Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 06:41 PM

Re: The Crown

Originally Posted by d00d ->
".... a barrage of abusive comments"

says indy100. It wasn't me.

I must say the Crown prog does make Charles look more dim-witted than I imagine he really is. That must please some.

What is more fun in the latest series is the way Gillian Anderson portrays Thatcher.
Been thinking about this ... what I said earlier.

They (netflix) don't make Charles look dim-witted. They portray him as intelligent kind and good humoured, I think that's accurate. A young man who is bullied by his father, and forced to marry Diana when they don't love one another. OK, he sees nothing wrong with his disloyalty, but they are royalty, a marriage of convenience with a bit on the side was the norm, not so long ago.

I think each family member comes out of this drama well. And they as a whole must welcome the boost in popularity. Surely the prog makers have an agreement with buck house.

I won't comment on the narrow mindedness of the Di supporters. ".... a barrage of abusive comments" indeed, tut.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 06:58 PM

No surprise from the former butler.

https://metro.co.uk/tag/steph-mcgovern/

Despite the The Crown facing controversy for not displaying a fiction warning at the beginning of the episodes, Paul, who was present for a number of the storylines shown in season four, has described many of the plot points as accurate.

Speaking to Steph McGovern on her chat show Steph’s Packed Lunch, the host asked Paul about specific moments in The Crown and whether they’re fact or fiction.

He replied: ‘I think it’s the Diana years really that has caused the controversy. You have to remember when you’re watching it, you’re not watching a documentary, you’re watching a dramatisation.

‘There is a ribbon of truth that runs through it, as a viewer you have to sit there and work out what’s true and what’s false. I don’t have to do that because these are my years, I witnessed it first-hand.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 07:54 PM

Despite the The Crown facing controversy for not displaying a fiction warning at the beginning of the episodes, Paul, who was present for a number of the storylines shown in season four, has described many of the plot points as accurate.

Speaking to Steph McGovern on her chat show Steph’s Packed Lunch, the host asked Paul about specific moments in The Crown and whether they’re fact or fiction.

He replied: ‘I think it’s the Diana years really that has caused the controversy. You have to remember when you’re watching it, you’re not watching a documentary, you’re watching a dramatisation.

‘There is a ribbon of truth that runs through it, as a viewer you have to sit there and work out what’s true and what’s false. I don’t have to do that because these are my years, I witnessed it first-hand.

Good man.

Give him a pay off of Hollywood proportions.

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Charles is portrayed as kind and a bit soppish but definately pushed / encouraged to marry the virgin bride by the family . Diana aged 19 emotionally young and in need of love and security, already knowing Sir of course . She also said that she new she must keep herself tidy for something higher ( in the documentary) but she was in her own words a lamb to the slaughter.

After the engagement was announced it was too late to call it all off .

Charles took many books on the yacht to read on honeymoon she was a marriage of convenience but she wanted a marriage of love and loyalty.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Been thinking about this ... what I said earlier.

They (netflix) don't make Charles look dim-witted. They portray him as intelligent kind and good humoured, I think that's accurate. A young man who is bullied by his father, and forced to marry Diana when they don't love one another. OK, he sees nothing wrong with his disloyalty, but they are royalty, a marriage of convenience with a bit on the side was the norm, not so long ago.

I think each family member comes out of this drama well. And they as a whole must welcome the boost in popularity. Surely the prog makers have an agreement with buck house.

I won't comment on the narrow mindedness of the Di supporters. ".... a barrage of abusive comments" indeed, tut.
I thought it made him look like a spoilt petulant man annoyed that people were more interested in seeing his young bride instead of himself .
A young man bullied by his father ? He was 32 years old !
He didn’t have to marry Diana .If Camilla had not been in the background stroking his ego they might have made a go of it.
I don’t think it was the norm to have a mistress nor do I think it was a marriage of convenience. Marriage of desperation more like, she was probably the only virgin left in their circles,
His grandfather didn’t have a bit on the side not did his great grandfather .They were faithful to their wives .
The crown make the Queen look cold and really not very bright IMO They all seem weird and inbred only Phillip seems vaguely normal .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

03-12-2020, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I thought it made him look like a spoilt petulant man annoyed that people were more interested in seeing his young bride instead of himself .
A young man bullied by his father ? He was 32 years old !
He didn’t have to marry Diana .If Camilla had not been in the background stroking his ego they might have made a go of it.
I don’t think it was the norm to have a mistress nor do I think it was a marriage of convenience. Marriage of desperation more like, she was probably the only virgin left in their circles,
His grandfather didn’t have a bit on the side not did his great grandfather .They were faithful to their wives .
The crown make the Queen look cold and really not very bright IMO They all seem weird and inbred only Phillip seems vaguely normal .
Well, yes there is that.

Re the queen, I've been watching her closely.

And I love all the sittings with the various PMs. If that is anything close to the truth/reality, she goes way up in my estimations.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 08:44 PM

Although no one knows the exact words spoken by this lot behind closed doors, I thought the events were pretty accurate. Series 1 & 2 were particularly good with detail. The Queen (in charge), Margaret (party girl who was not allowed to marry Townsend unless she gave up her royal rights) and Phillip (wandering about with nothing to do except have affairs).

Then there were all the political events which were also true and Charles who was having an affair at the time of marrying Diana so where does the fiction come into it?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Although no one knows the exact words spoken by this lot behind closed doors, I thought the events were pretty accurate. Series 1 & 2 were particularly good with detail. The Queen (in charge), Margaret (party girl who was not allowed to marry Townsend unless she gave up her royal rights) and Phillip (wandering about with nothing to do except have affairs).

Then there were all the political events which were also true and Charles who was having an affair at the time of marrying Diana so where does the fiction come into it?
You've answered your own (bold) question in your opening sentence.

Sort of by what the series says throughout (in that the crown's preferred response is never to give a response), they are never likely to confirm nor refute that those sorts of conversations, or those stances, ever took place.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
You've answered your own (bold) question in your opening sentence.

Sort of by what the series says throughout (in that the crown's preferred response is never to give a response), they are never likely to confirm nor refute that those sorts of conversations, or those stances, ever took place.
I agree that the Royals never confirm anything but surely most of us are capable of seeing through the games they play?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 09:44 AM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...e-prince-harry

A Tory peer has pledged to raise the depiction of seniors royals in Netflix's The Crown with the Prime Minister and in the House of Lords.

Lord Forsyth of Drumlean, a former Tory Minister under John Major, accused the streaming giant of having “crossed a line”.

Referring to Netflix Lord Forsyth added: “What they are doing is absolutely shocking. It is mendacious and it is untrue.

And as every day goes by without any action on the issue, more and more people are seeing this programme, and unfortunately people believe this stuff to be fact.

“If Netflix are also using a corporate account in that way then the case for regulation is even stronger.”
Got the establishment rattled.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top