Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 11:21 PM

Re: Welby

No individual can claim it!!
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
He denounces shameful aid cut , what is the daft old twerp thinking of ?
Next year we are going to be up the river without a paddle ,the country , sad to say is going to be in dire straits.
Charity begins at home I say .
Still don"t suppose he cares he is off on a sabbatical to think & pray lol,lol..
Appalling IMO.
Why doesn"t the church donate some of their mega fortune to help these people overseas ??
As you are using this argument against foreign aid I think what you are really saying here is "Charity begins and ends at home".
As the UK falls further into poverty I can have some sentiment with it but do you really consider places like Syria, Ethiopia etc are not deserving of any charity?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
As you are using this argument against foreign aid I think what you are really saying here is "Charity begins and ends at home".
As the UK falls further into poverty I can have some sentiment with it but do you really consider places like Syria, Ethiopia etc are not deserving of any charity?
I see absolutely nothing wrong with adopting the principle and practice of charity starts and ends at home.

Likewise I do NOT see such places as you mention being deserving of receiving charity from the UK. Same with ALL foreign countries.

What individual people do obviously is up to them except in the case of our enemies but when it comes to government donated charity --- no bloody way.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by the artful todger ->
i see absolutely nothing wrong with adopting the principle and practice of charity starts and ends at home.

Likewise i do not see such places as you mention being deserving of receiving charity from the uk. Same with all foreign countries.

What individual people do obviously is up to them except in the case of our enemies but when it comes to government donated charity --- no bloody way.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 07:54 PM

Tree huggers like you really get on my wick . Hope you are sending over there as much as you can afford .
That requires a yes or no .LOL
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 08:07 PM

Giving countries with nuclear capabilities more of our money is not charity.
Giving China £478,906 in "foreign aid" to teach some Chinese how to grow rice is not charity.

May I ask what a newly-independent Scotland's plans for foreign aid would be since you are an advocate for independence?
Mind you, even knowing what currency such aid would be in to send would help.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 08:15 PM

Zap, methinks if we go independent we will require to seek foreign aid!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Zap, methinks if we go independent we will require to seek foreign aid!
You've been getting foreign aid for far too long as it is via the Barnett Formula and more.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 08:51 PM

It would be reasonable and indeed morally responsible to send help to those countries that are in such a dire financial state that they are unable to help their own needy.

However, sending aid to those people whose awful plight is due to their country's political machinations only props up their own governments by allowing them to remain wilfully negligent of what should be their responsibility.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

30-11-2020, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It would be reasonable and indeed morally responsible to send help to those countries that are in such a dire financial state that they are unable to help their own needy.
Why?

NOT OUR PROBLEM.

Let someone else step in. Apart from anything else we've given FAR FAR too much for FAR FAR too long.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top