Join for free
Page 42 of 66 « First < 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Re: Not going too well for Brexit!!!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Anyone eaten chicken in USA has likely eaten chlorinated chicken already I'm guessing no one had a problem with it ?

But surely we can set standards here and buy what we want. No ones going to force us to chlorinate our birds or force us to eat it !

Personally I'd like us to set a free trade unilaterally and then see what others do, I have a feeling many countries will follow suit.
Hi

The problem with that Julie is under WTO Rules we would have to offer it to everyone and they have no need at all to respond.

That would put us at a great disadvantage , our exports would be taxed, our imports not.

Our car manufacturers would be charged 10% to export to the EU whilst French and German cars would not have to pay.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Welcome back Julie

Chlorinated chicken is cheaper because they don't bother with all the health checks we do now, just wash it before sale. So if it floods our market it could put the traditional farmers out of business if they do not adopt the same practice.

In your naivety, Annie, you, like many others, are under the mistaken impression that trade deals are there to protect consumer rights.

That really is not the case,lol!

The truth is, you don't really know if the USA farmers haven't bothered with good pratices or whether the microbial washes they use are simply a belt and braces approach to food hygiene.

Also, the idea that EU farmers are 'traditional' is laughable!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
In your naivety, Annie, you, like many others, are under the mistaken impression that trade deals are there to protect consumer rights.

The truth is, you don't really know if the USA farmers haven't bothered with good pratices or whether the microbial washes they use are simply a belt and braces approach to food hygiene.

That is probably the most stupid post I have ever seen on this forum.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Anyone eaten chicken in USA has likely eaten chlorinated chicken already I'm guessing no one had a problem with it ?

But surely we can set standards here and buy what we want. No ones going to force us to chlorinate our birds or force us to eat it !

CDC estimates*Salmonella*causes about 1.2 million illnesses, 23,000 hospitalizations, and 450 deaths in the United States every year. Food is the source for about 1 million of these illnesses.

Most persons infected with*Salmonella*develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most persons recover without treatment.However, in some persons, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized.

The problem with chlorinated chicken is that chlorine is a processing aid and not an ingredient. It need not be declared on the package. People would be buying and eating it without warning.
Of course, after brexit you can regulate it, in the hope people don't buy it.

On the other hand, european countries have been dumping foods, regarded not suitable for consumption in european countries, in africa.
Why shouldn't the USA dump their chickens and other foods in the UK? That kind of trade will make america great again.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 07:45 PM

??? how do you read that into what I have said?

I was talking about British farms. We are currently operating under EU regulations which mean that we check the well-being of livestock and make sure there are no nasty infections. In the US it doesn't matter whether the animal is living in a toilet. They are way behind us on animal welfare and chickens really have it tough. Britain is a world leader in animal welfare.

But if we have to do a deal post Brexit we will be under pressure to accept dead animals that have lived in a toilet but have been made edible by being washed in chlorinated water.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 08:26 PM

??? how do you read that into what I have said?

I was talking about British farms. We are currently operating under EU regulations which mean that we check the well-being of livestock and make sure there are no nasty infections. In the US it doesn't matter whether the animal is living in a toilet. They are way behind us on animal welfare and chickens really have it tough. Britain is a world leader in animal welfare.

But if we have to do a deal post Brexit we will be under pressure to accept dead animals that have lived in a toilet but have been made edible by being washed in chlorinated water.
So you are saying that the 8billion chickens reared in the USA each live in a toilet.

That I doubt.

However, I am aware that the mass rearing , fattening and slaughter of any animal on the scales required to feed whole nations or continents does result in some horrific and shameful practices.

Nice to see you talking Britain up though Annie.

Felt good didn't it?

You should try that more often
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 08:50 PM

So you are saying that the 8billion chickens reared in the USA each live in a toilet.

That I doubt.

However, I am aware that the mass rearing , fattening and slaughter of any animal on the scales required to feed whole nations or continents does result in some horrific and shameful practices.

Nice to see you talking Britain up though Annie.

Felt good didn't it?

You should try that more often
Did you think they had their own portaloo each?!

I speak as I find rather than "talk up" or "talk down". Britain has great animal welfare laws, but we can always do better. I hope that with Brexit we don't lose sight of our long fought for values by agreeing dodgy deals in desperation.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 09:33 PM

Britain has great animal welfare laws (yes, you implemented the EU guidelines
but we can always do better. (That is the essence of the EU a shared minimum, but each member can be stricter in the way it implements) I hope that with Brexit we don't lose sight of our long fought for values by agreeing dodgy deals in desperation. of course animal welfare will be more important than economic gain for your negotiators in making free trade deals
The EU is not all bad. And there is strength in numbers, so the UK would have been better of in the EU than outside.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-10-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The EU is not all bad. And there is strength in numbers, so the UK would have been better of in the EU than outside.
Solasch I voted remain but that doesn't make me agree the EU is without fault. I have always thought it is cumbersome when it comes to trade. While regulation is good, it also stifles small enterprise. It's not an easy balance.

If the EU is to survive they do need to get a grip on being more flexible. I think the UK should have stayed in to fight for this, but then when you think about it we are just as inflexible ourselves and that stifles innovation here no end. Quite often we in the UK are overly prescriptive in applying legislation (including EU rules). I am not sure what causes this but it seems to be a fair bit of ego goes with the culture.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 08:53 AM

I see there have been all manner of stories saying this will run out,that will run out, shortage of this shortage of that,at least the doom mongers' haven't promised the rain will run out,well not yet any way.

Page 42 of 66 « First < 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top