Join for free
Page 150 of 370 « First < 50 100 140 148 149 150 151 152 160 200 250 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 03:28 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Mups, when I first had piriformis injury, I was told that the secondary cause is overuse (jobs that require a great deal of lifting, walking and repeated exercise from motions) and sometime a simple muscular injury from a misstep, etc.

The primary cause though, it biomechanics and injury. More women get it than men because of our wider hips affecting where the piriformis and muscles lie in our bodies, and anatomy. Some people have the sciatic nerve touching and even running right through the piriformis muscle. Having piriformis syndrome is the result of multiple inflammations without letting the muscle heal, causing it to harden, scar or stretch across the sciatic nerve.

Hope that helps!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Wildlife alert! Wildlife alert!

OGF, "wildlife" is a term used by the younger set as a term to describe attractive members of the opposite sex. So for whom are you keeping an eye out? Maybe I need one of these cameras should something interesting wander into my property

Just like the sun coming up, it's reassuring to see you re-establishing your running routine, though I wish your piriformis relief had lasted a little longer. Hopefully Kevin is correct an you will ease into some healing. Are those Adidas shoes? Interesting what you can learn about someone in a photo...the cat door, St. George's Cross flying high....

Floydy, while you are correct that I don't fully understand all the nuances of your lifting routine, I do see the macro changes in your high rep program and the order and time in which you have built your program. As long as you are feeling fit and strong, as you described, stay with it!

It is still morning here and the surf is up, so I am abandoning all responsibilities to surf with my daughter late this morning and early afternoon. Hopefully I can squeeze a run in before the sun sets because I really want to get back into the pattern of Sunday being my recovery day.

And on the subject of recovery days, there is some suggestion that as we grow older, we may need to go from one to two days back to back to give our bodies a full opportunity to recover and build muscles. Could you have that level or self-discipline not to exercise for two days in a row? I am not sure that I could for very long...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Mups, when I first had piriformis injury, I was told that the secondary cause is overuse (jobs that require a great deal of lifting, walking and repeated exercise from motions) and sometime a simple muscular injury from a misstep, etc.

The primary cause though, it biomechanics and injury. More women get it than men because of our wider hips affecting where the piriformis and muscles lie in our bodies, and anatomy. Some people have the sciatic nerve touching and even running right through the piriformis muscle. Having piriformis syndrome is the result of multiple inflammations without letting the muscle heal, causing it to harden, scar or stretch across the sciatic nerve.

Hope that helps!

Surfermom
, thank you very much for explaining.
Just one thing if I may - that last bit about not letting the muscle heal - so is it best to rest it until it heals, or keep gently using it please?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You're right about the physio, the body can only do so much healing by itself and sometimes needs a helping hand from a professional and Kevin seem to know his stuff....For the next couple of hours it felt brilliant, but as evening descended it started to stiffen up. He said it would take a few days to settle down and that is the reason why I booked a session with him on a Thursday. I can have a couple of days off running until Sunday then take it for a spin over my six miler. He believes it will take at least one more session, so I'll be back next week for round two....
You're doing great with this, Bob. I told you a physio was the best method and you've gone for it. Well done bud, keep on running as Steve Winwood advised in the 1960's...
And I tell you what mate, if I look like you do in that photo when I'm in my late 60's, I'll be very happy indeed. You have no wrinkles and look as fit as anything!

Floydy, while you are correct that I don't fully understand all the nuances of your lifting routine, I do see the macro changes in your high rep program and the order and time in which you have built your program. As long as you are feeling fit and strong, as you described, stay with it!

And on the subject of recovery days, there is some suggestion that as we grow older, we may need to go from one to two days back to back to give our bodies a full opportunity to recover and build muscles. Could you have that level or self-discipline not to exercise for two days in a row? I am not sure that I could for very long...
Thanks Suzie.
I list my routine in the vague hope that there may be someone else who has lifted weights in a serious way to myself pop in here someday. Does everybody chuck it before 50 I wonder?
It's actually looking that way as I left a number of bodybuilding forums over the past couple of years and now I don't belong to any at all due to nobody being in my age bracket. What are they like? Lightweights all!!
This is the only forum I post on full stop now, so I'll keep it going for my own motivation and diary purposes, if nothing else I guess!

- - - - - - - - - -

As mentioned on Thursday (I think it was), I was about to travel to the gym again yesterday to do a light ‘top-up’ session on the arms.
I postponed this for two reasons:
(a) I had to stay indoors and wait until a joiner rectified our blowing and flapping drive fence. That has now been replaced by a brand new one set in concrete (like I should have done last year!) and is an excellent piece of craftsmanship.
(b) Following my intense double session the previous day my chest (‘pecs’, if you prefer) ached like crazy. I put that down to the new ‘tricep pump’ exercises I’m doing which do involve the lower chest more than regular extensions which I’m used to. However I was right as rain (or sunshine?) again this morning and I hit the gym at the unearthly time of 8am! Pecs fully recovered and with a nice new rippled area forming to boot.

Where was I? Oh yes, an arms-only session. 50 minutes of high rep intensive muscle bursting energy for the guns and girders…

Saturday, 5 May 18:
Arms – intensive reps:
(All weights in kgs)

Machine arm curls:
10x25 both arms
5x25 each arm
10x25 both arms
5x25 each arm
*Nice to alternate this for a change. No rest between sets – kept the arms pumping all the way for a great warm-up exercise.

