Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 11:40 PM

Re: Which Magazine - Best Oven Chips

On the subject of deep fat fryers/chip pans...my mother used to use a chip pan with lard instead of oil. When it cooled down and solidified, we scraped the top layer off once in a while to get some of the burnt bits off (my day used to spread this on bread and eat it). Once in a blue moon we used to warm the fat up and decant it so we could give the pan a wash and put the fat back in. Topped it up occasionally with some more lard. Because it was solid when cold, worry of spillage during storage was never an issue. This lasted us for literally years before we decided to replace the fat/lard.

How often do you replace the oil in your fryer?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Here's a contentious point - when making homemade chips, I never bother peeling them. Crispy skins taste wonderful.
Indeed they do!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Indeed they do!
Hi

Same here

I use an air fryer with an oil spray.

No more soggy chips.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Same here

I use an air fryer with an oil spray.

No more soggy chips.
With homemade chips, l think the quality of the potatoes is crucial. At the moment l am using Maris Piper and they are delish. Even better are the Albert Bartlett potatoes that l have grown in my garden. I have never tasted the like of them!!

Using my mother’s, probably 60 years old chip cutter, l fry the chips in my tiny deep fat fryer, once for five minutes.
I take them out, let the oil heat up again and then immerse the chips again. Occasionally, l give them a third fry.
I find the par fried chips l have frozen, from my freezer are lovely too and not at all soggy.

Yes, l know they are very unhealthy but occasionally, it doesn’t hurt!!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 07:04 PM

I never buy French Fries from the market. Always make my own using my handy-dandy French Fry cutter.

And I always prepare them with a 2-step method. 1st I fry them to PARTIALLY cook them. (at a lower temp) but I pull them out before they start to turn brown. They are set aside until needed.

The final step I turn the heat on the oil up to 365 F (185 C.) and fry them until the correct color.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	868279.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	13583   Click image for larger version

Name:	653214.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	13584  
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I never buy French Fries from the market. Always make my own using my handy-dandy French Fry cutter.

And I always prepare them with a 2-step method. 1st I fry them to PARTIALLY cook them. (at a lower temp) but I pull them out before they start to turn brown. They are set aside until needed.

The final step I turn the heat on the oil up to 365 F (185 C.) and fry them until the correct color.
Bakerman, That’s exactly what l do, except the chips are fatter!!

What potatoes do you use?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2020, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Bakerman, That’s exactly what l do, except the chips are fatter!!

What potatoes do you use?
Generally, I use Russet's.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2020, 05:47 AM

Russets are lovely.
JeanMcP
Ireland
JeanMcP is female  JeanMcP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2020, 12:36 PM

Self filtering chip pan for me

Was a bit expensive but so worth the cost as the oil can be filtered and the pan washed out keeping the oil cleaner for longer

I use Agria potatoes for chips, they are my personal fav for roasting and chipping, crisp up beautifully
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

23-08-2020, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

That is an interesting looking machine, Bakerman, never seen anything quite like it here.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top