Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:29 AM

Long Ago Advice.

longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:45 AM

Re: Long Ago Advice.

Yehhhhhhh RA RA RA ..
Good old Winnie.

I know I ain't a good swimmer but I will always choose the sea to the EU dictatorship for my children and grand children to have a better future..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:56 AM

Good advice from Winston.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Winston Churchill, a former army officer, war reporter and British Prime Minister
(1940-45 and 1951-55), was one of the first to call for the creation of a
‘United States of Europe’. Following the Second World War, he was convinced
that only a united Europe could guarantee peace. His aim was to eliminate the
European ills of nationalism and war-mongering once and for all.
But how about this?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 12:34 PM

De Gaulle

‘England in effect is insular, she is maritime, she is linked through her interactions, her markets and her supply lines to the most diverse and often the most distant countries; she pursues essentially industrial and commercial activities, and only slight agricultural ones. She has, in all her doings, very marked and very original habits and traditions.’ This classic Eurosceptic statement was made, as Daniel Hannan reminds us in his excellent book Why Vote Leave, by a great European, Charles de Gaulle. He was explaining why France was rejecting our attempt to join the EEC in 1963. The General understood what the European project was, and why Britain was not a natural part of it. More than 50 years on, is there much to add?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
De Gaulle

‘England in effect is insular, she is maritime, she is linked through her interactions, her markets and her supply lines to the most diverse and often the most distant countries; she pursues essentially industrial and commercial activities, and only slight agricultural ones. She has, in all her doings, very marked and very original habits and traditions.’ This classic Eurosceptic statement was made, as Daniel Hannan reminds us in his excellent book Why Vote Leave, by a great European, Charles de Gaulle. He was explaining why France was rejecting our attempt to join the EEC in 1963. The General understood what the European project was, and why Britain was not a natural part of it. More than 50 years on, is there much to add?
I agree. We have never really been part of Europe. We still refer to the 'European diet' for instance which is something the Europeans have, not us.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 05:34 PM

Yep, I believe De Gaulle knew the British better than they knew themselves. He knew it was akin to putting a square peg into a round hole. hence his refusal to back our admittance in 1963 (and 1967 too I think).
The same applies today. We never belonged. We are and have always have been, an independent maritime nation.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree. We have never really been part of Europe. We still refer to the 'European diet' for instance which is something the Europeans have, not us.
You do not speak for all of us you know.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 08:09 PM

Churchill was pro-empire and he was for a "united states of Europe"

https://winstonchurchill.org/resourc...tes-of-europe/

"Yet all the while there is a remedy which, if it were generally and spontaneously adopted by the great majority of people in many lands, would as by a miracle transform the whole scene and would in a few years make all Europe, or the greater part of it, as free and happy as Switzerland is today. What is this sovereign remedy? It is to recreate the European fabric, or as much of it as we can, and to provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, safety and freedom. We must build a kind of United States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living. The process is simple. All that is needed is the resolve of hundreds of millions of men and women to do right instead of wrong and to gain as their reward blessing instead of cursing.

Therefore I say to you “Let Europe arise!”"

This was during a time when Britain still had an Empire. So of course he didn't see Britain as being a part of the new united Europe. But that of course changed and those changes were in many ways down to his decisions as a leader in WWII.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 09:49 PM

Brexit would never have won the outrageous, ill-timed, ill-placed, ill-thought-out referendum without votes for Boris. Boris is a chancer who idolises Sir Winston and therefore chose to back the above notion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top