Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 07:03 PM

Re: pressure washer Karcher

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Is the lance what is called a dirt blaster that spins cleaning small circles on the slabs?

This is what the karcher K2 does and is crap with that rubbish plastic inside
Yes, but I bought a brass one off ebay and it's still as good as new four years on. 👍
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 08:33 PM

This is the one I have been looking at. seems to be ideal and good reports. Price is reasonable compared to well know makes l
Looks like a good package but only time and use will tell. I had an electric one ten years ago and like you say the trailing cord is a pain and I also had 'quality control' issues with the lance. I dumped it when we moved. Don't need one now, if I did I would consider this one.

Whatever you buy now that is made in China is rubbish, The Germans do it better 'cos they bring all the Chinese rubbish into their factory and carry out a quality control inspection. UK companies just import it and send it straight out to the gullible customer
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 11:40 AM

had a hunt around for supplers of Bosch pressure washers, seems there are very few and none around my area
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 12:26 PM

had a hunt around for supplers of Bosch pressure washers, seems there are very few and none around my area
Did you try the Bosch Dealer locator? Not sure which of these stock pressure washers but there seems to be dealers in east Sussex (as per your location), see link below:

https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/dealer-locator
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 12:41 PM

Apparently John Lewis are stockists. No idea if there's one near you though...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 02:23 PM

over 1 hour drive away in Kent
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 03:29 PM

over 1 hour drive away in Kent
I'm sure you can order them online from JL rather than going all the way to Kent.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

15-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Still thinking about it. Depends if my Karcher K2 rotary nozzle I ordered works or not
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 01:10 PM

the thing to look at is the pump, I've worked on hp pumps, so have an understanding of them better than a lot of people. In the smaller Karchers, and a lot of other cheaper makes the pistons are made of nylon, and this is for 2 reasons, 1 the cost, and 2 the length of time they are designed to last.
In a domestic situation any tool is expected to do a limited amount of work over the guarantee period, I remember Black and Decker used to reckon that in the hands of a DIY'er one of their drills would do no more than 6 hours work over a year, the warranty period, there were certain parts in the machine that they knew would only fail after 1o hours use, so if you took the drill in under warranty and one of these parts had failed, they'd deem it to have been used in a non DIY situation and therefore voided the warranty, it was a con basically, especially when you considered that a lot of people had sawing and sanding attachments for their drills.
It's the same with the nylon piston in a pressure washer, they know how long they will last before they fail, they actually melt!, effectively ruining the pump. Now they know that these will only fail in 2 situations, 1, running the machine dry, (remember you should always pull water through the lance before switching on) or 2, the machine has done more than the calculated number of hours during the warranty period, it's ridiculous how they calculate this, believe me.
The best advice I can give to anyone looking to buy a pressure washer is to find out if it's a metal pump, or a plastic one, yes, they're even making some units now with fully plastic pumps!
If it's a metal pump with metal pistons then the O rings can be replaced fairly easily and cheaply, you can do them yourselves. I have a number of Kango breakers, they are all over 30 years old, they don't make them any more, the only thing that ever fails is the piston seals, meaning they don't hammer, a seal kit is about £40 online, I found out the size of them, basically an imperial O ring and bought a box full for less than a tenner, now I can repair these machines at my leisure. it really is that easy, a lot of stuff uses common parts, you just have to identify them, I remember a bearing failing in the washing machine, a bearing from the supplier was about £50, a bearing from the firm who supplied the manufacturer was about a fiver. hope this saves some people a few quid.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
the thing to look at is the pump, I've worked on hp pumps, so have an understanding of them better than a lot of people. In the smaller Karchers, and a lot of other cheaper makes the pistons are made of nylon, and this is for 2 reasons, 1 the cost, and 2 the length of time they are designed to last.
In a domestic situation any tool is expected to do a limited amount of work over the guarantee period, I remember Black and Decker used to reckon that in the hands of a DIY'er one of their drills would do no more than 6 hours work over a year, the warranty period, there were certain parts in the machine that they knew would only fail after 1o hours use, so if you took the drill in under warranty and one of these parts had failed, they'd deem it to have been used in a non DIY situation and therefore voided the warranty, it was a con basically, especially when you considered that a lot of people had sawing and sanding attachments for their drills.
It's the same with the nylon piston in a pressure washer, they know how long they will last before they fail, they actually melt!, effectively ruining the pump. Now they know that these will only fail in 2 situations, 1, running the machine dry, (remember you should always pull water through the lance before switching on) or 2, the machine has done more than the calculated number of hours during the warranty period, it's ridiculous how they calculate this, believe me.
The best advice I can give to anyone looking to buy a pressure washer is to find out if it's a metal pump, or a plastic one, yes, they're even making some units now with fully plastic pumps!
If it's a metal pump with metal pistons then the O rings can be replaced fairly easily and cheaply, you can do them yourselves. I have a number of Kango breakers, they are all over 30 years old, they don't make them any more, the only thing that ever fails is the piston seals, meaning they don't hammer, a seal kit is about £40 online, I found out the size of them, basically an imperial O ring and bought a box full for less than a tenner, now I can repair these machines at my leisure. it really is that easy, a lot of stuff uses common parts, you just have to identify them, I remember a bearing failing in the washing machine, a bearing from the supplier was about £50, a bearing from the firm who supplied the manufacturer was about a fiver. hope this saves some people a few quid.
An interesting post Sparky.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top