Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 12:24 PM

Cast Iron Pans

Is the rust on Cast Iron Pans harmful if ingested?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 12:48 PM

Re: Cast Iron Pans

Originally Posted by Azure ->
I wouldnt go out of my way to inges any Azure!
I believe they should be cleaned and then 'cured' by heating them
and then rubbing with cooking oil whilst still hot so the pores of
the iron can absorb the oil, this should then last for quite a while if
you use it often!
However if it has not been used for a while and has rusted then it
should be cleaned and recured again!
This is the disadvantage of cast iron utensils and is a shame as
they are very good for open fire cooking due to the even heat
spread of the iron which reduces the danger of burnt food!

Donkeyman! 😅😅
PS. You will need oven gloves!!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 12:59 PM

I use cast-iron pans all the time - once seasoned and used regularly, they never rust and are non-stick too. All I do to clean mine after I've used them, is allow them to cool before putting in some clean water (no soap required) then return the pan to the heat, let the water get fairly hot (no need to boil), then wipe round with a dishcloth of some description. Empty out the water, return the pan to a low heat and allow to dry before putting in half a teaspoon of sunflower oil then wiping it around to give a thin coating of oil. Sunflower is best as it won't burn next time you come to use the pan. I occasionally wipe the exterior of the pans with flax oil to prevent them from rusting.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Clean the rust off then lightly coat the surface with cooking oil.
I use cast iron for all my cooking because I have a tendency towards anaemia and minute traces of iron is absorbed by the food in the cooking process. The only down side is the weight so not for the frail or weak wristed
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Mine went rusty after being stored away for a couple of years. I threw them out.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Clean the rust off then lightly coat the surface with cooking oil.
I use cast iron for all my cooking because I have a tendency towards anaemia and minute traces of iron is absorbed by the food in the cooking process. The only down side is the weight so not for the frail or weak wristed
You should drink guinness for the anaemia LongDogs!! 😄😄😄
Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

08-03-2020, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I use cast-iron pans all the time - once seasoned and used regularly, they never rust and are non-stick too. All I do to clean mine after I've used them, is allow them to cool before putting in some clean water (no soap required) then return the pan to the heat, let the water get fairly hot (no need to boil), then wipe round with a dishcloth of some description. Empty out the water, return the pan to a low heat and allow to dry before putting in half a teaspoon of sunflower oil then wiping it around to give a thin coating of oil. Sunflower is best as it won't burn next time you come to use the pan. I occasionally wipe the exterior of the pans with flax oil to prevent them from rusting.
You know your stuff Juddy, l think constant use is the secret?
Donkeyman!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 06:33 PM

Thank you for all your replies.

It is a Frying Pan only used for making Omelettes.
I did cure it once in the oven , and clean it with hot water and rub with Olive oil.

However it is permanently stained dark brown but does not coat the food.

Perhaps my oven is not hot enough?
I am still using it as it cooks so quickly and very well.

May be I will try Flax Oil!
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 10:40 PM

Scrub them with steel wool, coat them in oil and get them hot as the dickens. To answer your question though, the rust will not cause you any harm. It is just iron and oxygen.....

I love cooking in cast iron. It disperses heat evenly and retains heat well. A well seasoned piece of cast iron is non-stick without the questionable chemicals in the modern non-stick steel pans.

Do a quick online check for "seasoning a cast Iron pan" for a more detailed explanation of how to bring it back to good service. You will probably find many "only ways" to do it. Select the easiest and see how you like the results.

Good luck
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=Azure;1868331]Thank you for all your replies.

It is a Frying Pan only used for making Omelettes.
I did cure it once in the oven , and clean it with hot water and rub with Olive oil.

However it is permanently stained dark brown but does not coat the food.

Perhaps my oven is not hot enough?
I am still using it as it cooks so quickly and very well.

May be I will try Flax Oil![/QUOTE]

If using inside the pan, use it sparingly because it tastes bloody awful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top