Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:32 AM

Re: Rate your stay

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Have you ever posted a review of a hotel or similar on a travel website? I'm thinking Trip Advisor, Trivago, Booking.com or similar

If you havent... why not?
If you have.. were you nervous about posting anything negative?

I've done a few but that was because I wanted to rave about the places I had visited.
The poorer hotels, I didn't bother writing about as apparently it can lower a hotel's star rating if they get lots of bad reviews (and vice versa of course)
Am I a wuss?!
Are you the same?
Or do you think being open and honest is the best policy so that others know what they're in for?
I have done a fair few over time - mostly motels and caravan parks but a few hotels too. I even praised a small country Maccas once for their aplomb in dealing with a bus load of seniors turning up when bigger, main road Maccas have gone into a panic.

I have never slated anywhere but have suggested that places need their facilities updating but I have complained about over pricing for places with good but average facilities (Cobar Caravan Park comes to mind -$38 a night when most places were $25 to $30 a night)
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:16 PM

I suppose I never expect too much and am easily satisfied...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:22 PM

From an hotel all you want is free parking, a comfortable bed, a quiet location & a decent TV & free wi-fi. With most budget hotels you do get this.
Not a lot to complain about there.
I don't think there's any need to go to a 'posh' hotel. Yes, you might get a larger room, but the price is just not worth it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
From an hotel all you want is free parking, a comfortable bed, a quiet location & a decent TV & free wi-fi. With most budget hotels you do get this.
Not a lot to complain about there.
I don't think there's any need to go to a 'posh' hotel. Yes, you might get a larger room, but the price is just not worth it.
Sadly, the 'quiet location' is often not present if you go to the wrong place at the wrong time!

In my experience, city centre hotels are often noisy for obvious reasons, unless you are lucky to get a room around the back! Then there are the larger hotels which often host large parties which can go on until quite late.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 01:00 PM

I remember an unrepeatable stay we had in a 'posh' hotel in the middle of Edinburgh. I suppose I shouldn't mention names.

The room we were in was good enough, but on our first evening all the power went off in our room. It remained on elsewhere, though. We called the front desk and, after quite some time, they sent someone up to reset the circuit breaker. That was when I noticed water trickling down the wall outside the bathroom and into the nearby wall light switch. I realised the problem, of course, and told the duty manager but we were not offered an alternative room as they 'were full'. The best they could do was to offer us a free meal that evening - which, bearing in mind the 'poshness' of the hotel, was unashamably crap.

In retrospect, I should have kicked up a fuss as the situation would make a H&S inspector's hair curl. Marge, however, said we shouldn't complain too much and we should just get to bed. I should also have demanded a large reduction but, again, anything for a quiet life. The power did go off again later, incidentally.

I wish now that I had made a formal complaint, not in the hope of a large reduction in cost, but in anybody's book that room could be described as dangerous.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I remember an unrepeatable stay we had in a 'posh' hotel in the middle of Edinburgh. I suppose I shouldn't mention names.

I wish now that I had made a formal complaint, not in the hope of a large reduction in cost, but in anybody's book that room could be described as dangerous.
I don't know about dangerous, JBR, you could have been electrocuted and 6ft under. That's just so shocking
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:38 PM

Sadly, the 'quiet location' is often not present if you go to the wrong place at the wrong time!

In my experience, city centre hotels are often noisy for obvious reasons, unless you are lucky to get a room around the back! Then there are the larger hotels which often host large parties which can go on until quite late.
Most of the budget hotels we stay in are quiet. Only once did we get a free night because there was a loud & merry party going on & the bar/outside area was too close to the rooms, many complained that next morning as well as us & the hotel must have lost money. We have never been back to that one.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

23-02-2020, 05:39 PM

The room we were in was good enough, but on our first evening all the power went off in our room. It remained on elsewhere, though. We called the front desk and, after quite some time, they sent someone up to reset the circuit breaker. That was when I noticed water trickling down the wall outside the bathroom and into the nearby wall light switch. I realised the problem, of course, and told the duty manager but we were not offered an alternative room as they 'were full'. The best they could do was to offer us a free meal that evening - which, bearing in mind the 'poshness' of the hotel, was unashamably crap.

In retrospect, I should have kicked up a fuss as the situation would make a H&S inspector's hair curl. Marge, however, said we shouldn't complain too much and we should just get to bed. I should also have demanded a large reduction but, again, anything for a quiet life. The power did go off again later, incidentally.

I would have kicked up a stink at that.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:50 PM

I post reviews and answer member's questions in areas that I know as well as reading other member's comments.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-02-2020, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I don't know about dangerous, JBR, you could have been electrocuted and 6ft under. That's just so shocking
Yes, of course, although at the time when we realised the water dripping down the wall we knew better than to get anywhere near to it.

I sometimes wonder what might have transpired if I'd informed the H&S authorities!

What I did find annoying was the cavalier attitude that we'll just re-set the circuit breaker. There was no thought of what might have caused it. We saw the water afterwards.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top