Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 12:37 AM

Re: Cast Iron Pans

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Scrub them with steel wool, coat them in oil and get them hot as the dickens. To answer your question though, the rust will not cause you any harm. It is just iron and oxygen.....

I love cooking in cast iron. It disperses heat evenly and retains heat well. A well seasoned piece of cast iron is non-stick without the questionable chemicals in the modern non-stick steel pans.

Do a quick online check for "seasoning a cast Iron pan" for a more detailed explanation of how to bring it back to good service. You will probably find many "only ways" to do it. Select the easiest and see how you like the results.

Good luck
Plenty of tutorials on YouTube.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Is the rust on Cast Iron Pans harmful if ingested?
No, it is iron oxide and Australian drinking water contains it - one of the problems of living in a country made of iron ore but our life expectancy is longer than yours so it can't be doing too much harm.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=Judd;1868594]
Originally Posted by Azure ->
Thank you for all your replies.

It is a Frying Pan only used for making Omelettes.
I did cure it once in the oven , and clean it with hot water and rub with Olive oil.

However it is permanently stained dark brown but does not coat the food.

Perhaps my oven is not hot enough?
I am still using it as it cooks so quickly and very well.

May be I will try Flax Oil![/QUOTE]

If using inside the pan, use it sparingly because it tastes bloody awful.
Thank you Judd.

I already have flax seeds to add to food but they are
tasteless.

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Scrub them with steel wool, coat them in oil and get them hot as the dickens. To answer your question though, the rust will not cause you any harm. It is just iron and oxygen.....

I love cooking in cast iron. It disperses heat evenly and retains heat well. A well seasoned piece of cast iron is non-stick without the questionable chemicals in the modern non-stick steel pans.

Do a quick online check for "seasoning a cast Iron pan" for a more detailed explanation of how to bring it back to good service. You will probably find many "only ways" to do it. Select the easiest and see how you like the results.

Good luck
Thank you , Savvy.
I will do some research on YouTube, 'the fountain of knowledge. to learn the correct way to season Cast Iron Pans.

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

09-03-2020, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, it is iron oxide and Australian drinking water contains it - one of the problems of living in a country made of iron ore but our life expectancy is longer than yours so it can't be doing too much harm.
Thank you Bruce for that information.

Perhaps I will not worry now and I definitely intend to live a long time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top