Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 07:24 PM

Schools closed from Friday

All schools in the U.K. to be closed from this Friday.
Except for children of key workers .

I don t quite get this what if the children of key workers ( such as nurses ) take it back home to their parents and hence to hospitals ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 07:31 PM

Re: Schools closed from Friday

I expect the same rules will apply as now, sick children will be sent home. I hope testing will be available soon!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 07:40 PM

My girlfriend works at the pharmacy and has a temperature and a cough. She has been told to stay away for 14 days so they will really struggle from now on. Charlie would go to school because Mrs Bread is a key worker, so he will also stay at home now.

I'm still working from home as I normally do - I have a sore throat, I had a temperature a few days ago and now I have a cold. It's no big deal really, but I'll keep away from other people just in case - it's more than likely to be COVID-19 but testing for it won't help I'll wait and get the test for the antibodies when the government distributes them in the coming weeks. If I've had COVID-19 I'll get out and about a bit and see what I can do to help the neighbours.

My son has had an email from York Uni saying all courses (except his) will be given a pass mark for entry into year 2. He has course work but he has almost finished it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 08:34 PM

I understand exactly why schools have stayed open this long in spite of some people criticising the government for doing so.
I guessed they would close them Friday making provision for the pupils of key staff to receive care.

My 3 older grandchildren (2 aged 10 one 9)were taken out of school on Monday as their parents are at home anyway and they are being 'homeschooled' .They are at a private school and my son and DIL thought it would ease the pressure on staff who have to arrange to send borders home early (some overseas) than look after the children of key staff which includes at least two hospital consultants and an air ambulance pilot.
My son and DIL are enjoying teaching them and have access to school work .

Heaven knows when the schools will go back

My son has given them all email accounts so they can chat and check up on me the youngest aged 9 has apparently been having nightmares about anything happening to her Nanna, I guess a lot of other childen have the same fears.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 08:50 PM

My grandson’s College closed earlier this week and he is doing his work at home. He was told they may not be able to go back before the end of August.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
My girlfriend works at the pharmacy and has a temperature and a cough. She has been told to stay away for 14 days so they will really struggle from now on. Charlie would go to school because Mrs Bread is a key worker, so he will also stay at home now.

I'm still working from home as I normally do - I have a sore throat, I had a temperature a few days ago and now I have a cold. It's no big deal really, but I'll keep away from other people just in case - it's more than likely to be COVID-19 but testing for it won't help I'll wait and get the test for the antibodies when the government distributes them in the coming weeks. If I've had COVID-19 I'll get out and about a bit and see what I can do to help the neighbours.

My son has had an email from York Uni saying all courses (except his) will be given a pass mark for entry into year 2. He has course work but he has almost finished it.
I hope you get better soon Bread.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I understand exactly why schools have stayed open this long in spite of some people criticising the government for doing so.
I guessed they would close them Friday making provision for the pupils of key staff to receive care.

My 3 older grandchildren (2 aged 10 one 9)were taken out of school on Monday as their parents are at home anyway and they are being 'homeschooled' .They are at a private school and my son and DIL thought it would ease the pressure on staff who have to arrange to send borders home early (some overseas) than look after the children of key staff which includes at least two hospital consultants and an air ambulance pilot.
My son and DIL are enjoying teaching them and have access to school work .

Heaven knows when the schools will go back

My son has given them all email accounts so they can chat and check up on me the youngest aged 9 has apparently been having nightmares about anything happening to her Nanna, I guess a lot of other childen have the same fears.
That's what I thought too.

I think the government are right to announce these things in stages rather than all at once which would undoubtedly cause civil unrest.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2020, 04:29 AM

Sydney's Catholic Archbishop has told Catholic schools the Federal Government is urging Catholic schools to remain open amid fears about coronavirus

Archbishop Anthony Fisher, in a letter sent to NSW and ACT bishops on Wednesday, said Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan and Prime Minister Scott Morrison made it clear they were disappointed some independent schools had closed their doors.

"The Government asks us to work together, collectively to seek the best medical advice, to help preserve calm, and to help it in its best efforts to address this public health emergency," he wrote.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...ishop/12069954

Our PM, Scotty from Marketing, said:

"[On] the issue of wide-scale closure of schools, it might be anti-intuitive, but the advice is this could actually be a very negative thing in terms of impacting on how these curves operate.

That happens for two reasons. When you take children out of schools and put them back in the broader community, the ability for them to potentially engage with others increases that risk. And that’s the understanding we have …

The other issue is the disruption impact that can have and put at great risk the availability of critical workers such as nurses and doctors and others who are essential in the community because they would have to remain home and look after their children.

And so while it may seem counterintuitive, there is very good reason why you would not be moving to broadscale closures of schools that could actually make the situation worse, not better. And so the states and territories are not moving in that direction."

The states and territories have displayed a united front with the prime minister so far. On Wednesday, the South Australian premier, Steven Marshall, said there was no point extending schools holidays for a couple of weeks.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2020, 11:17 AM

Most of my private tuition involves Year 11 and 13 students. This has come to a grinding halt, obviously and I stand to not earn another couple of thousand, which would have been useful in terms of topping up the pot.

However, there will be supply teachers who will now be around net £8k+ out of pocket. That'll be hard to overcome!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2020, 11:42 AM

My daughter who is a primary school teacher will still going be into school to teach the key worker’s children and vulnerable children.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top