Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 07:52 AM

Re: A Bad Reaction To Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Hi Arty,

Ours are Maynard's Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts. I just looked up the ingredient list and here is what is in it in Canada:

INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, TREACLE, GLUCOSE SYRUP, WHEAT FLOUR, DESICCATED COCONUT, GELATIN, MODIFIED STARCH, CARAMEL, CORNFLOUR, COLOURS (PLAIN CARAMEL, SULPHITE AMMONIA CARAMEL, CARMINES, INDIGO CARMINE, QUINOLINE YELLOW, TITANIUM DIOXIDE), LIQUORICE EXTRACT, FAT REDUCED COCOA POWDER, FLAVOURINGS, GELLING AGENTS (VEGETABLE OIL, CARNAUBA WAX)

Some of those sound positively lethal, Blue!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 07:58 AM

On the subject of liquorice - does anyone remember liquorice root? It was all the rage when I was at school.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I love Liquorice Allsorts but l haven’t eaten any for a long time. Yesterday, a friend gave me a box of them and l ate some this morning. Next thing, l got the zig zags (Aura) and an awful migraine headache. I took painkillers and had to go to bed as it was so bad. I also became wheezy in my chest.

I looked at the ingredients on the box and was surprised to read that they contain sulphites, a preservative. I can’t understand why manufacturers have to fill sweets with chemicals. I don’t think they did years ago?

I knew eating too much Liquorice can affect your heart but l was surprised to read, it can lower your potassium levels if you take diuretics.
They were also very sickly sweet, so I won’t be eating them again.

Have you ever had a reaction after eating liquorice products or any other confectionary?

I use to love them but found they seemed to have got sweeter,never had a reaction but don't eat them now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 09:13 AM

One major thing I learned since I became allergic to so many things is never trust a company to keep the recipe true. Another was check all ingredients no matter how small the print.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
On the subject of liquorice - does anyone remember liquorice root? It was all the rage when I was at school.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
ST we used to have 'Spanish Root' which is a quite a sweet form of root liquorice that could be chewed for days
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Yes I remember it too as Meg says you chewed it for days. I used to get bored with it and shove it in a drawer for a few months, then I would find it again and start to chew.... I know its amazing I made it to adulthood
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes I remember it too as Meg says you chewed it for days. I used to get bored with it and shove it in a drawer for a few months, then I would find it again and start to chew.... I know its amazing I made it to adulthood
I guess we were more adept at coping with germs in those days Summer. I used to wrap mine in my hankie which wasn't necessarily clean
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 08:18 PM

Sorry to hear this art , but wanted to thank you for letting us know . I often buy a box for stocking fillers for the grandchildren and won't this year . To think they are putting chemicals into the sweets is shocking .

Thanks once again , shocking to hear
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Some of those sound positively lethal, Blue!
They sure do Silver, I won't be buying anymore.......
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Sorry to hear this art , but wanted to thank you for letting us know . I often buy a box for stocking fillers for the grandchildren and won't this year . To think they are putting chemicals into the sweets is shocking .

Thanks once again , shocking to hear
Oh, susan, l feel bad now, as your grandchildren might be looking forward to receiving them in their stocking.

I was a bit suspicious why Bassett/Maynard’s Liquorice Allsorts, Jelly Babies and Wine Gums 400gm have been so cheap lately.
They were four boxes for £5 in Morrisons lately and £1.50 each in Tesco. They were always about £4 each before. I expect they put cheaper ingredients in them now.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top