Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Re: Have you killed a living animal?

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
i have done that, caught it's leg and probably ruined it forever before turning it out on a rainy night. Upsetting!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Absolutely !!! - Before Myxamatosis, the fields around where I lived were alive with Rabbits - went with my Dad and some friends and killed a few rabbits, which then became our food - love Rabbit stew!!!
We had Myxamatosis in the rabbits around the horses fields. One was lying in front of me very ill, but I couldn't shoot it, my friends boyfriend took the gun & finished it off. I just couldn't shoot it even though it was in agony.
I could never kill a mammal, I have squished a few mozzies, gnats, flies etc & I do kill False Widow spiders. They are evil looking & have a nasty bite & are not native to here.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:33 PM

24 years army , a couple of wars , countless survival courses , 3 guns at home at this very moment , one fishing boat ... having read all the above posts I’m saying nothing but go figure !
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:48 PM

I try not to kill anything however I’m not stupid about it. In mid summer when I’m trying to sleep and there are mosquitoes trying to suck my blood, they are goners just like the thousands of ones before them.

Would I kill an endangered species if it threatened my life???

That’s a no brainer for me. Anything that threatened not only my life but any of my family’s life , pets included, I’d kill if I had to. You bet.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:19 PM

Yes , used to own a rifle when I was a teenager so would often go out shooting. Used to go fishing as well so have inadvertently killed many small fish.

I would never do that now as it happens, but it's strange how it was ok as a teenager.

Obviously as a carnivore I am responsible for the death of literally hundreds of fish, shell fish, sheep, cows, chickens, pigs, deer etc, as are all carnivores.

As consumers we are all responsible for the death of millions of wild animals and much sea life.

It's a cruel world !
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:19 PM

The other day I was tidying up the leaves, doing a bit of pruning like you do. There was bee, so I nudged him gently with my glove onto where the path met the soil.

Carried on with what I was doing and forgot about the bee.
When I came to sweep up, I'd stood on him at some point. I'd forgotten he was there.

Yes, I've stood on ants, flattened moths and flies and please don't ask me about spiders. I just seem to have a reflex action for spiders
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 12:04 AM

Like most on here,only by accident and felt very bad about it afterwards.
How anyone can make a sport out of killing is a mystery to me.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 10:25 AM

I have pals and family who shoot .... it's a mystery to me what pleasure anyone could get from killing an animal....they justify it by saying they eat what they kill..

It's the satisfaction of killing that I find peculiar. I try not to kill things but I eat meat so in a way we all do...unless your vegetarian of course.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 09:29 PM

I've been a shooter / gun enthusiast all my life.
However, I don't shoot animals and never have, probably never will.

I clay shoot and target / combat shoot and that's where it ends.

We're not all a bunch of nasties......
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I've been a shooter / gun enthusiast all my life.
However, I don't shoot animals and never have, probably never will.

I clay shoot and target / combat shoot and that's where it ends.

We're not all a bunch of nasties......

I too enjoy my shooting , 99% on the range but non the less maybe the odd rabbit or pheasant for the pot ... but then whilst hunters get a bad name let’s look at realities .... take a pheasant shoot ( my brother actually runs a pheasant shoot so I could get actual figures ) and they buy a few thousand poults in the spring , manage the land all year usually by sowing sunflowers , they feed them all summer .... then they shoot them .... argh !!!!!

Only the other week we were chatting and I asked how many they shot last season .... about 80 I guess he replied so that’s a few thousand wild pheasants running free that otherwise would never have even been born , indeed most of the wild pheasants you see are probably down to shoots as left to nature the pheasant would possibly be on the endangered species list years ago ..
Then there’s rabbits , I have a good farmer friend who begs us to shoot on his land as it’s over run with the things ( I could shoot there 24/7 for a year and not even put a dent in the rabbit population) making many of his fields useless for horses etc ( they fall in rabbit holes /break legs) ... and then there’s rabbit life expectancy itself , how many rabbit skeletons do you see when out and about? Do you see retired rabbits sat on the roadside reading the paper ? No of course not as in the wild very very few things ever live to die of old age as everything , rabbit pigeon pheasant mice EVERYTHING gets zapped as soon as it’s just that second too slow so a hunter taking the odd rabbit ? It’s nothing especially as I don’t know anyone who shoots who if he couldn’t get a 100% clear head shot instant kill would even pull the trigger and I’d go as far as too say whilst I’ve seen many misses on a range ( shooting far great distances ) I’ve never ever seen anyone miss a rabbit , that is how certain one is before pulling the trigger ..
Then there’s vermin , rats , squirrel etc ... I don’t bother but many do go shooting vermin and looking at the damage they cause possibly in some locations their hobby keeps disruption down and you don’t even realise it .
I own a small fast fishing boat and whilst I don’t get out half as much as I’d like I’d say apart from makeral and cod anything and everything else we catch is released unharmed ... my passion is fly fishing yet I dislike the taste of trout ... you guessed it ... back in the water ...
Personally I don’t give a monkeys what your views are on hunting in the uk but whilst you tuck in to your Greg’s sausage roll or McDonald’s chicken nugget remember the guy who takes the odd dinner from the wild is taking an animal that had a far better life than your factory produced ‘thing’

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top