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
25x40

Standing DB hammer curl, alt:
8x16, 8x16

Standing bicep curls, across chest, alt:
6x16, 6x16

Seated concentration curl, alt:
6x18, 6x18

Standing preacher curl (over top of bench), alt:
6x20, 6x20
*Haven’t done these in a long time. I used to lift 16kg dumbbells but they were far too light today and increased them to 20’s instead. Must be getting somewhere!

Barbell curl, standing:
15x25, 15x25

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
25x23, 25x23
E-Z preacher curl, wide grip:
15x23, 15x23
*This caused my biceps to end of screaming for mercy, but I continued against the wishes of my tortured arms. All worth it for the end result.

Barbell forearm reverse curls:
12x15, 12x15

Tricep pumps:
50x20
*A different stance from Thursday’s killer effort as I leaned in towards the machine more causing less stress on the pecs.

Bicep pumps:
25x15

Tricep extensions:
40x30

Ab crunch:
50x35

Machine curls (again, to finish):
50x20

50 mins.

There’s no need to use heavy weights when you’re going flat out with very little rest. This really tested my strength and endurance, keeps me fit and very pumped up and is a great alternative to cardio.

Hell, I wish there was somebody else into bodybuilding on here!

This afternoon I'm meeting a friend (Daffy) for a few beers in the old town of Hull. My four hours of freedom per week
Thanks for reading, have a lovely weekend all
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

05-05-2018, 03:42 PM

Good morning! I am sitting here with my surfboard waxed and ready to paddle out, but a certain someone is sleeping in so it must wait. Far be it from me to wake up a teen or young adult from the pleasure of sleeping in....

Floydy, I do greatly appreciate and recognize each of the elements in your workout. In fact, when I am in the gym every once and a while, I incorporate some of your free weight exercises - though rarely the machines. I am a big fan of the Smith machine, for example, because it forces me into proper form. Others I do free weights here at home, though much, much lighter and without the same discipline. In other words, don't stop posting! It's interesting to follow what you do!

A last minute surprise for my dad has me scurrying about to make the 1K drive to my parents' home tomorrow, so I will be absent for a while, but not before one more 5-6 mile foray into the wild and wooly world of running on a few moderately busy streets.

As this is Saturday, I hope everyone finds more fun that fitness today or....fitness that is fun!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 08:32 PM

Floydy, I'm knackered just reading that lot lol. Wow, I'm in awe of your determination to keep fit.

My fitness routine for today consisted of spring cleaning my house!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

06-05-2018, 02:54 AM

Mups, while rest is always recommended, it would be presumptuous of me to make any true recommendation. I am just passing along what my doctor advised sometime back. It's a devil of a muscle though. I hope you find some relief.

Lion Queen, that all day movement can be wearing, but doesn't it feel wonderful to have it done! How are you doing otherwise in your fitness these days?

While surfing isn't the exercise that running is, my daughter and I paddled out in near perfect emerald waves to surf dozens between us and watch the dolphins fishing and playing near us. There is no feeling like it - watching for the perfect set, paddling like mad to catch lip of the wave just before it breaks, dropping in, and then turning back to ride along the smooth face. It's and exhilirating feeling every time.

After a quick three mile run afterwards, I spent the rest of the day tossing things in suitcases, watering flowers, and otherwise battening down the hatches. I do love the journey and the company of my daughter along with one of the dogs, but I could use a masseuse and a physical therapist by the time we arrive

Happy Sunday run day...or fun day...or.....

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Floydy, I'm knackered just reading that lot lol. Wow, I'm in awe of your determination to keep fit.

My fitness routine for today consisted of spring cleaning my house!
Thanks, Lion Queen. I'll keep fit this manic way as long as I'm able. Training with weights is enjoyable too and the end results are worth doing it for. Feeling good is the main thing

Spring cleaning? That's probably more energetic than my workouts. I'll ask my wife about that.
On second thoughts, perhaps not as she would probably say "Well why don't you find out?!

Suzie, have a safe journey and an enjoyable stay with your parents.
Nice to know also that you are interested in my posts, they do take some time to write out. I'll keep them going, and of course I'll keep on posting in here.

Have a lovely day all.
I'm painting my fence and maybe get to do my legs workout later, depending on time and if I get sunburnt!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Lion Queen, that all day movement can be wearing, but doesn't it feel wonderful to have it done! How are you doing otherwise in your fitness these days?

While surfing isn't the exercise that running is, my daughter and I paddled out in near perfect emerald waves to surf dozens between us and watch the dolphins fishing and playing near us. There is no feeling like it - watching for the perfect set, paddling like mad to catch lip of the wave just before it breaks, dropping in, and then turning back to ride along the smooth face. It's and exhilirating feeling every time.

After a quick three mile run afterwards, I spent the rest of the day tossing things in suitcases, watering flowers, and otherwise battening down the hatches. I do love the journey and the company of my daughter along with one of the dogs, but I could use a masseuse and a physical therapist by the time we arrive

Happy Sunday run day...or fun day...or.....

Hi Surfermom, I'm not really very fit really but I do love to swim and I'm just about to go on a long walk with my friend and my adorable little pooch. I have lost a large amount of weight and can now move/walk/exercise without pain which I love, the more weight I lose the fitter I'm becoming. I don't run because I have arthritis in my knee and I don't want to put too much strain on it and make it worse but it is getting better since losing weight so who knows, this time next year I might be running marathons lol. Would love to try surfing, it sounds fun but I can just imagine me falling off the whole time, I'm a clumsy oaf Happy Runday Sunday!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-05-2018, 10:49 PM

Well I finished the fence painting and I did get sunburnt. I think I'll be waking in the morning pretty sore...never got to the gym.

Page 150 of 370 « First < 50 100 140 148 149 150 151 152 160 200 250 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top