Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:49 PM

Re: Ice melting / Fly infestations?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can't answer that donkeyman, but if we have not already gone through 'the point of no return' I feel we must be close.
The worrying thing is, people are not heeding warnings and are still carrying on regardless.

Even if we stopped burning fossil fuels and cutting down forests now, the greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere would continue to warm our planet for decades. And we are not even stopping yet.

We wait and wait for people in authority to tell us what to do instead of learning and thinking for ourselves.

The write up I was reading said we call ALL do small things to help make a difference, but the majority of people don't seem willing to give anything up.

Quote: "Everything we buy, watch, eat and wear takes energy to make, and because of 80% of the worlds's energy comes from fossil fuels, that creates even more greenhouse gases.

"Food is a good place to start. Why not find out where our food comes from and how it was produced. Many foods that go off quickly are flowin in by aeroplane - a huge source of greenhouse gases."

In my opinion, as someone said earlier, it doesn't help because we have come to all expect 'out of season' fruit & veg, which inevitable comes from abroad.

We'll have to grow our own again, and all keep some hens for fresh eggs for a start! Pity I haven' got my dairy goats any more too!
It never was in our control Mups, natural production of greenhouse gases far outweighs anything man produces. Even without the human race the climate would carry on morphing as it has done for the last millions of years. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and make the world a better place for our species, but ultimately nature will have the last word....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I have just responded to your post on Butterflies before reading this post, Mups .
So many individual concerns are raised and we attempt to understand, and do understand so much more than we used to. On the other hand, we seem to be blindly moving forward with the latest scientific experiment, or technological achievement without understand anything of the impact outside of our own vision until maybe it's too late.
I believe nature will survive, on one level or another, but if the great cycle of the balance of nature is severed, we will suffer indirectly for a long time.
We only have to see how the vultures in Africa are being threatened. Scavengers of dead carcasses and the only creature that is able to digest the bacteria of botulinum, cholera and anthrax. They feed off the carcasses of elephants that have been poisoned by poachers,(reports indicate that an elephant is slaughtered every 25 mins in Africa) In turn other wildlife such as insects and grubs feed off the dead vultures and also die from the poison in the system and so it goes on. Yet again, the end result is only to satisfy the consumer markets whether legal or illegal.
Climate change and ice caps melting, would seem to be a very big wake-up call of human activity gone massively wrong from a different perspective .

So do you believe that these changes have never taken place before in the history of the world Puddle Duck? Have they only occured recently due to man's involvement?
And do you think that man has the ability to alter the direction of nature?
And if we could alter the direction of nature do you think something equally nasty would be the result?

Read my signature at the bottom of the page.....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

So do you believe that these changes have never taken place before in the history of the world Puddle Duck? Have they only occured recently due to man's involvement?
And if we could alter the direction of nature do you think something equally nasty would be the result?

I replied with a fairly good logic,( I thought ) but once I pressed the button, it went down the pan. So annoying !

Will come back in the morning and try again. Night
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

16-09-2019, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I replied with a fairly good logic,( I thought ) but once I pressed the button, it went down the pan. So annoying !

Will come back in the morning and try again. Night
No problem Puddle Duck, it's happened to me in the past and you lose the will to live.....
I either write my long posts on MS Word or keep pressing copy to save what I've written....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:57 AM

OGF..
Yes, agreed these changes have taken place before, millions of years ago. The difference now is that what was a slow ecological process, has now speeded up to massive changes within a human lifetime.
There are 7.5 billion people on this planet, and that must surely have had an impact and still does have a greater impact with the destruction caused and following on of the 'domino effect '

Whether we can change things, who knows ? I doubt there is any quick solution whatever we do. Our oceans from north to south are polluted, that's nothing to do with natural phenomena. The earth has been shaken to the core with bombs dropping and nuclear disasters like Japan and Chernobyl, and on August this year radioactive gases swept across a Russian town released from a an explosion at a test sight. How many more we don't hear about ?
Space travel, the mighty take offs, polluting the skies .
All these things go into the atmosphere and are dispersed elsewhere.
How do we know what is going on below in the deepest part of our oceans ? Earthquakes and tsunamis from the seas could be causing bubbling and hotting up of the oceans also.
The tectonic plates of the earth are shifting, we've had earthquakes causing tsunamis and shifting the axis of the earth , once in Indonesia and more recently in Japan where the coast moved 8 ft . All these things contribute to a change in a cycle , and we need to know how we can assist our beautiful planet .
Where we have natural disaster which must play a huge part, scientists seem to build on what we already have, being more destructive and experimental and they seem unable to turn the clock backwards , but that's not in their job description..
Energy, oil, gases, food , livestock for 7.5 billion people , must impact the natural world.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

You are correct OGF! We have always been at the mercy, ( not
the right word l know ) of nature?
The way l look at it we are surfing a wave, and can control
where we go to a small degree, but ultimately we are totally
dependent on the wave?
Our problem is we are not satisfied with the pace of nature
We allways want things quicker, /more/ or for less or for
nothing!!
One day the BIG wave will come and All life will cease on
this planet whatever we do or dont do!
Have a good week!

Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:54 PM

I agree with Foxy and Donkeyman too, about us being at the mercy of nature and how it has all happened before.
I do however, think we are speeding up the inevitable.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with Foxy and Donkeyman too, about us being at the mercy of nature and how it has all happened before.
I do however, think we are speeding up the inevitable.
Thats debateable Mups? But l agree we must do all we can
as it can only be to our benefit anyway?

Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Thats debateable Mups? But l agree we must do all we can
as it can only be to our benefit anyway?

Regards Donkeyman!

What do you disagree with, Donkeyman?
The fact we are speeding things up, or that it is inevitable?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 06:43 AM

No doubt climate change would have happened anyway but there is not much doubt that we are speeding it up by releasing fossil fuels on a big scale and by being too successful as a species with our population explosion.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top