Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 02:34 PM

Leg weights advice please?

Hi

I'm trying to rebuild muscle in my legs as I've lost muscle in calves over the years and they seem to be all water!

I'm planning on using an exercise bike I've just got and wondered if pedalling with leg weights on would help?

I've found these on ebay with all different weights.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ankle-Wei...hQQ6ULU0lXB4ig

I wonder if anyone could recommend if 5kg weights would be ok to start with? (2.5kg on each leg) as don't want to go so light it makes no difference, but don't want to start too heavy either??

Would that be enough to start building muscle or would I need to be able to manage heavier like 5kg per leg straight away?

As a rough guide I can easily manage 4kg kettlebell with my arms but struggle more with a 6kg one with one handed exercises with extended arms.

I'm trying to build leg strength so can move from crutches that I tend to lean my weight onto to being able to use rollator with seat for a longer distance and eventually a single walking stick or hiking pole. (I have arthritis in knees and mild balance/co-ordination issues)

All advice and other tips on building muscle is welcome

Thank you

Susan
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 04:47 PM

Re: Leg weights advice please?

Susan, that's terrific that you are working hard to increase your strength and mobility!

Can you increase the resistance on the bike without adding weights? I would think that would be a better way to develop strength.

I would consult a physical therapist who could advise you better than I could. A few sessions with a physical therapist would also give you the best possible leg strengthening activities without affecting your balance.

If you do add weights. Start light and build up. There's just too much risk of exacerbating your inflammation or causing potential injury by going too heavy too fast.

Good luck and please let us know how you proceed!

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Hi Susan.
I'm assuming you are not looking at gym-based exercises? But that's fine as you don't need access to a squat rack or calf raise machines to build the calves. (I use a 'sled press' machine using a toe press stance for my calves which is very effective, building strength very quickly and keeping the muscles very hard).

You mention getting some leg weight pouches to use on an exercise bike. While these are a good idea they are best used for general walking, especially uphill where the calves are used more. Most exercise bikes have a dial which increases the resistance and that is adequate for pushing the legs harder. I don't think extra leg weights on a bike would make much difference.

To build or keep your calf muscles strong without any weights try standing facing a high chair or something you can rest your hands on. Then using only your toes, push yourself up a few inches and pause for a few seconds each time until you feel the 'burn' in your calves and lower yourself down again. Repeat this about 10-12 times.
Be careful not to injure the top parts of your toes or the arch under your feet. Also be careful you don't stretch too much and pull a muscle.
If you do want to make this more difficult, try holding a bag of potatoes on your shoulders for extra weight.

Hope this helps Susan. Good luck
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Susan, that's terrific that you are working hard to increase your strength and mobility!

Can you increase the resistance on the bike without adding weights? I would think that would be a better way to develop strength.

I would consult a physical therapist who could advise you better than I could. A few sessions with a physical therapist would also give you the best possible leg strengthening activities without affecting your balance.

If you do add weights. Start light and build up. There's just too much risk of exacerbating your inflammation or causing potential injury by going too heavy too fast.

Good luck and please let us know how you proceed!

I didn't think of extra weights on legs triggering inflammation so I'll look into that more. Thanks
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:20 PM

I think the extra leg weights on the ankles riding a bike would actually make pedalling easier. The weight would push the pedals harder with the heavier weight?
Susan68
Up North, UK

22-07-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi Susan.
I'm assuming you are not looking at gym-based exercises? But that's fine as you don't need access to a squat rack or calf raise machines to build the calves. (I use a 'sled press' machine using a toe press stance for my calves which is very effective, building strength very quickly and keeping the muscles very hard).

You mention getting some leg weight pouches to use on an exercise bike. While these are a good idea they are best used for general walking, especially uphill where the calves are used more. Most exercise bikes have a dial which increases the resistance and that is adequate for pushing the legs harder. I don't think extra leg weights on a bike would make much difference.

To build or keep your calf muscles strong without any weights try standing facing a high chair or something you can rest your hands on. Then using only your toes, push yourself up a few inches and pause for a few seconds each time until you feel the 'burn' in your calves and lower yourself down again. Repeat this about 10-12 times.
Be careful not to injure the top parts of your toes or the arch under your feet. Also be careful you don't stretch too much and pull a muscle.
If you do want to make this more difficult, try holding a bag of potatoes on your shoulders for extra weight.

Hope this helps Susan. Good luck

I've never been in a gym in my life and thought a sled was something huskies pulled across the Arctic tundra!!

Would a treadmill with an incline be more useful with those types of leg weights then? (if I could find one with side bars to hold onto)..obviously this would depend on how much better my balance got first, maybe a bit further down the line, or wait until I've at least achieved walking with a rollator (was looking at the Trionic all terrain walkers).

The exercise you mention holding onto a chair....I do something similar on wii fit, but stand on balance board holding onto a zimmer frame placed round the front of the board. I can manage it but need both hands to keep my balance, so unless I tied the potatoes to me before I stepped on, letting go of the frame ain't gonna be happening for a while yet!

Would laying on floor doing single leg raises (on each side) with those kind of leg weights help? (or both legs together like Jack-knife exercise on Wii?) I can do that one now too. - managed 30 repetitions of each on a good day .. building up to 50 then 100!
Susan68
Up North, UK

22-07-2019, 05:32 PM

I think the extra leg weights on the ankles riding a bike would actually make pedalling easier. The weight would push the pedals harder with the heavier weight?
Didn't think of that!!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-07-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
I've never been in a gym in my life and thought a sled was something huskies pulled across the Arctic tundra!!

Would a treadmill with an incline be more useful with those types of leg weights then? (if I could find one with side bars to hold onto)..obviously this would depend on how much better my balance got first, maybe a bit further down the line, or wait until I've at least achieved walking with a rollator (was looking at the Trionic all terrain walkers).

The exercise you mention holding onto a chair....I do something similar on wii fit, but stand on balance board holding onto a zimmer frame placed round the front of the board. I can manage it but need both hands to keep my balance, so unless I tied the potatoes to me before I stepped on, letting go of the frame ain't gonna be happening for a while yet!

Would laying on floor doing single leg raises (on each side) with those kind of leg weights help? (or both legs together like Jack-knife exercise on Wii?) I can do that one now too. - managed 30 repetitions of each on a good day .. building up to 50 then 100!
A treadmill would work fine but you would need a steep incline and push yourself forward into the walking so that your calves do most of the work.

I don't about the Wii, I haven'y used one in years but they do cater for all types of exercise so they may be a good thing.
This is the sled press, pushing with the toes. But they are expensive to buy.

Perhaps your nearest Age Concern had a gym with some equipment. It may be worth a phone call?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 06:55 PM

And harder on the up stroke. Not to mention the force required to get the extra inertia moving in the first place.
Susan68
Up North, UK

22-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
And harder on the up stroke. Not to mention the force required to get the extra inertia moving in the first place.
so does this mean it would help get more muscle in calves?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top