Thank you for pointing that out. That is why i suspect it was used as a junction box as well
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sorry I made an error in the post not with the job, it should be 3 cables into the ceiling rose not three wires, so corrected the mistake. Thank you for pointing that out. That is why i suspect it was used as a junction box as well
So often are RS...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 07:08 PM

It’s sounds like it’s been wired using the looped in system
A feed in ( live and neutral) one from the switch ( neutral and switch wire) and live neutral out( to the next light)
You would have three red wires joined together ( and just connected to a spare terminal in the pendant( or a connector block) which would leave three black wires, two are neutral and one is the switch wire( hopefully it was identified) so basically the marked goes to one terminal connection with ( usually the brown wire) and the other two black wires to the other connection ( with the blue wire),
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

25-01-2020, 07:19 PM

Think you may be correct
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 10:26 AM

No idea on wires however light looks good.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 11:45 AM

I've got 2 of those in my kitchen. They look good.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 11:46 AM

Forgot to add : but we didn't put them up ourselves we go somebody in who knew what they were doing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
It’s sounds like it’s been wired using the looped in system
A feed in ( live and neutral) one from the switch ( neutral and switch wire) and live neutral out( to the next light)
You would have three red wires joined together ( and just connected to a spare terminal in the pendant( or a connector block) which would leave three black wires, two are neutral and one is the switch wire( hopefully it was identified) so basically the marked goes to one terminal connection with ( usually the brown wire) and the other two black wires to the other connection ( with the blue wire),
Yes and quite what I would expect to find although my house is wired using junction boxes which isn't great. There is always a slight delay on the last lamp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top