Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Re: Cashless Society

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes Swim, there is still a very important place for cash...
I never use the main dealers either, right robbing bar stewards...

And the carpet fitter coming on Saturday said 'A bit cheaper for cash!'...
Well that's illegal they aren't allowed to do it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Hi

Julie, my cleaner gets National Minimum Wage, no travel time,

She is charged out at £15,73 an hour.

I pay her cash and I am happy to do so.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well that's illegal they aren't allowed to do it.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Julie!.....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 01:08 PM

Most of our shopping and other transactions are done on line.
So none of the folding kind for that.
But there are some things for which you need cash.
For example, our window cleaner doesn't have a means of taking payment by card.
And. at some supermarkets, you need a pound coin to get a trolley. It is refundable. The main benefit, as I see it, is that it makes shopper put the trolleys back to their parking slot.

It may also be a minor deterrent against theft but if you really wanted to have your own shopping cart for whatever reason, you couldn't buy one for just a quid.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 01:34 PM

At least if you only carry cash and get mugged that's all they get.....

As Annie has pointed out, using a card leaves a paper trail and the establishment will always know where you are. But using cards might discourage illegal entry into the country which can't be a bad thing.

Down and outs could be issued with temporary cards with small amounts paid in each week by the government. As well as the person been registered, buying things like drugs, alcohol and fags could be restricted..
That is exactly what I mean about restrictions on personal liberty. Many died so that we would have the liberty to live our lives without scrutiny and interference by the state. These rights are gradually being eroded under our noses. I baulk when i hear someone say this does not apply to them as they have nothing to hide.

There was a news story today about a 97 year old who was refused counter service to withdraw cash because she should use an atm. She had never used one and had problems with her hands.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Julie, my cleaner gets National Minimum Wage, no travel time,

She is charged out at £15,73 an hour.

I pay her cash and I am happy to do so.
If she pays whatever tax is due on that then no problem swim, I just have a funny feeling the other case is more to avoid tax than anything.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 02:46 PM

At least if you only carry cash and get mugged that's all they get.....
If they stole your card what could they do without your PIN?
What about a mobile phone?

A tail...

For many years I had a business mobile phone. I was on call 24/7. I didn't want that after I retired.
I now walk a lot. My dear wife insisted that I had a mobile in case anything happened. I wasn't keen. Just one more thing for mugger buggers to nick was how I saw it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-11-2018, 02:49 PM

My bank has a really good and quick method to stop cards if they are stolen, when my bag was stolen my cards were stopped within 5 minutes of me reporting them and they covered the 20 minutes before I reported it too. I was never going to lose a penny they assured me. If I had cash on me they would have got the lot.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:22 PM

Mornin' all...

The only cash I carry these days is when I am using Community Care. The drivers must be paid in the exact amount of cash...and absolutely no tipping.

Other than that...it's my debit card for everything else.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:35 PM

We are seeing more of these here, used by housekeepers, home repair people, small business owners etc. At first it feels risky, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Better than a check, the transactions can be disputed if there is a problem. So far I have made purchases with "squares" in Apple stores, my hair salon, and my plumber (equally important services, I might add ).

https://nationalbankcard.com/product...iABEgKAtfD_BwE

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top