Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 10:36 PM

Japan Agrees on Defence Pact

Australia and Japan have taken a major step towards signing a long-awaited defence pact which will enable both countries to intensify military cooperation in the face of rising tensions with China.

Australian Prime Minister, Scotty from Marketing, and Japan's new Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga announced an "in-principle agreement" on the Reciprocal Access Agreement (RAA) after holding their first face-to-face meeting in Tokyo.

Officials have spent six years negotiating the agreement, which will provide a legal and administrative framework for both forces visiting the other country.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...-pact/12891322
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 12:22 AM

Re: Japan Agrees on Defence Pact

Has Japan been abandoned by the US?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 12:27 AM

Is the US relevant to Japan any more?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
That was my question. There was a time they were very much supported by the US. We don't really hear much about Japanese foreign relations in our press these days.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 12:41 AM

Nobody has been abandoned by the US in terms of defence pacts and alliances. But they are pulling out of some places where they have already given thousands of lives and billions of dollars. The ANZUS treaty is still a thing despite the stupidity and narcissism of the Trump years. These treaties are bigger than any particular administration in the Whitehouse. The US is moving more towards the Pacific region and less towards Europe and the Middle East. Mainly in order to keep you know who in check. Australia and Japan have mutual interests in this of course. Any future absence of the US would not stop us defending our interests in the region and standi9ng up to Chinese bullying. China is welcome in any way in the region as long as they play nice.And yes they are a nuclear power. But that, IMO is irrelevant. If they start playing with the big fireworks there will be nobody left at all. Anywhere. Oh maybe New Zealand will survive. Good for them.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I think more relevant to the need for such an agreement is the ongoing huge build-up of the Chinese military including their navy, together with the acknowledgement that the USA navy would take longer to reach the area by sea should the need arise for some reason.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 11:45 PM

I'm no expert at all but as far as I know from recent reports, Australia and Japan are doing a fair bit of building up militarily as well. Don't misunderstand me here. I am no warmonger and I would much rather see all this crap with China worked out peacefully. But the overwhelming evidence we see every day..the reality.. suggests that China want everything it's own way. Trade, business, education, regional politics, the claiming of territory that is not their own, Their bullying of Taiwan and their heavy handedness in Hong Kong. Australia and Japan are sick and tired of the "Ooo don;t upset China..Give them what they want..Let them get away with anything..because they are sssoo big and scary"..blah blah. Garbage. It doesn't matter how much they bluster we are NOT kow towing to them. Giving in to bullies takes you down only one path.And you know what that is. Look back 80 years or so. Regardless of where any navy is or what the US does we and Japan are going to do what is in our interests..Not China's. The above sentiments are not just mine. THey have been clearly stated by our Prime Minister, Foreign Minister, Defence Minister and Minister for Trade. My personal opinion is that China's behaviour lately has been downright childish. The behaviour of the biggest bully in the playground that want it all their way and threatens those smaller if it doesn't get it. Remind you of anyone else who is still hanging around like a bad smell lately?
keezoy
Australia

19-11-2020, 07:30 AM

Here I go again. Some of you here may have noticed that this subject is a bit of a hobby horse of mine. Japan is a very different country than it was at the end of WW2. Like Germany and Italy, it started a war, lost it, and ended up at the top of heap economically and in terms of living standards. And kept their sovereignty and national identity to boot. Japan is a great nation now. And it has had a good and close relationship with Australia for 6 decades. Of course the USA is relevant to Japan as it is to Australia in the Pacific Rim. Despite it's current argy bargy, it is still the pre- eminent power in the world and it is about to embark on a much more hopeful and outward looking phase in it's history. Bad news sells and we hear about the bad stuff going on in America relentlessly. But I have some significant ties there. People and family who are determined along with millions of others to see their country strengthen it's ties with other countries who share it's basic values. And trust me, that very much includes Japan.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 10:38 AM

Good posts @keezoy which explain current attitudes very well.

Regarding incresed defense spending the news from here in the UK today is that our PM is announcing what is being touted as the biggest investment program in the country's armed forces since the end of the Cold War.
Considering the EU's move towards military independence from the USA too it is obvious that quite a change is underfoot globally.

Let us hope that the outcome is more peaceful than decades-earlier similar actions would so strongly suggest.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 11:02 AM

America supports NOTHING unless it is beneficial to America.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top