Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 09:28 PM

Decanting milk....

I have a problem with milk and only drink a little in my cuppas. I usually go through just under a pint in 3 days and throw any left away (as it only is supposed to last 3 days once opened).

At the mo all the pint milk seems to be snapped up. My daughter bought me a 2 pint one and said put half in an empty one.

I always freeze milk till needed.

Question: Do I have to sterilise the used plastic carton before I decant from the 2pint container or can I just wash it out with warm water perhaps will a little salt added? I don't have anything to sterilise it with.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 10:05 PM

Re: Decanting milk....

I have no idea Pesta, I'm sure someone will know but I just had a brainwave (really). What about making milk ice cubes?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I just had a brainwave (really). What about making milk ice cubes?
OMG! LD you're a genius!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 10:10 PM

Glass is always the preferred option for storing milk Pesta. Glass bottles can be washed out just using hot water and glass doesn't retain any of its previous content.

However, plastic is slightly porous and will absorb some of its contents which can not be rinsed out and cross contamination can occur....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 10:12 PM

I have no idea Pesta, I'm sure someone will know but I just had a brainwave (really). What about making milk ice cubes?
Oh yes Dingaling, good idea - thanks chuck

'Cept I haven't not an ice cube tray
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
OMG! LD you're a genius!
Well... you know...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 10:14 PM

Zip lock bags store liquids quite well in the freezer. Make sure they're closed and not full. They can squeeze in small spaces.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 10:15 PM

You could also make ice cubes out of orange juice, blueberry juice and grape juice......stick them all together and make a 'Rubics Cube'......
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You could also make ice cubes out of orange juice, blueberry juice and grape juice......stick them all together and make 'Rubics Cube'......
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Glass is always the preferred option for storing milk Pesta. Glass bottles can be washed out just using hot water and glass doesn't retain any of its previous content.

However, plastic is slightly porous and will absorb some of its contents which can not be rinsed out and cross contamination can occur....
Hmmmmm, just as I thought Foxy. Thanks. Don't have any glass bottles, so guess I'll have to throw it away after 3 days.
Awful to do when people might be scratching around for milk.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top