Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 10:48 AM

A little bit of advice

I'd like to throw this out to you all, it may help some of us who are a bit vulnerable mentally right now.
I'm not ashamed to admit this but I suffer from PTSD, as a result of something that happened when I was a kid, now during therapy you get lots of meds, and lots of advice, I used to get really down over stuff my therapist said I was setting myself up to fail, it went like this, some of you may recognise it.
I'd plan my tomorrow before going to bed, like this, 'I'm going to get up and wash the dishes, then hoover the house, wash the car, put out some washing, and prepare dinner' for example.
However if I got up and didn't feel too good, or I'd had a bad night, or something, not everything got done, then I'd feel like a failure. This is the advice I was given, it works, try it if you're in a similar situation.
before going to bed you say to yourself, ' right, in the morning I'm going to get up and wash the dishes, then if I feel like it, perhaps I'll hoover up, I may wash the car, but if it's raining, I could dust the lounge instead'
So long as you complete the first task you've won, anything else is a bonus, plus you have a fallback situation, it's a win win.
You go to bed and you think, 'well, I washed the dishes, and hoovered, ok I didn't wash the car, but it was raining, then again I did dust the lounge'
Instantly you begin to feel more positive about yourself, you only had one 'mission' to complete, but you completed several, you're a star!

If you're feeling a bit depressed, or just a bit down in general, please, try it, well it's either that or you come here and I bore you all to death with tales from my life. lol
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Re: A little bit of advice

Excellent advice - thank you, Sparky!
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Excellent advice - thank you, Sparky!
It was taught to me as part of my 'toolkit' to help me with my problems and it worked, the lack of self worth is one of the biggest problems you can face, and then it's just a downward spiral from then on. take care and stay safe.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 01:02 PM

Good advice - thank you, Sparky.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 01:43 PM

Sparky, thank you so much for your post, it's excellent advice.

I hope you don't mind if I copy it and send it to my daughter.? My granddaughter suffers with PTSD from when she was a child, she is 19 now and still suffering so I hope my daughter will use your post to get your message over to my granddaughter.
MarciKS
Kansas USA
MarciKS is female  MarciKS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 02:35 PM

Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Great advice, Sparky !

Sorry to hear you have PTSD, but I hope your coping mechanism helps you get out and about as much as possible. I found having a hobby helped when I had depression and music is always good therapy for me Not quite the same thing, but you know what I mean ...

Enjoy the sunshine too - vitamin D is a huge benefit to those who suffer these horrible conditions.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 05:00 PM

Excellent advice Sparky
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 05:06 PM

Thanks for sharing that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 06:05 PM

Many things that happen as a child can cause a life long effect. For me it was nearly drowning at about the age of 3 so I was told. even now I can't bear to have my head under water, even swimming is a no no. Just got to accept and get on with life

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top