Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 09:04 PM

advice about planting spuds...

Ok so I have heard there is a special way to plant spuds so that you "shore them up". Well I am terribly confused about what that means. Having had a poor yield last year I was hoping that those who have achieve spud magic in the past could share their expertise as to exactly what one has to do to achieve a good crop.

Well the "shoring up" business sounds very complicated and how do you know what to do and when? I now have three bags of early and second early to keep my mind off the c-word and be occupied in the fresh air now that Spring is springing!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Re: advice about planting spuds...

Did you make sure all growing spuds were covered against the light? I used to just plant them in my raised bed, or in grow bags. I think the latter, though, restricted yield. Those in the raised bed did well. If I remember correctly, aren’t spuds planted in a raised ridge, which shores up the compost? If growing in a grow bag, you add compost as the greenery shoots up, keeping seed potatoes covered.

I’ve usually had hit and miss luck with spuds, some years getting a practically nil yield.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 09:33 PM

Eyes upwards.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 10:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRtBiVw4dGA

Above may help Annie
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 05:26 AM

Thanks Basser That makes sense that there are new shoots that will then be spuds. I found this clip which makes it really clear as it's in raised beds :

Funny thing is that I was preparing the raised beds (last year's compost as no chance of buying any now) and found a whole bowl of small potatoes. I thought the bed was full of weeds but perhaps the old year plant remnants had seeded themselves? I didn't know that happened. But quite a bonus at the moment!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top