Join for free
daisy
New Member!
west sussex.uk
daisy is female 

10-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Writing

Hello My daughter is writing and doesnt know how to get how to find out if it is worth publishing and how to go about it, can any one give advice? Happy New Year
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Re: Writing

Tell your daughter everything is on line if she Googles the info.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by daisy ->
Hello My daughter is writing and doesnt know how to get how to find out if it is worth publishing and how to go about it, can any one give advice? Happy New Year
Hello Daisy , I remember answering a similar post some time back , not sure where it was now , but this is what little advice i can give you .

Heres a link to a book your daughter might find helpful ,

https://wordery.com/writers-artists-...FY0aGwodgdYLgA

my own daughter wrote a short story and after buying this book , found a magazine publisher in Glasgow , I think it was D.H .Thompson , We sent the story to them .
It was read by there proof reader and corrections were made to her story , it was returned with a refusal , but with a covering letter of encouragements.
This happened some 30 year ago now ,there are lots of magazines that have short story sections , Your daughter may want to send it to one of them .
I wish your daughter the best of luck .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 04:52 PM

There's an annual publication called 'The Writers & Artists Yearbook' usually easy to get hold of.

It covers everything from writing a forwarding letter, synopsis, finding a publisher or an agent, which accept want kind of material or unsolicited manuscripts , royalties and copyright and tax bumf.
It's a good book and well worth getting.
I haven't bought one for ages ... but if any publishers have competitions or awards for new writers to enter that'll probably also be included in it.

Best of luck to her.
I travelled down that road years ago .. until my feet wore out.
If she's not interested so much in the money but just wants to get her work out to the public she could try publishing it as an e-book through Amazon. It costs nothing but Amazon will retain a copy of the book , even if she later withdraws it from sale on their site, so they can provide back-up copies to any customer who purchases it.

There's inevitable forms to fill in on there too. A stumbling block that a lot of authors don't like on there is the fact that you have to give your UK tax reference number to obtain an exemption from paying US Tax.

Whichever she chooses ... good for her!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 04:53 PM

I've just seen the link on your post Eliza
You beat me to it.
Great minds think alike.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Please, please tell her not to write another 'Billionaire' chick-lit for Kindle.

Seriously though, authors can put their work on Kindle, I'm not sure how it works but I understand that Kindle sell a book on how to do it. It seems that one of the most important things is to employ an independent proof reader. The biggest gripe on Kindle is spelling mistakes.

Good luck.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2017, 06:18 PM

I sometimes buy the magazine Writing. Very interesting and informative, and often does good articles. And they do competitions!
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 03:28 AM

I'm a published author. Writing is a skill that a person develops over time. The key is being willing to rewrite the book over and over and over again. My first book took me ten years. I had to teach myself to write. I spend between two and five years writing a given book, depending on the plot line. My suggestion is that your daughter take writing classes, read good books on writing, join a writers forum. There are bunches of them. On those sites one can find someone to read them and give critics...and take what the readers say with a grain of salt. Another place to try is Wattpad. If the intended audience is under 35, she can get feedback there. There are all kinds of places like that. If she's still doing this, you can contact me and I will give you more specific suggestions.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 07:00 AM

I've had a few things published. I'd be happy to look at a short extract of her work and give her my humble opinion for what it's worth.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 05:28 PM

My literary agent got my first book published. It was nonfiction. When she read the second one she said she guessed that I only had one good book in me. Well, she was wrong, but what it told me was that I needed to work on my writing skills. I did that. I rewrote the book for a couple more years. It did the trick. Something a writer's conference instructor told me was that each person is the authority on their own work. So unless someone else has a vested interest in the work, it's best to take the opinions cautiously. The new writer can be very discouraged by critiques. But is it good to have others read them. My husband is also a writer and he reads and edits my stuff, and then I apply his suggestions if they seem reasonable to me.

It's nice of you to offer to read for her, Eccles

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top