Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 10:34 PM

Ketchup not so saucy

We bought our usual in a squeezy bottle, it came out runny so replaced top shook it well, made no difference. Taste is odd, it was sealed and within use by date, but consistency is definitely not to our liking.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 10:46 PM

Re: Ketchup not so saucy

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
We bought our usual in a squeezy bottle, it came out runny so replaced top shook it well, made no difference. Taste is odd, it was sealed and within use by date, but consistency is definitely not to our liking.
What was the brand name ? I always buy Heinz
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 11:01 PM

Supermarket own brand, could be one off, but will switch to another manufacturer's if the next bottle is same.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 11:38 PM

I buy Heinz too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 11:47 PM

Cinders, if it tastes odd, I wouldn't touch it - just in case.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 11:55 PM

I wouldn't buy anything in a squeezy bottle.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 12:42 AM

Try Stokes - their Brown sauce is awesome
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I wouldn't buy anything in a squeezy bottle.
Seriously ? Why is that ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Seriously ? Why is that ?
Because the type of plastic - even high quality - used taints the flavour of whatever is in there. Most sauces/ketchups are made with acids - vinegar etc., which has a chemical reaction with the plastic - as do Oils and Milk. The longer it is kept - the greater the reaction.

Also, being plastic, they are not recyclable.

Give me glass every time - safer, reuseable, recyclable.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Because the type of plastic - even high quality - used taints the flavour of whatever is in there. Most sauces/ketchups are made with acids - vinegar etc., which has a chemical reaction with the plastic - as do Oils and Milk. The longer it is kept - the greater the reaction.

Also, being plastic, they are not recyclable.

Give me glass every time - safer, reuseable, recyclable.
I'm with you on that Tabby...
And not because my Dad worked at Rockware Glass for 45 years making glass bottles....Mainly because glass retains none of it's contents like plastic does. It sometimes makes me wonder if some modern illnesses could be blamed on the use of plastic food containers...Some illnesses sprang up (or got a lot worse) around the same time as plastic did....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top