Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

16-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Re: Come On Down

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
That's something I've always wanted to do, I have family in Tasmania, more there than in the UK. Many years' ago, 50+ now, I was going to give it a try for three years to see what Australia was like by using the '£10 Pom' scheme, I think it was called. The problem was a now -ex (thank goodness) would not leave her family so it never happened.

I have met three of those relatives, including the one who first left the UK, my cousin who is now almost 80. They visited the UK three or four years' ago. That was brilliant and the lives they had seemed far better than I have had. A different way of life totally, and from what they said a far, far better one – if only …

At that time I had just completed my apprenticeship so had a trade that was wanted in Australia, a sponsor in that I had family there, all that was needed. Now I so regret not just going, obviously the situation at the time determined that but all these years' on I feel that I have very much lost out. There it is though, if only we knew what the future holds for us!
You never know Baz you may wake one day and say I am going.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

16-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I spent 4 weeks in Adelade staying with friends. I loved it . The people were friendly . I'd emigrate in a heartbeat but my children wont come . The city was beautiful and in the 4 weeks we travelled around and walked in the city I never saw dirty streets or rubbish lying around , people were clean the streets were clean . A great place . I keep asking my kids to emigrate with me but they just smile .
We try to be hospitable to all visitors susan. We love having people stay and enjoy what we Aussies take for granted.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

16-06-2020, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Had four weeks in Oz in '84, my parents were living in Queensland. I bought a ticket London to Brisbane, one week there, then a week in Sydney to stay with a sheila I'd met in London the previous year, then back to QLD. They said I was mad to live in London, they're both dead now but had a good life there.
We are here whenever you are ready Dood.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
Yeh Barry. That is when we open our borders for international travel which is likely to be September.
That's what I heard. I have a cousin in Brisbane who is trying to visit his mother at the moment (my aunt) on her death bed in Balclutha New Zealand, but he is in quarantine there in a hotel in Auckland for two weeks before he can see her, and then he has the same two weeks on his return. Hard times for compassion....

As it happens we visited your most wonderful country last November for three weeks then NZ for a week, and would return in a heartbeat, absolutely loved it...
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 02:46 PM

How many on this forum have visited Australia.. the country of my birth. I never miss a chance to promote my wonderfully diverse land. So I decided to create this thread just for that purpose. We have plenty to attract UK people and it no longer takes an age to fly here. So what are you Brits waiting for. You have all seen Spain and other parts of Europe now is time to spread your wings a touch.
Maybe you guys are too agressive Swannie?
Maybe brits are to lazy nowadays?
Maybe ozziesntoo big for us
I dont include myself in the us though!!
Oh! Just thought of another reason!
Maybe its just too different?

Donkeymanl! 👍😇😇👍
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 04:52 PM

We are here whenever you are ready Dood.
I remember visiting the sugarcane plantations up Bunderberg way and getting acquainted with O.P. on the rocks.

Line 'em up Swannie
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

16-06-2020, 10:47 PM

As it happens we visited your most wonderful country last November for three weeks then NZ for a week, and would return in a heartbeat, absolutely loved it I know Barry you told me. Be great to have you back and perhaps we may meet next time. Anything specific you want me to post next.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

16-06-2020, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I remember visiting the sugarcane plantations up Bunderberg way and getting acquainted with O.P. on the rocks.

Line 'em up Swannie
Yeh not a bad drop dood. Lining em up for when you next visit.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

16-06-2020, 10:51 PM

Not sure what you mean Donkeyman.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 01:57 PM

Not sure what you mean Donkeyman.
Maybe the wrong word Swannie??
Perhaps abrasive is more appropriate?
Which is fine by me, but we have a new breed in uk now which we
call snowflakes,( for obvious reasons?), that might take umrage
at your rough and ready attitudes?
I dont include you in this as you seem to be extremely freindly
and forthcoming, you dont work in tourism, do you??

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top